Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM

527 posts, read 922,996 times

Advertisements

We live in 28277 zip code...heart of ballantyne.

I like the idea of a great home based bakery which caters to specific pastry needs.

When we visited puerto Rico last year we stayed at a vacation rental..where a neighbour supplied desserts to San Juan hotels... Her pastries were out of the world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 AM
cfr

152 posts, read 374,928 times
Any ideas out there of how to market my idea? I'm not too computer literate. This is the only forum I've been on and am so grateful for any input.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,997,004 times
You can purchase a domain name and basic web hosting for just a few dollars/year. I'd check places like namecheap.com for that. They provide free tools to setup a basic website. However for something more elaborate you will probably need to hire someone to do the website design for you. Another benefit of this is you get your own secure email service using your own domain.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:33 PM
cfr

Thank you all, for your help. I will probably have to get someone who knows about these things.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:55 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
We live in 28277 zip code...heart of ballantyne.

I like the idea of a great home based bakery which caters to specific pastry needs.

When we visited puerto Rico last year we stayed at a vacation rental..where a neighbour supplied desserts to San Juan hotels... Her pastries were out of the world...
Would you, or anyone else patronize such a business enough to support the vitality of said business? You see way too many locally owned places fail becuse they just don't get the traffic that the "big box" corporate places do because of they have the dollars and the smaller guys don't.

You hear it so often...."Darn Manzettis closed, shame, I liked that place" (using this as an example and not speaking to you directly). How many times did you pass Manzetti's to get the unlimited soup and salad at Olive Garden? "Darn, City Range closed, shame I liked that place...How many times did you pass City Range to go wait in the crazy line at the Outback for crappy steak?

You see my point

Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM
cfr

You make a very valid point. I am often asked to open a bakery. Chances are that it would not succeed because of not enough traffic to keep my product fresh. It has a short shelf life because I do not shower it with preservatives to keep it fresh indefinately. People lead such busy lives, that they might not have time to go out of their way for dessert. I was thinking about pairing up with a restaurant and selling whole cheesecakes. The clientele already know and love my desserts but how do I focus on marketing homemade N.Y. cheesecake to others. This is where computer knowledge comes in handy, which I have VERY LITTLE of. I can make a mean cheesecake, but what's a domain?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM
cfr

Oh, by the way, I see here that people will DM them. What does that mean?

Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,306,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
Oh, by the way, I see here that people will DM them. What does that mean?
Send a direct message - which you can do by clicking on the user.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
cfr

Thanks ex-burgher. I didn't know about that feature. Thanks ADA_NC.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,446,720 times
Just love great pastries and cheesecake- but just the plain, baked sort that's quite solid. My favorite had sultanas and marsala in it.
We have been disapointed with croissants we've bought from most places, except 2 weeks ago when I bought 6 wholegrain from BJs-they were awesome.
We love real bakery bread and the only loaves I buy are the 5 grain bakery loaves from Food Lion-when they have them available.
Have had some decent baguettes, but they are so expensive. In the UK it would only be maybe $1 for a nice long baguette and in France you're talking about less than that.
We sometimes go to a Hispanic bakervery in Huntersville and their pastries are good and very cheap.
I would frequent a bakery for my bread, croissants etc, but wouldn't be prepared to pay $5 for a loaf or $3 for a baguette on a regular basis. I don't understand why the bread is so expensive compared to the pastries.

I remember years ago when there weren't any huge grocery stores, my Mother used to go to the local bakery on Thursday and put in an order for her bread and cakes for the weekend otherwise they were sold out by 10am on Saturday.
Some sort of system like this might work for starting up a bakery, when items have a very short shelf life.
Other thing would be to offer delivery?
Oh, and please, if anyones thinking of doing it, don't forget to do some savoury items as well as sweet. I adore quiches and savoury vol au vents!

I think maybe many people have the same attitude to bread and pastries as they do to coffee. They like them, but they aren't really connoisseurs (I mean look at how popular Starbucks is) and therefore won't go out of their way for really good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte