Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 04:09 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,888,523 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Salisbury and I googled things to do. I'm wondering though which is better? BBQ or Cuban. Especially if that restaurant is good because I've yet to find a good Cuban place since moving here. Have visited all between Rock hill to Steele creek, still haven't found a good one.

Anything I should check out while in the area? Saw that lazy five is near there too?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 PM

540 posts, read 1,710,842 times
why would Cuban food be something worth looking for? There's not a large Cuban population around. Gonna have to stick with BBQ, but it's "carolina style"

Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 PM

16,786 posts, read 8,279,574 times
Both are very good. Lazy 5 is a great place for the kids. Check out the train museum in Spencer your kids will have a lot of fun. Dan Nichols park has a great area to play and a great snakehouse. If staying there is a new Courtyard to sleep at.
Can rent a boat at Tamaric Marina and hang out on the lake.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM

545 posts, read 598,860 times
The Cuban restaurant in Salisbury is VERY good!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 PM

As for why with the Cuban food, my family is Cuban and I'm from Miami. I miss it! I cook it of course but it's nice to go out and order it.. BBQ I can get everywhere but as you noted, Cuban is very hard to find. If the Mambo Grill is not worth it then I would go to Lexington and try their BBQ. Just staying for a few hours there, thanks for the suggestions. My kids love snakes!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 PM

468 posts, read 830,587 times
momtothree, let me know what you think of the Cuban food at the Mambo. I had lunch there one day and it seemed to be OK.

There used to be a good place in the Pineville area quite a few years ago but no longer.

That is all I ever eat when I go to Miami. Hope I get a chance to visit there again this year. Would like to try La Carreta.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,696,457 times
In Salisbury definitely go to Dan Nicolas Park.
Edit I see Boss also recommended.
If you do venture to Lexington this info comes in handy for the fall festival too. I rate the BBQ in this order BBQ Center #1 (also known as Honey Monks) Speedys use to be #2 but they changed their dip (sauce) its thick and sweet to me now). BBQ Center this place looks like it did in 50.s then Jimmy's I like this place as it right off interstate.

The Candy Factory is a must evil its old fashion candy shop. Timberlake gallery is gorgeous and it has a elegant coffee shop too. Bob Timberlake design the building the furniture and features his paintings.

Salisbury downtown is taken life.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
momtothree, let me know what you think of the Cuban food at the Mambo. I had lunch there one day and it seemed to be OK.

There used to be a good place in the Pineville area quite a few years ago but no longer.

That is all I ever eat when I go to Miami. Hope I get a chance to visit there again this year. Would like to try La Carreta.
If you do go, go to the original one near 8th street in Little Havana. I grew up in the area walking there for lunch with my Abuelo. :-)

Old 07-30-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
In Salisbury definitely go to Dan Nicolas Park.
Edit I see Boss also recommended.
If you do venture to Lexington this info comes in handy for the fall festival too. I rate the BBQ in this order BBQ Center #1 (also known as Honey Monks) Speedys use to be #2 but they changed their dip (sauce) its thick and sweet to me now). BBQ Center this place looks like it did in 50.s then Jimmy's I like this place as it right off interstate.

The Candy Factory is a must evil its old fashion candy shop. Timberlake gallery is gorgeous and it has a elegant coffee shop too. Bob Timberlake design the building the furniture and features his paintings.

Salisbury downtown is taken life.
Thank you, will definitely have to check out the candy shop.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:21 PM

468 posts, read 830,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If you do go, go to the original one near 8th street in Little Havana. I grew up in the area walking there for lunch with my Abuelo. :-)
That is the one!

I did get to Versailles up the street but everyone has been telling me I should have gone to La Caretta.

I love the food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte