Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 AM

36 posts, read 54,716 times

Advertisements

Looking for any info/opinions on these areas and their schools. Will be relocating from Long Island with 2 boys. One in elementary (2nd grade) the other will be going into 6th grade. Looking for family friendly neighborhood and of course good schools. Any help would be welcomed. There is a lot of information out there but would also like an insiders insight. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Lots of opinions out there for sure. Check out this site for actual facts/grades.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks, I will!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The4cs View Post
Thanks, I will!
Posting your price range will allow others here to help you better

Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Also be good to understand how you decided on these 2 options only. Coming from LI I also started with a perception that the Lake Norman area would be the best fit - yet, after renting up there for a year we ended up choosing Union County and incredibly happy about it.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:33 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Mooresville Graded Schools everyday and twice on Sunday's vs CMS in huntersville

Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Relocating due to job in Davidson. $220-250 range for a house. Possibly higher depending on what we get for our house and rates etc....don't want to overestimate what we can spend though. I also heard cornelius was nice but it doesn't seem like you get much property over there. Not looking for half acre, but just enough for the kids to run around.

Getatag....why mooresville graded over Huntersville? Can you be specific?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM

488 posts, read 798,535 times
Torrence Creek Elementary is one of the best schools in the area. Do not let the trailers scare you off. Huntersville has very good Elementary schools. Any of the neighborhoods off Gilead will have things in your price range for sure.

I love Davidson but you are a bit low for that area. I think for ease to Charlotte yet proximity to the Lake it cannot be beat (yes I am biased I live in Huntersville and love it!)

Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Torrence Creek Elementary is one of the best schools in the area. Do not let the trailers scare you off. Huntersville has very good Elementary schools. Any of the neighborhoods off Gilead will have things in your price range for sure.

I love Davidson but you are a bit low for that area. I think for ease to Charlotte yet proximity to the Lake it cannot be beat (yes I am biased I live in Huntersville and love it!)
Do you have children? I have read some things about various schools about bullying and overcrowding yet they get excellent ratings. Being so far away it is stressful knowing this decision to move will greatly affect my kids.

I have heard great things about Davidson too and if we could afford it I think that would be where we would go.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM

80 posts, read 170,569 times
Mooresville without a doubt.

We did extensive research on schools before moving to the Lake Norman area and couldn't be happier with our decision.
In MGSD, the entire district performs well. They get constant national attention for their performance and initiatives.
It is a small, well managed district. No worries about zoning, busing, etc. The growth also seems to be slow and steady, which means less concerns with overcrowded classrooms.
We have not had personal experience with schools in CMS but here is my take.... It is a large seemingly mismanaged district. While the Lake Norman area schools within CMS (Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville) perform very well they are still in CMS and still have to deal with those issues. I have heard many parent complaints and opting for private in the CMS Lake Norman area but very little in MGSD/ISS.
If we had to do it all over again, my rankings of school systems would still be the same MGSD (Mooresville) ISS (Mooresville) and then CMS (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson) Lake Norman has great schools overall, but MGSD is just top notch.

In your price range in MGSD, I would consider looking at Wellesly, Cherry Grove and Harris Village. I would also consider Northbridge, though it might be a little high for your price range.
All wonderful communities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte