Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 05:09 AM

52 posts, read 48,356 times

Advertisements

It’s the sweet tea, it makes people stupid. Avoid sweet tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 05:11 AM

52 posts, read 48,356 times
It’s the sweet tea consumption here, affects the brain. Avoid sweet tea.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:37 AM

571 posts, read 547,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL91 View Post
Well good to get it all out of your system. I want to comment on a few things. 1) the tailgating issue. I'm known for that. Especially at night because the way I see it is if your in the fast lane you should be going 20MPH slower than everyone else. At night i will turn my brights on. They will move. That's the Philly coming out in me though. Also, I am quick to lay down on the horn. I don't have time to sit behind someone all day because they are out for a little cruise around town.
I'm not from Philly but that slow driver in the passing lane better get hell out of the way or he is getting bright lights and tail gaiting from this long time resident that was born here. Two weeks ago, I was driving from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas. There were four lanes and five in some places for many miles going south. The passing lane was busy with traffic and the others were basically empty. Ninety percent of the idiots driving had California license tags. No wonder their state is so screwed up. They can't even drive. But, to be honest, the gripes of people about Charlotte apply to all big cities in the U.S. Most complain just because they want to complain about something.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarino View Post
My rule of thumb is this, if you see a FL or SC tag, assuming they're going to drive like an absolute psycho.
Florida is amostly Yankees and S.C. is mostly tourists. Maybe your new rule of thumb should be Yankees and tourists are pshcho?

Old 10-04-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarkman View Post
Tailgating, pulling out right in front of you (cutting you off), and the absolute inability of folks to use turn signals!!!

Also, why do so many people drive around with their high beams on???
You have only convinced me that you have not been to other places. Tell me the city of over 1 million that doesn't do the above and I'll move there.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:19 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,958,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
You have only convinced me that you have not been to other places. Tell me the city of over 1 million that doesn't do the above and I'll move there.
This is the CLT forum. I realize that you travel all over, but this forum is dedicated to what happens in CLT. I'm not sure why you keep coming back to this thread (and I hope you are utilizing the copy/paste function to save yourself time). People are here to discuss/complain about how people drive in CLT. Yes, we know that they probably aren't from CLT as few are in the area, but they have an NC tag, making them fair game for this thread.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:26 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
Driving threads on city-data reflect basic human self-absorption.

1.) Nobody ever makes a thread stating they are a bad driver. EVERYBODY that makes these threads thinks other people are bad drivers. People only complain about how others drive. A slow driver thinks fast drivers are too fast. A fast driver thinks slow drivers are too slow. People complain about texting and driving all the time.... while most are guilty themselves.

2.) People think that everything around THEM is the most dramatic thing going on. They typically think the place they moved to is bad at driving and the driving style they brought from their hometown is "good driving." The place they move to automatically becomes "the worst drivers in America."

3.) Nearly every sub-forum on this website has a rant by people thinking their city has bad drivers from Los Angeles to Boston to Chicago to Denver to Miami to Atlanta, et... because people are biased and only able to sample what they know.

4.) Many cities are a melting pot of people from all over, especially places like Charlotte. Much of the frustration is a mix of driving styles and courtesies all in one place. Many people also don't stop and learn the rules of the state they moved to... resulting in people driving by a school bus with a stop sign and then being surprised they get a ticket and the law varied from California. People will make a left turn on a red one way to one way because that was allowed back in their home state. Some states don't have a cross walk light that is solid red and moves to flashing red, allowing you to proceed, so they freeze not knowing what to do. This is typical in places where people learned to drive in one state and then move to a different one with new laws. States where people don't move to it, don't have this chaos as much.

Last edited by CLT4; 10-04-2021 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-04-2021, 01:07 PM

157 posts, read 105,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarkman View Post
It’s the sweet tea, it makes people stupid. Avoid sweet tea.
Exept stopping on on-ramps and going 10+ under in all lanes on highways, freeways, and interstates was unheard of and not tolerated till about ten years ago..... The only problem really was elderly drivers and cellphone users..

Old 10-04-2021, 01:51 PM

334 posts, read 290,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gf424g View Post
You're actually wrong on a lot of your points... I've worked around the DOT a lot of my life and was even a professional driver for a while. 10+ under the speed limit use to get you ticketed for impeding traffic; that's actually still in law but troopers and the DOT got overwhelmed by bad drivers..

Most of the stuff you brought up are just signs of mental incompetence... People needing their hands held for basic navigation through the adult world... Productive citizens were forced to become care-bears.... We are forced to suffer weak fools...
Consult any state driving manual. Speed limits are LIMITS, not mandatory speeds or minimum speeds. The left lane is for passing. If one is not passing, he should remain in a right or a middle lane to allow others to proceed EVEN IF HE IS DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT.

In eight lane highways (four to and four fro) one is not required to drive the speed limit in the far-right lane. Usually, if there is a minimum speed, that is posted. The caveat is that one should not obstruct traffic or create a hazard. That takes precedent.

"Most of the stuff you brought up are just signs of mental incompetence... People needing their hands held for basic navigation through the adult world."

I'd take offense to that if I hadn't begun driving 50 years ago and driven through 25-30 states on business and pleasure but never received a ticket for a moving violation or otherwise.

Part of the problem with the driving in Charlotte and surrounding areas can be attributed to transplants with a mean age of 37. (If you don't know what "mean age" means, look it up). In many people, the brain's frontal lobe (that part of the brain that controls impulsive behavior) hasn't fully developed. Some people's lobes develop in their late teens to their mid-twenties. Others' develop much later. The influx of young folks has brought in a mix of people in various age groups who display impulsive behavior. This is easily observed in parking lots and on the highways.

Have a blessed day.

Last edited by Langerhans; 10-04-2021 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-04-2021, 05:13 PM

157 posts, read 105,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
Consult any state driving manual. Speed limits are LIMITS, not mandatory speeds or minimum speeds. The left lane is for passing. If one is not passing, he should remain in a right or a middle lane to allow others to proceed EVEN IF HE IS DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT.

In eight lane highways (four to and four fro) one is not required to drive the speed limit in the far-right lane. Usually, if there is a minimum speed, that is posted. The caveat is that one should not obstruct traffic or create a hazard. That takes precedent.

"Most of the stuff you brought up are just signs of mental incompetence... People needing their hands held for basic navigation through the adult world."

I'd take offense to that if I hadn't begun driving 50 years ago and driven through 25-30 states on business and pleasure but never received a ticket for a moving violation or otherwise.

Part of the problem with the driving in Charlotte and surrounding areas can be attributed to transplants with a mean age of 37. (If you don't know what "mean age" means, look it up). In many people, the brain's frontal lobe (that part of the brain that controls impulsive behavior) hasn't fully developed. Some people's lobes develop in their late teens to their mid-twenties. Others' develop much later. The influx of young folks has brought in a mix of people in various age groups who display impulsive behavior. This is easily observed in parking lots and on the highways.

Have a blessed day.
https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegisla...GS_20-141.html

Quote:
(c) Except while towing another vehicle, or when an advisory safe-speed sign indicates a slower speed, or as otherwise provided by law, it shall be unlawful to operate a passenger vehicle upon the interstate and primary highway system at less than the following speeds:

(1) Forty miles per hour in a speed zone of 55 miles per hour.

(2) Forty-five miles per hour in a speed zone of 60 miles per hour or greater.
TL; DR; You don't know what you're talking about and wrote a big post full of inaccurate garbage.

Learn to drive because you're getting in the way of productive citizens who are capable of following basic rules to keep things operational...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte