Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:47 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times

Advertisements

If you want something unique and tasty, check out El Rey De las Fritas. Fritas are a chorizo hamburger of sorts. It's the only place that makes them really delicious. Order a mamey or trigo ( think honey smacks cereal) milkshake to go with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:10 PM

93 posts, read 184,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I'm visiting Salisbury and I googled things to do. I'm wondering though which is better? BBQ or Cuban. Especially if that restaurant is good because I've yet to find a good Cuban place since moving here. Have visited all between Rock hill to Steele creek, still haven't found a good one.

Anything I should check out while in the area? Saw that lazy five is near there too?
You didn't like Carlos Cafe in Tega Cay? I'm originally from Miami as well and love their Vaca Frita as well as the Masas de Puerco @ Carlos'.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 PM

I hadn't heard of that one in tega cay. Just the one in Steele creek, rock hill, fort mill and another one near uptown I think.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 AM

93 posts, read 184,731 times
You'll have to try it. The owner is Cuban and from Miami as well. Their Mojo is OK, they use limes instead of sour oranges. Everything else is just like good Cuban from 305. My wife has been a sweetheart, she's tried Cuban with me in every place we could find. She found this place for me on Father's Day because she knew how badly I was craving it.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 AM

372 posts, read 659,109 times
I am a "cubano" also.....Carlos' in Tega Cay is about as close as you can find in the area. I have given the one in Steele Creek 2 or 3 tries and come away unimpressed....I have learned how to cook some of my favorites ("tamal en cazuela" and "fritas") because I can't get them locally!

Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
why would Cuban food be something worth looking for? There's not a large Cuban population around. Gonna have to stick with BBQ, but it's "carolina style"

I find the first part of that sentence abit offensive. I am caucasian, but married to a Puerto Rican and from Miami/Ft Lauderdale. We miss that food. Why would only cuban people eat cuban food, its amazing!

Momtothree... I take it you tried A Piece of Havana in Charlotte near Carowinds? Cuban, Spanish and Latin Cuisine: A Piece of Havana - Cuban restaurant - - Charlotte, North Carolina

My family and I really enjoy their food.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
Quote:
If you want something unique and tasty, check out El Rey De las Fritas. Fritas are a chorizo hamburger of sorts. It's the only place that makes them really delicious. Order a mamey or trigo ( think honey smacks cereal) milkshake to go with.
First time I have heard that place mentioned in a long while. Brother in law raved about the place.

My Miami addiction is Rio Crystal on Bird road.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
First time I have heard that place mentioned in a long while. Brother in law raved about the place.

I have not heard of Rio Crystal. Have to check them out if I ever go back to Miami. It's been years. I grew up eating at El Rey as well and even worked down the street where I used to lunch there frequently. My waistline suffered! I think my main problem with all the cuban restaurants I have tried here is that they are very bland. To me Cuban cuisine is very citrusy, garlicky and full of flavor. I think here to appeal to a broader audience, they tone it down.

Well it's settled, after planning out our day we decided to do both. We are going to grab cuban for lunch and bbq for dinner. Thanks all, will let you know how it goes. Incidentally, the suggestions for South Park were excellent. I need to visit over there more often and just suck up the drive.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
Quote:
Well it's settled, after planning out our day we decided to do both. We are going to grab cuban for lunch and bbq for dinner. Thanks all, will let you know how it goes. Incidentally, the suggestions for South Park were excellent. I need to visit over there more often and just suck up the drive.

Just for reference the menu for Rio is listed here.

http://southflorida.menupages.com/re...o-cristal/menu

Let us know how the cuban is, may be worth a road trip

Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 AM

468 posts, read 826,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post

Thanks for the tip.

I used to go to Mama Inez on Bird Rd. because I would stay in the motel nearby. They went out of business about 4 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte