Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I wouldn't count Kroger out, yet. They have been sniffing around the Philadelphia market & the northern stretch of Teeters would almost connect their Richmond & Raleigh stores to that market. Because of the state of A&P/Super Fresh/Pathmark, it also could give them an entre into the NYC market, in the future. The question is whether they want the rest of the Teeters, south of Richmond & Raleigh. I don't know if that would connect them to other markets that they already are in.

Before the whole Harris Teeter thing came up, Kroger had announced an intention to enter new markets. Kroger Eyes Expansion to New Markets | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News They've also been putting up something called Kroger Marketplace in rural-ish areas in Virginia. Kroger - Marketplace
I would not count out any of them, the point I was trying to make, was the possibility of a company from the north, combining with a company from the south. Rather than taking the risk on swallowing too many supermarkets at once, by two companies splitting it up they could both benefit, I used Ahold & Publix as the examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I would not count out any of them, the point I was trying to make, was the possibility of a company from the north, combining with a company from the south. Rather than taking the risk on swallowing too many supermarkets at once, by two companies splitting it up they could both benefit, I used Ahold & Publix as the examples.
I agree totally. I thought that you might be counting out Kroger, but get it now. I think that there could be a possibility for a final outcome that no one is thinking of. Yet another chain could swoop in, though I don't know which one it would be. Is it possible that Ingles & Harris Teeter would combine? They are about the same size, & both are family owned & headquartered in NC. I doubt that this would happen, but who would have thought that any of this would be happening? There really are nearly unlimited possibilities for speculation.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
HT is coming back to Gaston...

Big-name grocer making return to Gastonia market - Gaston Gazette

Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
.....Is it possible that Ingles & Harris Teeter would combine? They are about the same size, & both are family owned & headquartered in NC. ....
Harris Teeter is not family owned. The Harris family sold it in 1969. It's a public company whose stock is traded on the NYSE.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Harris Teeter is not family owned. The Harris family sold it in 1969. It's a public company whose stock is traded on the NYSE.
Oh, OK. I knew that it was publicly traded, but so is Ingles.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Oh, OK. I knew that it was publicly traded, but so is Ingles.
Harris Teeter was actually sold to a holding company called Ruddick Corporation. It was just last year or so, if I remember correctly, that Ruddick changed it's name to HT. Ruddick has apparently liquidated its other holdings so HT is all that it has left.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Harris Teeter was actually sold to a holding company called Ruddick Corporation. It was just last year or so, if I remember correctly, that Ruddick changed it's name to HT. Ruddick has apparently liquidated its other holdings so HT is all that it has left.
My bad. I pulled up Teeter & Ingles to check on store numbers & didn't look beyond that. Just the same, this was very unexpected so the final result could be as well.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
My bad. I pulled up Teeter & Ingles to check on store numbers & didn't look beyond that. Just the same, this was very unexpected so the final result could be as well.
Ruddick changed its name to Harris Teeter Supermarkets, Inc., NYSE symbol HTSI

Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
I wonder if this is nothing more than Ruddick Corporation of Charlotte (aka Harris Teeter) deciding to get out of the high end grocery market while the getting is still good.

(BTW, this is why Publix will never knock Winn Dixie/Bilo out of the way.)
Ruddick Corporation was a holding company that owned a milling company. After that company was spun off leaving Harris Teeter as the only entity, the ownership name was changed to Harris Teeter.

Only Bi-Lo Holdings will knock itself out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Out of curiosity, what will happen to HT smployees if a sale does happen with Ahold or Publix. I was shopping at HT yesterday and thinking about them.
If the entire Harris Teeter chain was sold to a single bidder, all associates would likely be offered jobs with the new employer. If select stores are sold, associates may transfer to other operating locations or apply with the new employer.

Quote:
I wouldn't count Kroger out, yet. They have been sniffing around the Philadelphia market & the northern stretch of Teeters would almost connect their Richmond & Raleigh stores to that market. Because of the state of A&P/Super Fresh/Pathmark, it also could give them an entre into the NYC market, in the future. The question is whether they want the rest of the Teeters, south of Richmond & Raleigh. I don't know if that would connect them to other markets that they already are in.

Before the whole Harris Teeter thing came up, Kroger had announced an intention to enter new markets. Kroger Eyes Expansion to New Markets | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News They've also been putting up something called Kroger Marketplace in rural-ish areas in Virginia. Kroger - Marketplace
Kroger entering new markets may be inclusive of the Carolinas if past markets, like Greensboro, Charlotte upstate South Carolina and the State of Florida, could be probable if Harris Teeter and/or Bi-Lo Holdings were pursued.

Quote:
Is it possible that Ingles & Harris Teeter would combine?
Though Ingle's and Harris Teeter operate with the same number of stores, Ingle's has a smaller footprint concentrating on more stores in fewer markets in range of its sole distribution center. Ingle's recently enlarged its distribution center in Black Mountain and will limit itself to improving existing stores for food, pharmacy and fuel centers. Publix's expansion into eastern Tennessee and the State of North Carolina could fuel the need to be active in adding stores.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Ruddick Corporation was a holding company that owned a milling company. After that company was spun off leaving Harris Teeter as the only entity, the ownership name was changed to Harris Teeter.....
Indeed. (the, aka) This is about the 5th time this has been posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte