Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, is the Ingles in Boone a very large store or a small one? Bob Ingle started replacing old stores prior to his death. I'm not sure if they've gotten to Boone yet. Bob Ingle II has continued the policy of replacing older stores, but he is currently doing infill in Upstate SC. Bob Ingle was focused on going towards Charlotte, which is on hold at this time, so with few exceptions, seems to be out of the current turmoil. If Kroger buys the Teeters, it is unlikely that Ingles will continue their advance toward Charlotte. If Publix buys the Teeters, they will probably continue the advance, at some point.

I'm suspicious that either Kroger or Publix has made an offer, since WCNC's report was that Harris Teeter is considering a sale.

Another factor in this whole mess is that Food Lion has taken Bottom Dollar into Philadelphia & South Jersey, to take advantage of the closures there. Kroger works with unions & will do non-union. they appear, to me to be the most logical buyer.
Hi, SB! The Ingles in Boone took over the old Winn-Dixie that had been in that particular strip mall since it opened, probably sometime in the mid 80s. Folks are very nice there but the layout of the store bugs me, lol (Funny how that affects some people) and the products just are not always what I am looking for. However, I did find some wonderful "sandwich wraps" that I have not been able to locate anywhere else, so that was a nice surprise.

The Food Lion closest to me (which is in Pineville) is laid out well but I hate to say this . . . a large portion of the clientele are just nasty. People come in hacking and coughing and/or with 5 snotty nosed kids . . . and wearing dirty clothing and looking like they need a bath. I know that sounds like a snob but oh well. It is my money and I can spend it where I choose. I watch these folks go thru/ the store, putting their hands on produce, their kids sneezing and grabbing stuff, and it just makes me ill. No amount of hand wipes can catch all those germs. Over the years, I kept thinking - okay, that is an isolated incidence. But every time I go into that store, I am turned off by how many unclean or unhealthy (or both) people are roaming around touching merchandise. So Food Lion is a store I dread going into these days. I won't drive to go to another store b/c that defeats the savings in gas spent, lol.

I am very very fortunate b/c w/in 2.5 miles I have 2 H-Ts, 1 FL, Whole Foods, Kroger, Fresh Market, ALDI and a bit further - Trader Joe's. I would love to try out a new Ingles, as I have heard good things. I have shopped at Publix many times over 20 years while spending time in Florida and have never been impressed . . . but I would try them out if there were one convenient to me.

My feeling is that H-T selling to Kroger or FL would be a bad thing. I am thinking they would fit Ingles better, as the Ingles in Boone matches my expectations better than any Food Lion or Kroger I have been into, in Charlotte or elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
I would also seriously miss HT... Everyone is always consistently so nice and helpful - except maybe that cranky guy in deli who won't cut the meat thin enough... but I digress! The store layout makes sense and it's overall kept clean and orderly. Granted there's a premium on most items for this and the selection isn't always the best, but I personally hunt with the VIC card like I'm on a mission every time I'm there - so I rarely buy full price items and leave very satisfied.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hi, SB! The Ingles in Boone took over the old Winn-Dixie that had been in that particular strip mall since it opened, probably sometime in the mid 80s. Folks are very nice there but the layout of the store bugs me, lol (Funny how that affects some people) and the products just are not always what I am looking for. However, I did find some wonderful "sandwich wraps" that I have not been able to locate anywhere else, so that was a nice surprise.

The Food Lion closest to me (which is in Pineville) is laid out well but I hate to say this . . . a large portion of the clientele are just nasty. People come in hacking and coughing and/or with 5 snotty nosed kids . . . and wearing dirty clothing and looking like they need a bath. I know that sounds like a snob but oh well. It is my money and I can spend it where I choose. I watch these folks go thru/ the store, putting their hands on produce, their kids sneezing and grabbing stuff, and it just makes me ill. No amount of hand wipes can catch all those germs. Over the years, I kept thinking - okay, that is an isolated incidence. But every time I go into that store, I am turned off by how many unclean or unhealthy (or both) people are roaming around touching merchandise. So Food Lion is a store I dread going into these days. I won't drive to go to another store b/c that defeats the savings in gas spent, lol.

I am very very fortunate b/c w/in 2.5 miles I have 2 H-Ts, 1 FL, Whole Foods, Kroger, Fresh Market, ALDI and a bit further - Trader Joe's. I would love to try out a new Ingles, as I have heard good things. I have shopped at Publix many times over 20 years while spending time in Florida and have never been impressed . . . but I would try them out if there were one convenient to me.

My feeling is that H-T selling to Kroger or FL would be a bad thing. I am thinking they would fit Ingles better, as the Ingles in Boone matches my expectations better than any Food Lion or Kroger I have been into, in Charlotte or elsewhere.
Ani, sometime if you are driving to Boone & can take the time to swing by, I'll give you directions to the Kings Mountain Ingles. If I can swing it, I'll meet up with you there. I sent you a picture of it. I'd suggest the Dallas store, but it's only 55K sq ft. Bob II has discontinued that size.. When a new Ingles replaces the Boone store it will either be 80K or 120K sq feet.

When my sister & brother-in-law came a year & a half ago, we wandered through Ingles while it was raining before heading out to the Kings Mountain battlefield. My sister commented that there was little difference between Ingles & her local ShopRite. She said that, for what she buys, prices varied very little & she would expect that the final price would be about the same.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, sometime if you are driving to Boone & can take the time to swing by, I'll give you directions to the Kings Mountain Ingles. If I can swing it, I'll meet up with you there. I sent you a picture of it. I'd suggest the Dallas store, but it's only 55K sq ft. Bob II has discontinued that size.. When a new Ingles replaces the Boone store it will either be 80K or 120K sq feet.

When my sister & brother-in-law came a year & a half ago, we wandered through Ingles while it was raining before heading out to the Kings Mountain battlefield. My sister commented that there was little difference between Ingles & her local ShopRite. She said that, for what she buys, prices varied very little & she would expect that the final price would be about the same.
I appreciate the offer, SB! Miss Scarlett (my furkid) wouldn't handle that so well . . . but maybe sometime I will not have her with me. I would very much like to spend some time in that Ingles as it does look like a really nice grocery store.

What I am so surprised about is Wal-Mart sales as I despise every W-M grocery store I have had the misfortune to use. They are laid out so poorly and the selection is terribly limited. I, like millions of other Americans, have had occasions when we had to run into W-M for an item or two (or use the pharmacy, as they do sell some prescription drugs even cheaper than ordering thru/ insurance covered pharma) . . . and then we decide to "save time" and grab some items from the grocery store. It is just the most awful shopping experience in America. So I am astonished that they do such a business. Most of their prices are NOT better than other grocery stores. In fact, some prices are higher. And the selection is so very limited (brands).

Worst grocery shopping experience in America: Wal-Mart.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,634,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I would also seriously miss HT... Everyone is always consistently so nice and helpful - except maybe that cranky guy in deli who won't cut the meat thin enough... but I digress! The store layout makes sense and it's overall kept clean and orderly. Granted there's a premium on most items for this and the selection isn't always the best, but I personally hunt with the VIC card like I'm on a mission every time I'm there - so I rarely buy full price items and leave very satisfied.
The story has new details updated in the last hour or so.

Harris Teeter confirms it's exploring sale of company | Consumer News | NewsObserver.com

Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
I heard if someone buys it next week, they can redeem a coupon for triple its face value.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
I'll be very disappointed, regardless of who buys it. Harris Teeter should stay Harris Teeter, HQ and all.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
I appreciate the offer, SB! Miss Scarlett (my furkid) wouldn't handle that so well . . . but maybe sometime I will not have her with me. I would very much like to spend some time in that Ingles as it does look like a really nice grocery store.

What I am so surprised about is Wal-Mart sales as I despise every W-M grocery store I have had the misfortune to use. They are laid out so poorly and the selection is terribly limited. I, like millions of other Americans, have had occasions when we had to run into W-M for an item or two (or use the pharmacy, as they do sell some prescription drugs even cheaper than ordering thru/ insurance covered pharma) . . . and then we decide to "save time" and grab some items from the grocery store. It is just the most awful shopping experience in America. So I am astonished that they do such a business. Most of their prices are NOT better than other grocery stores. In fact, some prices are higher. And the selection is so very limited (brands).

Worst grocery shopping experience in America: Wal-Mart.
Oh, I forgot about Miss Scarlet, Ani. I'm sorry, about that. Yes, I don't think that she'd be too happy.They did a complete reset a year & a half ago, & used the Publix format.

I hate Walmart, too, & totally avoid it.
Aldi is cheaper than Walmart, which means that if you work the sales at Ingles & shop at Aldi, too you don't need Walmart.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Teeter sale. Another chain is the best scenario for all.. It does make me wonder, though. In my last grocery thread I posted a link from the Gaston Gazette that Publix is looking in Gastonia & someone else is too. It was assumed to be Harris Teeter. Maybe it was Kroger or Ahold. Who knows?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Are Publix 24 hrs? I know a lot of HTs and Krogers are open 24 hrs which is kind of nice, especially early am.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
.... Most of their prices are NOT better than other grocery stores. In fact, some prices are higher. And the selection is so very limited (brands).

I totally disagree with this. Prices for most items in Walmart are significantly lower than what you can find in almost any other mainline store and especially HT. This is particularly evident in packaged food like cereal, frozen food, or most things with a brand.

On the other hand, you do pay for this because the checkout lines at Walmart are often understaffed and you really have to load and unload your own basket. It can be quite frustrating to get out of one. But people who have to economize go there because it's the only game in town for them.

I won't shop at Walmart for 1 or two items. It's far too much of a hassle for that. But if I need to load up on comestibles, and what I want isn't sold at Costco, then I head to Walmart. The savings are substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte