Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
....I'm pretty sure Rutgers Engineering is better than UNCC's. ....
As an engineer I can say this isn't true. If we are talking about a BS level degree, then I'd say there isn't any difference. UNCC runs a very challenging program and if one manages to graduate from the Engineering College, (and the drop out rate is pretty high) they will have a top notch degree. Graduates from the UNCC 4 year engineering program are in high demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
As an engineer I can say this isn't true. If we are talking about a BS level degree, then I'd say there isn't any difference. UNCC runs a very challenging program and if one manages to graduate from the Engineering College, (and the drop out rate is pretty high) they will have a top notch degree. Graduates from the UNCC 4 year engineering program are in high demand.
All engineering degrees are challenging but you are dead wrong when it comes to which program is better.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpHere View Post
I'm glad I found this website. I've been trying to get CURRENT info about the city about UNCC.

About me: I live in New York, but I grew up in Charlotte. (My parents moved). I've been accepted to UNCC and to Rutgers and I've been offered scholarships to both. I plan to major in engineering.

My friends who attend UNCC say that the engineering department is okay and that the campus is huge, but campus crime is a major problem as is crime around the campus. That seems to be the consensus among some of the people in this forum.

I came across this blog while I was reading about Charlotte in this forum: Thinking of Attending UNCC? Think Again!: For Those Who Are Considering Attending UNCC

Some of the blog's news articles about apartment sharing, transgendered housing, and CRIME have me reconsidering my initial desire: to go back to where I came from. I left Charlotte about four years ago, and my memory of that area is that there were some rough spots, but my friends (who are Charlotte natives and attend UNCC now) say that the entire campus is surrounded by bad neighborhoods. SpotCrime confirms that the area is, indeed, surrounded by bad neighborhoods. My friends live with their parents and have cars, but I'll live on campus and won't have a car, so the crime factor is a major consideration for me. I've read that the area is no worse than any other college located in the city, but I don't think so. I live in NYC and visit friends at NYU. The City seems to be a safer place than Charlotte.

I will be flying down for Easter to visit family and to check out the area for myself, but I'd appreciate hearing about the UNCC campus and the surrounding area from people who either live in that area or go to school there.

Thanks!
I'd ask on the education board.

Just some food for thought. My nephew was accepted early at New Brunswick. When he got accepted into the engineering dept at Pitt he passed on New Brunswick. He had a job before his graduation (this was prior to the economic collapse. so don't bet on that.) He later got a masters from Drexel.

Rutgers University is not the same school as when it was Rutgers College( all male - females went to Livingston College) That said, UNCC is not Chapel Hill. Rutgers is just the state university of NJ. Both states have been slashing away. Check on the education board. Someone there may be able to give you a better break down. If they seem to be about the same, go with the campus that you prefer. You have to live there.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
.... That said, UNCC is not Chapel Hill. .....
In regards to engineering it should be noted that UNC-Chapel Hill does not have an engineering program.

The other big state school for engineering in NC is NC State located in Raleigh. NC State does offer up a different mix of engineering study such as nuclear engineering. (they have a controversial reactor right on campus in downtown Raleigh) The prospective engineering student should choose a school based on the discipline they wish to study as every engineering school has it's specialties. The other consideration are the ties the University has to private industry. UNCC for example has had a long history with Duke Energy, Westinghouse, IBM and numerous others.

My recommendation, as someone who has had the job of sifting through resumes of college new hires for engineering, is to focus on 1. keeping grades up and 2. getting practical experience while in school. This can be best accomplished with summer internships or even better entering the school's co-op program if they have one. Someone with a resume with this kind of experience will automatically move to the top of the list. The least important criteria is the school they went to. For entry level engineering jobs, the school isn't much of a consideration at all.

Last edited by frewroad; 02-16-2013 at 02:58 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Top Engineering schools ranked in order:
Top Engineering Colleges - Best Engineering Schools & Colleges in USA
notes:
Rutgers is there.
UNCC is not.
UNC-CH is there.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 6,469 times
As I mentioned in my first post, I have scholarships, so cost isn't a concern at all. Rutgers doesn't have the crime problems that UNCC seems to be having that have been reported in the the Charlotte Observer and other news sources. There were three rapes last year at UNCC, two in the women's dorms and one in a class room building. It seems like CMPD security isn't equipped to deal with the community that surrounds it. Maybe that'll change. I don't know. Maybe it's just a lie on that blog.

I visited Charlotte last year, but I didn't go to the campus. Judging by the photos I've seen in the 49er mag, the school has expanded a lot.

I'd just like to go to school in my home town.

Is that blog Thinking of Attending UNCC just spam? It looks like legit crime news. I almost got sucked into that. Thanks for pointing it out to me. It looks pretty convincing. (There was even a You Tube film of a guy's room mate stealing from him). Why is that guy faking all of that news? There are like 400 crime articles on the blog, all faked from local TV and newspaper reports, I guess. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

The commuter aspect doesn't appeal to me. Living on-campus there (or even near campus) without a car would be like living at high school on weekends.

I'll have to do more research.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
In regards to engineering it should be noted that UNC-Chapel Hill does not have an engineering program.

The other big state school for engineering in NC is NC State located in Raleigh. NC State does offer up a different mix of engineering study such as nuclear engineering. (they have a controversial reactor right on campus in downtown Raleigh) The prospective engineering student should choose a school based on the discipline they wish to study as every engineering school has it's specialties. The other consideration are the ties the University has to private industry. UNCC for example has had a long history with Duke Energy, Westinghouse, IBM and numerous others.

My recommendation, as someone who has had the job of sifting through resumes of college new hires for engineering, is to focus on 1. keeping grades up and 2. getting practical experience while in school. This can be best accomplished with summer internships or even better entering the school's co-op program if they have one. Someone with a resume with this kind of experience will automatically move to the top of the list. The least important criteria is the school they went to. For entry level engineering jobs, the school isn't much of a consideration at all.
Not true, North Carolina A&T in Greensboro has a strong engineering program and offers curriculums such as chemical engineering not offered at UNCC. For many years A&T was second only to NC State in terms of engineering programs amongst NC public universities but UNCC has made great strides. A&T is the leading producer of african american engineers in the United States at the BS, MS and PhD levels. I attended both A&T and UNCC engineering programs and A&T's program is as strong as UNCCs - and stronger depending on specific area of concentration. Although A&T is smaller than UNCC and NC State, it's big in engineering and does quite well in research dollars.

And I do agree, for an undergraduate engineering degree only the top tier schools such as MIT, Stanford, etc. make much of a difference to employers. Basically, keep a 3.0+ gpa, get some internship/co-op work experience and it really doesn't make much of a difference what undergraduate engineering program you attend.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not true, North Carolina A&T in Greensboro has a strong engineering program and offers curriculums such as chemical engineering not offered at UNCC. ....
You are absolutely correct. I neglected to include NC A&T which was my mistake. I would not have any problem hiring an engineer from that program especially if they had relevant intern or co-op experience.

UNCC, NC STATE, and NC A&T are the 3 big engineering schools in the UNC system

Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Top Engineering schools ranked in order:
Top Engineering Colleges - Best Engineering Schools & Colleges in USA
notes:
Rutgers is there.
UNCC is not.
UNC-CH is there.
This proves that source of information is mostly worthless. UNC-CH does not have a school of Engineering. Given this, I wouldn't put any stock in their rankings either.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
What type of engineering?

I would evaluate based on the exact engineering program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte