Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM

37 posts, read 67,736 times

Advertisements

Upstream is one of my favs in the city. Sunday brunch is expensive but spot on. Not a fan of Red Lobster, but my elderly mother is. One thing i didn't know was that you can special order different size lobsters (as of 3 years ago anyway). It was her 65 birthday and she was going through breast cancer and i ordered her and my brother (both having same birthday) a 5LB main lobster each. The claws were the size of my hand--these things were monsters and the staff at Red Lobster never seen anything that big. Not sure how good they are at that size but that wasn't important. Mother had 3 bites, brother ate both, go figure. They had a good time, all that mattered.

Anymore when we want seafood, we'll go to Super G Market on Independence and take home our own fish. If you like seafood and have never been. Its a must go to place for everyone. You pick you fish, (whole or otherwise) they clean your way. Maybe a surprise seafood meal is an option.

Whatever your choice you'll be fine. Enjoy the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM

372 posts, read 658,903 times
As a previous poster said, Captain Steve's i n Fort Mill gets my vote.....if you drive up at dinner time, the line comes out the door but moves very quickly.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
ok, so this weekend I ate at both benji's and bonefish. bonefish wins hands down. I'll give benji's another try, but its not on the same level.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
ok, so this weekend I ate at both benji's and bonefish. bonefish wins hands down. I'll give benji's another try, but its not on the same level.
What's Benjis?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM

benjisgrill.com. it's in that little strip mall between highland creek and skybrook on eastfield/harris rd, where the papa johns is.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
McCormick and Schmick gets my vote.

As to the other recommendations that I have eaten at
- Bonefish wasn't my speed, even though my mother loves their crab cakes.
- Upstream - did a brunch there and was not impressed at all
- Captain Steves (Fort Mill) - too casual. It reminded me of a Red Lobster that can actually cook a fish. They have similar quality in meat. I was not a fan of their cocktail sauce.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I haven't eaten there but what didn't you like about it? It's close to us and we considered going there the other night but decided against it.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I haven't eaten there but what didn't you like about it? It's close to us and we considered going there the other night but decided against it.
I wouldn't say "didn't like", I mean I only had one dish so I can't form a full opinion of the place based on that, but the dish was just 'eh'. I'll definitely give it at least another shot, but for the money I expect something better than 'eh'.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
LaVecchia's is closed. I've never really had good seafood in Charlotte. We had a lunch meeting at Upstream once and it was awful and I didn't care for LaVecchia's when it was open.

Frankly, the only seafood I have liked in Charlotte is at Firebirds and Bonefish and I usually hate chains.
I really miss LaVecchia's. Wouldn't go to Bonefish if you paid me, in fact the EVP tried to give me a $100 gift certificate once, after a disastrous meal there. I very politely told her no, and have never darkened their door ever again.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I really miss LaVecchia's. Wouldn't go to Bonefish if you paid me, in fact the EVP tried to give me a $100 gift certificate once, after a disastrous meal there. I very politely told her no, and have never darkened their door ever again.
I've had a couple bad meals there, but I've figured out what to order and haven't had a problem in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte