Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
For overall job availability I'd suggest looking at the area around Greenville, SC & Spartanburg. Columbia could work because it's the state capital. You should ask on those boards.
I agree with this. I was in Charlotte for three years and couldn't find a job in my field. I could have moved to Columbia or Raleigh though and had one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree with this. I was in Charlotte for three years and couldn't find a job in my field. I could have moved to Columbia or Raleigh though and had one.
I'm not certain as to why you couldn't find a job in Charlotte but every case is different...I'm sure there are people in Raleigh/Columbia who couldn't finds jobs there but could find jobs in Charlotte...coincidentally, we have such a person who works with us and still lives in the RDU area (weekends). This person claims they couldn't find anything in their field in Raleigh (1 year of unemployment...well educated, etc). Every case is different and do think Charlotte and Atlanta have more opportunities than Columbia or Greenville...it's competitive everywhere. You could've easily worked in Columbia or Raleigh and continued to look for opportunities in Charlotte.

There seems to be a lot of hyperbole with respect to the difference in 7%, 8% or 9% unemployment...and smaller metros means less job opportunities.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
There are jobs here but it's more of the luck of the draw or if you know someone or simply the best candidate with all the qualifications/degrees. From what OP describes, she doesn't have those. Plus she wants to rent in the $1000 range and no retail job will pay that here. At least in a smaller city where it's cheaper to live and she can support herself with retail jobs or have a better chance at a payroll/clerical job. Here that type is scarce.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:49 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I'm not certain as to why you couldn't find a job in Charlotte but every case is different...I'm sure there are people in Raleigh/Columbia who couldn't finds jobs there but could find jobs in Charlotte...coincidentally, we have such a person who works with us and still lives in the RDU area (weekends). This person claims they couldn't find anything in their field in Raleigh (1 year of unemployment...well educated, etc). Every case is different and do think Charlotte and Atlanta have more opportunities than Columbia or Greenville...it's competitive everywhere. You could've easily worked in Columbia or Raleigh and continued to look for opportunities in Charlotte.

There seems to be a lot of hyperbole with respect to the difference in 7%, 8% or 9% unemployment...and smaller metros means less job opportunities.
Neither party mentioned in the OP has a college degree. Greenville/Spartanburg has lots of jobs that would be a lot easier for them to get. Don't forget the BMW plant. There are lots of factory jobs & those factories have offices.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
I'd actually choose Juneau over Charlotte, better weather.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:45 PM

11 posts, read 16,714 times
Thank you all for your input. Im going to see what information I can find now about columbia and greenville areas now. Unemployment is something I dont really want to take a risk on as this move is to better my situation for my son, not worsen it. Thank you so much for your information! If you have any info about Greenville or columbia please let me know everything you can ")

Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 AM

63 posts, read 141,434 times
Not sure if you have plans for child care, but child care is expensive here! My wife is no longer working because 1/3 of her salary went to childcare and when she lost her job, she knew any job that paid less than what she had made would not be worth it after child care costs. Expect to pay a minimum of 7-800 a month on child care at the cheapest national daycares and much more anywhere else. If you have two kids, a kid on the way or plan for another, expect maybe a 10% discount on the second child so you're looking at 14-1500 a month for two kids in daycare. That will seriously cut into a lower wage job if not make it not even worth it to work. Also, a warning on housing (we learned the hard way through a B&E), anything under 1000-1200 in most cases will fall into heavy crime areas. Google the charlotte crime map and do quick searches of properties. You can search back to 2010 and in increments of within 1000' to .5 mile from the address you are interested in. The problem I see is that the city is gentrifying from the inside out and so there are few areas immune from regular crime unless you live in the really wealthy areas. The inner city is hip and so its a mix of poverty and gentrification, while the outer areas that are still charlotte are full of new houses that are now mostly comprised of low income renters. We were here three weeks and had a break in. Didn't know about the Charlotte Crime map search tool until after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte