Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,716,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It will definitely draw from eastern Gaston and Rock Hill and the York County 'burbs; as far as its reach extending to northern Cherokee County, like around Blacksburg, I'm not so sure about that. Between the outlet mall in Gaffney and Westgate Mall in Spartanburg, Cherokee County residents have a pretty wide selection of retail. I'd only see a drive to Charlotte necessary to visit SouthPark.
People from Blacksburg shop in Gastonia, frequently. A lot work in Gaston & Cleveland Counties. They would not be frequent shoppers but They would be counted as occasional shoppers. What I'm saying is that the warm bodies available to be frequent shoppers are a higher number on the west side. there's also more people available as infrequent shoppers when you draw a 2nd, wider circle.

I know people who live in Blacksburg who work & shop in NC. If some stores are in the outlet mall in Charlotte that are not in Gaffney, believe me, they will go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM

37,896 posts, read 42,027,746 times
^Possibly...depending on how the mix compares/contrasts with those of the nearest malls in Spartanburg and Gastonia. If they are outlet-specific, then I'd certainly see them being occasional shoppers.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,770,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Matthews is in Meck. All of it. There are Matthews addresses in union, but they aren't Matthew, they just get their mail delivered by Matthews post office.
Same thing happens with Pineville/Charlotte.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM

5,461 posts, read 6,069,838 times
Quote:
Matthews is in Meck. All of it. There are Matthews addresses in union, but they aren't Matthew, they just get their mail delivered by Matthews post office.

You are certainly correct, but there is some misinformation out there from Wikipedia.. duh!!!???

====================================

Matthews
North Carolina
Matthews is a large suburban town of Charlotte located in southeastern Mecklenburg County and northwestern Union County, North Carolina. The population was 27,198 according to the 2010 Census. Wikipedia

Weather: 57°F (14°C), Wind N at 0 mph (0 km/h), 77% Humidity
Local time: Monday 8:14 PM
Population: 27,936 (2011)
====================================
Stallings is completely in Union County.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
^Possibly...depending on how the mix compares/contrasts with those of the nearest malls in Spartanburg and Gastonia. If they are outlet-specific, then I'd certainly see them being occasional shoppers.
The people who I know who like in Blacksburg go to Gastonia to do a lot of their shopping. (Keep in mind that there are only 2 incorporated towns in Cherokee County. When referring to people who live in Blacksburg it doesn't necessarily mean that they live in the town.) They also work in NC. There is an outlet mall & the main Hamricks in Gaffney. If there is something in Charlotte that isn't in Gaffney & they are already in NC, they will go to Charlotte.

When they figure these things out, they know that some areas are closer to the outlet mall in Concord & some are closer to the outlet mall in Gaffney. Both malls will be taken into consideration when they plan the mix of stores. There's more population density close to the chosen area than on the eastern side of Charlotte at this time.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
.... There's more population density close to the chosen area than on the eastern side of Charlotte at this time.
Hmm. I'd go with the East Charlotte locale in terms of population density. I'd go further to say that it wouldn't even be close. There are close to a million people within Mecklenburg, with the vast majority of that located in SE & E CLT. This number of people would completely overwhelm the population of Gaston & Cleveland counties especially when you add in Western Union county as well.

IMO, the biggest reason for choosing the SW location is most likely the land was cheaper.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 AM

5,167 posts, read 7,376,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Some type of major shopping center or mall will eventually be built on the East side of the 485 perimeter. Union County is too large of a potential market to ignore and is the fastest growing in the state. Carolina Place and Concord Mills are still a 30-40 minute drive and as of right now the pathetic Monroe Crossing mall is about the only thing out there.
That is my point exactly. Eventually a major mall will likely be built on the eastern side of Charlotte. Whether it turns out to be Bridges at Mint Hill or something else. That area is underserved and Union County has experienced major growth in population. And most major malls in the Southeast tend to be anchored by Macy's, Dillard's, and Belk. And if they are midscale they may add a Sears or JCPenney. Or if more upscale, then a Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's. But in view of the outlet mall collaboration at Steele Creek, it will be interesting to see what does indeed develop at the proposed Stallings site.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Hmm. I'd go with the East Charlotte locale in terms of population density. I'd go further to say that it wouldn't even be close. There are close to a million people within Mecklenburg, with the vast majority of that located in SE & E CLT. This number of people would completely overwhelm the population of Gaston & Cleveland counties especially when you add in Western Union county as well.

IMO, the biggest reason for choosing the SW location is most likely the land was cheaper.
Again, you take a piece of what I post out of context. They make location determinations based on population & demographics based on 360 degrees. They draw 2 or 3 concentric circles to determine who they're getting. The chosen location gets the Mecklenburg & Union County people. That should have been obvious to you. I pointed out that this location puts the density of eastern Gaston & eastern York in the "frequent buyer" distance. It doesn't mean that South Charlotte & part of western Union are not there. Look at a map. Look at the density of population on the US 74 corridor between Charlotte & Monroe & Charlotte & Kings Mountain, Ace. Where is there more population density for 360 degree circles? Plus they have less interference from the outlet mall in Gaffney.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM

37,896 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

Gaston and York counties are the largest suburban counties in the metro; I think that balances out the other side of the metro.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,355 times
Quote:
What are you basing that on? Along Providence you have homes with a Matthews address physically in Union County and zoned to UCPS schools. How do you explain that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte