Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 05:52 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,364,532 times

Advertisements

This might be worthy of a new thread, or maybe a bump of this one: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...eter-sale.html

One interesting quote from that one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
OK, OK, OK, I get it. It looks as if some of you guys are catching onto the fact that my arguments for "more diversity in grocers" is full of it. Let's just say that my company stands to gain lots of money and potential business if Krogers comes to town. On a more personal level, I could earn up to a $6/hour raise thanks to the increased business that Krogers could bring. I don't think any further details are needed.

There, are you guys happy now? I've confessed my greed-based forum sins. Unlike the Publix shills who trolled around on this forum from time to time (y'all KNOW who y'all are ); I'm willing to admit to my agenda.
Congrats urbancharlotte! :-)

And some of my thoughts on the Kroger piece:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Just speculation of course, but if it were Kroger, I'm not sure if you'd see much change. They operate under several banners besides Kroger in other markets, so IMO it'd just be "the Kroger - Harris Teeter division" which would hopefully keep their HQ in Charlotte/Matthews. The tricky part is in the Triangle where there are already Krogers. HT actually outnumbers Kroger there, so maybe they'd consolidate the Krogers to the HT banner. I don't think you would see HT become part of their Mid-Altantic division as they really only have a couple divisions with over 200 stores, which HT has alone.
This article - Kroger And Harris Teeter Announce Definitive Merger Agreement - MarketWatch - seems to say the HQ will stay in Matthews and banner remain the same. I am still a little curious about what will happen in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,534,852 times
From HT...

Harris Teeter - Media Alerts and Press Releases

Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,659,747 times
Kroger was the first mega-grocery that I remember here, with a pharmacy and little drugstore section. That was different back then! It sounds like there won't be much change on the store level, which I'm glad for.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,555,202 times
Good way out of the game for HT. They were doomed because of market saturation and dominance by Walmart. As a experienced consumer, Kroger Sucks! We need a Harry's Farmers Market.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,032,811 times
I am just so glad that it was not a private equity firm.

Glad that Publix came on the scene, as it made HT improve the stores.

No such luck we could get a price war.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,333,492 times
With the acquisition of Harris Teeter, Kroger's presence in North Carolina and along the South Carolina coast increases.

One wonders if Kroger continues to increase its presence elsewhere. Looking at the southeastern United States, Kroger has minimal presence in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and South Carolina and no presence in Florida. In its current footprint, Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie is in areas where Kroger does not operate, and, in return, Kroger operates in markets where Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie have exited. I do not know if Kroger would consider acquiring Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie or expanding into upstate South Carolina and western North Carolina.

For Kroger, it has discovered Publix to be its main competitor in the Atlanta market. With Publix's expansion into eastern Tennessee and North Carolina, Kroger made the move to get back into the Carolinas.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,601,845 times
All things considered, it could have been worse. A private equity company would have been the worst case scenario, and it would have sucked to see Publix buy them. In the times I've been to Kroger, nothing really stood out to me, but if HT was going to be sold. At least it was to another local chain. Let's just hope that nothing changes at the store level.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,399,101 times
I hate Krogers, one of the worst stores I would go to while living in OH.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM

22,390 posts, read 29,516,848 times
When I was living in Concord, I loved my HT right there. Always clean and bright and good specials. I hope that doesn't change. Now living in Denver and dealing with Kroger as King Soopers, it sucks. They all just seem dirty to me

Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,333,492 times
Observing the many banners under the Kroger umbrella, Harris Teeter will operate as a division of Kroger. What will now be the division offices in Matthews will answer directly to Cincinnati. After a review, some implements of Kroger may be implemented at Harris Teeter. Examples would be using your Harris Teeter VIC card at any Kroger chain store or the creation of Harris Teeter Marketplace stores, adapated from Kroger's Marketplace format used in Fred Meyer's, Fry's, Dillon's and Smith's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte