Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It is law that you have your lights on while it is raining, just as it is a traffic offense not to use your turn signals while making a turn.

If I had a nickel for every driver I saw, that never used a turn signal while making a turn, I could have bought the Biltmore House several times over!
Maybe LE has gotten lax pulling people over for no lights, but when that law went into effect several decades ago, they were pulling people over big time, LOL. Guess things get less important over time . . . and pulling people over in the rain - not the best circumstance.

<Oh, Emissary, you know you don't want the Biltmore House, even if you did have enuff nickles . . . heating bill . . . >
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
Yeah, I agree with what I've read, but as I stated in another post, Charlotte is not any worse than any other city its size (based on my own experiences). My own personal "irk" is the tailgating. When you're in a 35 mph residential neighborhood, you're going to have to tailgate me if you plan to go 45-50. There's a reason for speed limits. And if you DO tailgate me, I might just take it town to 30.
The problem is you could be killed. I guess that is why tailgating makes me so angry. We had a funeral in our church recently as a result of someone slamming into the back of a car who had stopped to make a left turn. That is something I wish some of the tailgaters would think about. That is why I slow down when they start to tailgate. If they are going to hit me, at least it won't be as hard.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
The problem is you could be killed. I guess that is why tailgating makes me so angry. We had a funeral in our church recently as a result of someone slamming into the back of a car who had stopped to make a left turn. That is something I wish some of the tailgaters would think about. That is why I slow down when they start to tailgate. If they are going to hit me, at least it won't be as hard.
But did the person killed ever use their turnsignal? If they didn't they're partially responsible for their own demise.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
But did the person killed ever use their turnsignal? If they didn't they're partially responsible for their own demise.
Not all rear-end collisions are due to someone making a left turn. My DS got hit b/c the car in front of him came to dead stop while trying to merge - they just stopped instead of moving on down the ramp - then after my son had to slam on brakes - someone hit him from the rear. So it happens.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:33 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not all rear-end collisions are due to someone making a left turn. My DS got hit b/c the car in front of him came to dead stop while trying to merge - they just stopped instead of moving on down the ramp - then after my son had to slam on brakes - someone hit him from the rear. So it happens.
Yes, it does happen when people drive too fast for conditions and follow too close.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
NCN

Quote:
I am sure there were brake lights on the back of the car. I think this person will probably end up in prison. You are really fast to try and defend that drunk driver who evidently was following too close since he killed a child. It is a little hard to know if the lights were on or not when the back of the car is crushed.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ani - It just seems to be much harder down here to anticipate what other drivers will do! Another thing - when drivers make left-hand turns why do so many find it necessary to "swing to the right" like they were driving a tractor-trailer combo. When I make a left hand turn, I use my turn signal as soon as possible after having passed the last side street and stay as close as possible to the line, so others that are approaching me from behind have as much space as possible to go around me on the right side. What gives? And here is a little gem that I wrote about on the New Jersey Forum

"The Buick Syndrome"

Yes, you've experienced this in NJ but its much worse in NC. Buick demographics are very telling - they market their cars to people who are 90 or older, "nursing home material", or dead people. I'm sure you've been stuck behind a Buick L- something or a Park Ave that contained that old guy with a hat on, driving with his blue-haired wife going 20mph slower than the speed limit. At least in NJ, you'll probably be able to pass them at some point. In NC, many roads are only 2 lanes with no passing area and you can spot the Buick by the 40 cars behind it containing poor souls whose blood pressure is now 400 over 200!
Thank your lucky stars that you have wider roads in more places than we do!

Figured you might have experienced this in your driving career!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 PM
NCN

I guess that is why we old people buy Buick's. They hold their ground. We have two. The average age for a person driving a LeSabre is actually 69. I don't know about the swing to the right thing you are talking about. Our cars will turn just fine.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
I'm 34, have a 2001 Buick Century and love it. My brother (a mechanic) had a 98 Century and recently sold it with 300k miles on it in Detroit. Buick's are great; big yet fuel efficient, reliable, comfortable, and fast.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:14 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I'm 34, have a 2001 Buick Century and love it. My brother (a mechanic) had a 98 Century and recently sold it with 300k miles on it in Detroit. Buick's are great; big yet fuel efficient, reliable, comfortable, and fast.
Yes, they are really good to have when trying to get through Charlotte traffic. We use our Century for the country roads and the LeSabre when we go onto the four laned roads. Our poor Century has been in two crashes. Dh was involved in a four car pile up on Independence Blvd. (Another drunk driver caused it.) I had a lady pull out into my front right wheel from a parking space. I felt so sorry for her, I must have been in her blind spot when she looked, or maybe she just didn't look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte