Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 6,478 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I found this website. I've been trying to get CURRENT info about the city about UNCC.

About me: I live in New York, but I grew up in Charlotte. (My parents moved). I've been accepted to UNCC and to Rutgers and I've been offered scholarships to both. I plan to major in engineering.

My friends who attend UNCC say that the engineering department is okay and that the campus is huge, but campus crime is a major problem as is crime around the campus. That seems to be the consensus among some of the people in this forum.

I came across this blog while I was reading about Charlotte in this forum: Thinking of Attending UNCC? Think Again!: For Those Who Are Considering Attending UNCC

Some of the blog's news articles about apartment sharing, transgendered housing, and CRIME have me reconsidering my initial desire: to go back to where I came from. I left Charlotte about four years ago, and my memory of that area is that there were some rough spots, but my friends (who are Charlotte natives and attend UNCC now) say that the entire campus is surrounded by bad neighborhoods. SpotCrime confirms that the area is, indeed, surrounded by bad neighborhoods. My friends live with their parents and have cars, but I'll live on campus and won't have a car, so the crime factor is a major consideration for me. I've read that the area is no worse than any other college located in the city, but I don't think so. I live in NYC and visit friends at NYU. The City seems to be a safer place than Charlotte.

I will be flying down for Easter to visit family and to check out the area for myself, but I'd appreciate hearing about the UNCC campus and the surrounding area from people who either live in that area or go to school there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,339,609 times
My son attends UNC Charlotte. He lives off campus but the complex is practically on campus. He is closer than some of the university housing - closer than the frat houses. He has had no issues with crime other than having some of his food stolen out of a dorm kitchen refrigerator during one of the summer sessions.

I think you can compare the schools' programs and not worry too much about urban crime being worse at either. Have you visited UNC Charlotte recently?

And I should add, here is a link to an editorial article in today's paper From UNC Charlotte Chancellor Philip L. Dubois on why it is a great value (for in state students)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by XcapefromNJ; 02-15-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,361,008 times
Pretty much agree with Xcapefrom NJ. Yeah there might be some crime around UNCC but I don't think it's much if any worse than New Brunswick/Piscataway (or many other cities with college campuses for that matter).

My sister graduated with an engineering degree from Rutgers and I think it is pretty well-regarded in that aspect, but I have no idea how UNCC's reputation compares.

Also keep in mind that Rutgers has 10K more undergraduates, and I don't know the numbers but I think UNCC might have a higher % of commuters.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,296,474 times
I don't think you will have a problem especially if you live near or on campus. Some of the area Apt complexes further away have issues because non-students live in them also. You really should visit - it's a beautiful campus with lots of greenery, and great weather. There is even a 7 mile greenway trail for biking/running/walking which goes right through campus.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,669,678 times
UNCC is doing big things... with that being said. I'm pretty sure Rutgers Engineering is better than UNCC's. Crime? LOL.. every campus has it but UNCC is pretty safe.

The link you provided is horrible. 2 comments on a blog? Why waste time scaring yourself with that useless blog. More than likely it's a former student or parent who's kid got a D or didn't get accepted.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM

IIRC the person that wrote that blog tried to spam this forum a couple times. Wasn't one of the articles about a murder that happened in Gastonia or something?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Yep... I think they were trying to gain traffic but the board exposed their agenda. Rutgers was ranked 3rd for most dangerous campus in a 2010 study.

If I didnt have a car and had to be on a college campus I would probably lean towards Rutgers.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM

Yeah I'm not sure if there's any facts behind it but people always seem to claim that Rutgers is the STD capital of the country or something

Old 02-15-2013, 01:07 PM

286 posts, read 689,700 times
My son is in first year at UNCC - has not had any problems. He lives on campus. He loves it. Crime is everywhere. The campus is beautiful and steadily making improvements.

My son initially thought he would transfer after the first year, but that has since changed. He has met new friends, participates in campus activities, etc.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeLocks View Post
My son is in first year at UNCC - has not had any problems. He lives on campus. He loves it. Crime is everywhere. The campus is beautiful and steadily making improvements.

My son initially thought he would transfer after the first year, but that has since changed. He has met new friends, participates in campus activities, etc.
UNCC is probably a better value if cost is a concern. I was at the VCU vs UNCC game last Saturday and a friend was shocked at how improved the campus is since the last time he was on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte