Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,281 times

Advertisements

Charlotte could have definitely handled both malls. This really sucks for East Charrlotte. There are over 200,000 people who live in that area who now have to drive all the way to Concord Mills. Ridiculous!! What about the people who live off of Ablemarle rd., Sharon Amity, Idlewild, Independence, etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
He's entitled to his opinion. The only way to know who's right is to build both and see which one fails. That didn't pass the mustard test so there will only be one so we'll never know.
I never said he wasn't entitled to his opinion, but the information we have doesn't support it. Market and feasibility studies go into these sorts of decisions and any reasonable person who's familiar with outlet malls and the layout of Charlotte can see that the decision to build one mall was based on a very reasonable assessment that both couldn't be supported

Quote:
By joining forces, she said, Simon and Tanger ensure that there won’t be a damaging contest between them in the Charlotte area, while also sparing retailers the difficult decision of where to locate their stores. Since the outlet mall projects were so close – only about 22 miles apart – many retailers would have had to choose one or the other mall.

“The retailers have always felt like it’s very difficult for them to make the right site selection,” Humphers said. In addition to choosing the better site, they would have also had to factor in their relationships with Simon and Tanger and which mall company would be more upset if they chose the other.
Firms back single site for outlets | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
And you don't live here now, so what's your point?
Do you have reading comprehension problems? I said he was entirely too unfamiliar with Charlotte to have made that statement, having supposedly only visited for the first time recently. And a person doesn't have to live in Charlotte currently to be familiar with it.

Geesh, I swear....

Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM

601 posts, read 964,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Charlotte could have definitely handled both malls. This really sucks for East Charrlotte. There are over 200,000 people who live in that area who now have to drive all the way to Concord Mills. Ridiculous!! What about the people who live off of Ablemarle rd., Sharon Amity, Idlewild, Independence, etc.....
I guess we'll have to hold our breaths for the Mint Hill Mall.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:03 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Do you have reading comprehension problems? I said he was entirely too unfamiliar with Charlotte to have made that statement, having supposedly only visited for the first time recently. And a person doesn't have to live in Charlotte currently to be familiar with it.

Geesh, I swear....
Him, being able to look a demographics, ect; has the option to have the opinion of whether both malls could have been supported, as do you and I.

We all know other's opinions haven't really mattered to you, so it's completely understandable.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Seems to me that the people who actually know, the two competitors who actually have to spend money to build these malls, have already made the only determination about the CLT market that matters. That is, the market can't simultaneously support both of their proposals. Hence they have scrapped that and decided to build one mall together.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Him, being able to look a demographics, ect; has the option to have the opinion of whether both malls could have been supported, as do you and I.

We all know other's opinions haven't really mattered to you, so it's completely understandable.
I suppose in your world, all opinions are created equally--regardless of the fact that some are significantly more informed than others. Informed opinions matter to me, for the record. People often hide behind the "opinion" defense to make unsubstantiated assessments not supported by existing facts, and while you may treat them equally as assessments that DO take existing facts into account in attempting to reach a reasonable conclusion on a matter, I'd prefer to engage in critical thinking and thus I do not do this. Furthermore, it's more than just about demographics as it was clearly stated that retailers would be very hesitant to commit to both locations being only 22 miles apart (i.e., market oversaturation), and even then I seriously doubt he/she went through all that trouble to analyze Census tracts or databases that retailers use to make these sorts of decisions in coming to his/her "conclusion," but you seem hellbent on defending this person for some reason--although I'd assume he/she is an adult capable of defending him/herself. As far as I'm concerned, there's really nothing left to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Seems to me that the people who actually know, the two competitors who actually have to spend money to build these malls, have already made the only determination about the CLT market that matters. That is, the market can't simultaneously support both of their proposals. Hence they have scrapped that and decided to build one mall together.
Exactly--they have spent the money on market studies and things of that nature to come to a reasonable, informed conclusion on the matter. Why some people can't understand that this conclusion holds significantly more weight than an uninformed opinion from someone completely unfamiliar with the city and the local market perplexes the hell out of me.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Chances are good that in about 5 years the 2 companies will do it again on the east side. For now, the west side makes more sense because of the population density in eastern Gaston & eastern York counties. If they get the right mix of stores, they can also draw from western Gaston & eastern Cleveland & possibly northern Cherokee in spite of their proximity to Gaffney. The western side could also draw from Lincoln County, as well.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Matthews is in Meck and Union...

I like the Tanger Outlets from experience up North.
Matthews is in Meck. All of it. There are Matthews addresses in union, but they aren't Matthew, they just get their mail delivered by Matthews post office.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Chances are good that in about 5 years the 2 companies will do it again on the east side. For now, the west side makes more sense because of the population density in eastern Gaston & eastern York counties. If they get the right mix of stores, they can also draw from western Gaston & eastern Cleveland & possibly northern Cherokee in spite of their proximity to Gaffney. The western side could also draw from Lincoln County, as well.
It will definitely draw from eastern Gaston and Rock Hill and the York County 'burbs; as far as its reach extending to northern Cherokee County, like around Blacksburg, I'm not so sure about that. Between the outlet mall in Gaffney and Westgate Mall in Spartanburg, Cherokee County residents have a pretty wide selection of retail. I'd only see a drive to Charlotte necessary to visit SouthPark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte