Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 06:43 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times

Advertisements

You are entitled to your own opinion, but it seems to be biased based on something...

To compare Newton to Delhomme during his "good years" is one thing, but earlier you implied that Delhomme actually had anything left when they let him go.

Even during his "good years," Delhomme's best QB rating over the course of a full season was 88.1 In Newton's second year his is 88.0. Throw in Newton's rushing TD's and his only 2 years in the league are arguably better than any of Delhomme's. The only thing Delhomme has on Newton is some team success, but if you give Newton a chance he will have some as well.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You are entitled to your own opinion, but it seems to be biased based on something...

To compare Newton to Delhomme during his "good years" is one thing, but earlier you implied that Delhomme actually had anything left when they let him go.

Even during his "good years," Delhomme's best QB rating over the course of a full season was 88.1 In Newton's second year his is 88.0. Throw in Newton's rushing TD's and his only 2 years in the league are arguably better than any of Delhomme's. The only thing Delhomme has on Newton is some team success, but if you give Newton a chance he will have some as well.
Well put based on inferences from other post...

Delhomme also had a young Steve Smith and Mushin Muhammad..and later on a Ricky Proehl. If not for a few coaching blunders and a few team errors (yes, including Cam for the Cam-haters), the team is 10-5 or 9-6.

The upcoming game with New Orleands is a big week to really assess where the team is heading. Cam had a so-so week but the Raiders (being the Raiders) got to him a bit..with all the cheap shots.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:

I don't quite understand your first paragraph but if you mean that I am biased based on something, you are right. I see Newton as a spoiled brat concerned with himself as a star and sees a loss as an event that makes 'him' look bad without genuine regard for the other players or even the team. I feel he does more against the spirit of the team than for it. He simply is not a motivator and has had the gift of being over praised during his first year by the press and announcers that hasn't only deglorified other players, but have put expectations on Newton that may be beyond his reach as we have seen on many occasions.

I wish the team the best and hope that they will continue their wins.

I had much more respect for Delhomme as he was a real team player and seemed the team seemed to function as one, not just a quarterback. Delhomme, Smith, Mo, Williams, and others were a true successful functioning unit until the last two years. It hasn't happened yet with the Panthers.

I hope that the Panthers turn things around next year, but they will have to get it together and get away from the press and the one team man thing.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Newton is 23 years old. Delhomme was 24 before he even played a down in the NFL and 28 when he first played for the Panthers. Give Cam a chance to mature before defining him as not a team player.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,450,753 times
Quote:
Aaaand Newton moves ahead of Andy Dalton for 13th in the NFL in QB rating. Fortunately for Dalton he has a better team around him.

Edit: Yes I know Dalton beat the Steelers yesterday and Dalton had to make one pass to set up the game-winning FG, but that's about all he did. Their only TD was of the defensive variety and on their only other scoring drive they had he completed one pass.
A dig at me? One team is going to the playoffs... And Newton doesn't play there

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Newton is 23 years old. Delhomme was 24 before he even played a down in the NFL and 28 when he first played for the Panthers. Give Cam a chance to mature before defining him as not a team player.
I'm not alone. I hope he matures.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:27 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,799,251 times
I agree he needs to mature. It seems as if the "older" players like Steve Smith are trying to mentor him and show him the right way. After yesterday's episode where he bumped the referee (Which he should have been ejected for) Smith went to the referee and then chesed down Cam on the sidelines to discuss it. I have read many articles where they have tried to teach him the right way to act.

He is a talented young man, no doubt about that. I hope he sticks around and becomes great!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Who cares how a name is spelled? If you are going to be such stickler for grammar and/or spelling, put a comma after the word 'much,' and why the apostrophe in the word seasons? If you wi****h to wear the intellect hat, playith the role.

There is no need get crazy. I have as much right as anyone to voice my opinion as anyone. I think that Newton is an average quarterback and not comparable to Dehlomme during his good years. Again, my opinion.
This isnt about grammar. I have never heard a fan miss the good ole days of a player while misspelling his name.Its sports 101... never tell someone you miss the days if "insert name" while mispronouncing it, misspelling it, or putting a player on the wrong team or wrong sport.

Fans dont misspell their favorite players. Call him Jake if you cant remember how to spell his last name.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Disgusting... as a Steeler fan that is....

Dalton definitely has a better team around him. Its impressive to watch an offense have 6 sacks, 3 turnovers, 6 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and still squeeze out a win because the D put up more points than the O.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Give it a rest, he's still the Panther's starting QB...you were wrong. A couple of seasoned or prudent coaching decisions in a few games and the Panthers are in the playoffs this year...Atlanta (game 1), Chicago and Tampa Bay (game 2)...poor coaching performances in the latter part of those games might very well cost Rivera his job, especially if the Panthers have a lackluster performance against the Saints.

I think the most impactful lost was Atlanta game 1...being 2-2 verus 1-3 is major, and the way they lost, it was huge blow to team psyche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte