Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM
cfr

152 posts, read 374,928 times

Advertisements

Plain cheesecake with sultanas and marsala in it, only. That sounds very interesting. I think I'll experiment with that. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,671,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
You make a very valid point. I am often asked to open a bakery. Chances are that it would not succeed because of not enough traffic to keep my product fresh. It has a short shelf life because I do not shower it with preservatives to keep it fresh indefinately. People lead such busy lives, that they might not have time to go out of their way for dessert. I was thinking about pairing up with a restaurant and selling whole cheesecakes. The clientele already know and love my desserts but how do I focus on marketing homemade N.Y. cheesecake to others. This is where computer knowledge comes in handy, which I have VERY LITTLE of. I can make a mean cheesecake, but what's a domain?
A lady used to sell pies at the Yorkmont Farmer's Market. She gained such a following and was so successful there that she opened a storefront. She did quite well there, until she grew ill and had to close her store. Her pies were out-of-this-world good! But she started by selling pies at the Farmers Market.

If you have a mix of fresh & frozen, you might be able to do that, too. The thing is, I can't see buying a whole cheesecake more than once or twice a year. We'd buy the pie lady's pies twice a month or more. I do love to make pie, but I really loved giving her my business. Partnering with restaurants and caterers is a great idea! I've seen the same frozen boxed "New York Cheesecake" at far too many places!

A domain is the website name, whatever includes the .com or .gov, etc. This site's domain is city-data.com.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
cfr

152 posts, read 374,928 times
Thank you CharlotteGal for the computer lingo lesson. What are the chances that a smaller cheesecake [ 8"] would be more consumer friendly, rather than a 10" cake. Is the farmer's market closed for the winter? Also, there's the health dept. requirements for food safety, that will have to be followed.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 AM

348 posts, read 849,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
You make a very valid point. I am often asked to open a bakery. Chances are that it would not succeed because of not enough traffic to keep my product fresh. It has a short shelf life because I do not shower it with preservatives to keep it fresh indefinately. People lead such busy lives, that they might not have time to go out of their way for dessert. I was thinking about pairing up with a restaurant and selling whole cheesecakes. The clientele already know and love my desserts but how do I focus on marketing homemade N.Y. cheesecake to others. This is where computer knowledge comes in handy, which I have VERY LITTLE of. I can make a mean cheesecake, but what's a domain?
You could also advertise catering and delivery services in addition to the store and selling to restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte