Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Ahold doesn't really compete with Kroger other than a couple stores in Charlottesville. Giant Landover is mostly in Northern VA while Kroger is in Richmond/Hampton Roads/SW VA. But I agree that an HT acquisition would probably make sense for Ahold as it would give them a continuous flow of stores from New England down to Charlotte along the 95/85 corridor.
I wasn't sure how much of an overlap there was with Kroger & Ahold. Someone clued me in on a Harris Teeter thread on the Raleigh board that referred to a thread on the Northern VA board. The Northern VA board referred to an overlap in VA. Those two chains make the most sense for an acquisition, looking at the east coast, rather than regionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I wasn't sure how much of an overlap there was with Kroger & Ahold. Someone clued me in on a Harris Teeter thread on the Raleigh board that referred to a thread on the Northern VA board. The Northern VA board referred to an overlap in VA. Those two chains make the most sense for an acquisition, looking at the east coast, rather than regionally.
You beat my deletion, LOL. I forgot that Ahold owns Martin's (formerly locally-owned Ukrops), which is part of the Giant Carlisle division, so they do compete in Richmond. (at first I said Richmond would be their only gap along 95/85, then I remembered it, but didn't realize that also made my initial point about them not competing wrong as well).

Old 02-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
You beat my deletion, LOL. I forgot that Ahold owns Martin's (formerly locally-owned Ukrops), which is part of the Giant Carlisle division, so they do compete in Richmond. (at first I said Richmond would be their only gap along 95/85, then I remembered it, but didn't realize that also made my initial point about them not competing wrong as well).
LOL, that's OK, I knew there was an overlap in VA, but didn't know the details.

To be honest, if Ahold bought Harris Teeter, I cold see them converting some of the Teeters to Giants.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM

If you're referring to the Teeters in the DC market, then yeah, that could probably be a possibility. It's weird though because a lot of the Teeters in that market are relatively new, and there probably isn't much you'd need to change about them, yet their stores don't really look a whole lot like Giant.

I have no idea, but I would guess the Harris Teeter name will remain, at least for most of the stores. Now, that's not to say the stores themselves won't see any changes (kinda like Genuardi's, although of course that one failed) if they end up being bought by another grocer. Like I was saying earlier if Kroger bought them, it'd probably be the Kroger-Harris Teeter division or something like that, and I would imagine the same situation with Ahold, as HT has a comparable number of stores to some of those chains' divisions.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
If you're referring to the Teeters in the DC market, then yeah, that could probably be a possibility. It's weird though because a lot of the Teeters in that market are relatively new, and there probably isn't much you'd need to change about them, yet their stores don't really look a whole lot like Giant.

I have no idea, but I would guess the Harris Teeter name will remain, at least for most of the stores. Now, that's not to say the stores themselves won't see any changes (kinda like Genuardi's, although of course that one failed) if they end up being bought by another grocer. Like I was saying earlier if Kroger bought them, it'd probably be the Kroger-Harris Teeter division or something like that, and I would imagine the same situation with Ahold, as HT has a comparable number of stores to some of those chains' divisions.
Actually, I was referring to Charlotte. Do you really need a Teeter on every other corner? Giant of Landover, interspersed with the Teeters would bring a nice middle-class option, & the profits would all go to the same pot. If Ahold or Kroger get the Teeters & don't intersperse a middle-class option, when Bob Ingle II finishes his infill in Upstate SC, he will probably return to his father's move toward Charlotte.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 AM

Here's the Northern VA thread about Harris Teeter. This thread has discussions about Ahold. https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ation-see.html

Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, I was referring to Charlotte. Do you really need a Teeter on every other corner? Giant of Landover, interspersed with the Teeters would bring a nice middle-class option, & the profits would all go to the same pot.
But then they'd be essentially competing with themselves which I don't really see happening.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
But then they'd be essentially competing with themselves which I don't really see happening.
True, but like I said, the money would all go to the same pot. Think about it, A&P bought Pathmark, which had regularly beat out Super Fresh for decades. That way, the money was all going to the same pot. Now because A & P is a disaster, it's pulled down all of their divisions. If Ahold or Kroger do not provide a nice middle-class alternative, & Ingles shows up on their doorstep, money to Ingles does not go to their pot.

As it stands, Publix has spooked Teeter. That's high-end competition. Publix will sqeeze them. They don't know what Ingles is going to do, but the closest is in Dallas. They left Asheville, Shelby, & Gastonia, where they had direct or nearby competition from Ingles. Ingles owns land just outside Lincolnton. If Ingles were to go into Huntersville, & the towns north of Charlotte as well as Gastonia & Belmont, which appears to have been Bob Ingle's plan, that would have an effect & hem them in.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
If ONLY we could get Wegmans to consider buying HT and their distribution center!!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
I'm not surprised Harris Teeter is considering selling. Their desire to have a HT on every single corner, and sometimes right next to each other, is ridiculous and it can't be a sustainable strategy. When Lowes Foods closed up at Hunters Crossing in South Charlotte due to the HT purchase & switch, they should have sold the space so something like Trader Joe's could take it over. Instead, we have these two Harris Teeters quite literally within less of a half mile of each other.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte