Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,250 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am a mid-twenties young professional currently living in Richmond, VA who is looking to relocate somewhere in the next couple of years and would love some input/suggestions about where to go next. I'm trying to stay open minded and my only real requirement would be staying in the south. I always thought I wanted to live in a major bustling northern hub like NYC... but after living in Richmond and enjoying it way more than I thought I would, I think my sights are set on somewhere a little smaller or at least just slightly less intense.

There are so many things I love about Richmond. I love the accessibility, the ease of getting around (very walkable within your own neighborhood), the vibrant art/music/dining scene, the rich history, the casual, laid back feel of the city (including the bars/nightlife), all the greenery, etc. My ONLY thing is that it's starting to feel a little small, and I would love to go somewhere bigger while I'm young. Really, in an ideal world, I'd love to go somewhere with a similar feel to Richmond, only on a larger scale!

Cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh, and Austin have been on my radar as I've heard these are all great places for young people. I know this is a very broad topic, but any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:05 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,330,001 times
Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh, and Austin are all larger than Richmond, so feeling too small shouldn't be a problem with any of these cities. I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, so I can't narrow any of the cities down.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,250 times
Hi! I guess I'd love to replicate some of the things I love about Richmond just in a bigger place (see above). Not sure if you've ever been to Richmond, but it is kind of "funky" along with the Old South feel (I've heard Nashville and Austin are similar, but have never been!). I also really enjoy the bar scene... not too into clubs, but there are a lot of fun, more laid back type bars for young people, and I feel like everyone is always really friendly for the most part/it's easy to meet people (which I feel like a lot of Northern cities lack in my personal experience). I also really love the history and the "look" it gives Richmond... there's a lot of beautiful antebellum architecture and tons of greenery and I'd hate to lose that completely (for example, I've heard Charlotte is very new). The city proper is also pretty dense and even though you do have to drive to get from one side of town to the other, it is very walkable and "city" feeling within individual neighborhoods (I live in the Fan, if you're familiar, and love the feel of that place!). I don't want anywhere TOO sprawly--like L.A. for example... not a fan!

I guess if I had to sum it up, I just want somewhere that, though bigger than Richmond, still feels small enough that it feels neighborhood-y and has a very friendly, community type feel. Somewhere with a good culture/nightlife/dating scene is definitely be a must. I worry somewhere like Atlanta or Charlotte might feel TOO big, but I realize the bigger cities tend to be better in the aforementioned departments. I guess somewhere with a nice balance of all of the above would be ideal. If it gives any context, I used to live in DC and just found that people weren't that friendly and the traffic was miserable and I didn't like the general feel of the place. I hope that all maybe helps a little? Thanks!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 PM

128 posts, read 244,224 times
I used to live in Richmond. It's a really fun and an underrated city. Charlotte feels more corporate but has some cool neighborhoods in the central city area, but it has also basically gutted a lot of areas for business development and condo development. If you ever come down, check out these two areas and see if you like it compared the Fan District or Shockoe Slip and Bottom area of Richmond. Dilworth neighborhood off of East Boulevard or Plaza Midwood Area near the streets of Central Avenue and 7th Street.

I think it's only about 280 miles Richmond to Charlotte so it's not a bad weekend drive.

The traffic in Charlotte is probably worse than Richmond, but it is nothing like DC or Atlanta.

Last edited by EricNC; 11-19-2013 at 07:37 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 PM

186 posts, read 437,844 times
I lived in Richmond for a number of years, and have now lived in Charlotte for the same amount of time. I think the two cities have basically nothing in common. Richmond has an old soul, Charlotte is very new and does lots of collective navel gazing. I think the local dining and nightlife options are better in Richmond. There is no Havana 59 here, no Bottoms Up, no Capital Ale House, no Nacho Mamas, no Tobacco Co happy hour, no Jefferson Sunday brunch. Charlotte has been getting better on this, but still lots of chains and few totally unique places, which granted wouldn't be important to some. Charlotte's city nightlife bends to trendy clubs, where Richmond had plenty of bars with live music, bands. On the other hand, the employment options and housing options are significantly better in Charlotte especially for buying a home. Charlotte is chock full of transplants, where most people I knew up there had been born and raised Richmonders. Just try to find a native Charlottean. Charlotte has pro sports, Richmond does not. Both cities have compact city limits, and I think the sprawl is comparable. The city however has no Fan, no Carytown and is mostly brand new apartments and condos, it's definitely walkable and has light rail. If you don't like traffic, don't even think about living in a Charlotte burb and working in the city, Richmond traffic is nothing compared to this. I think Charlotte is prettier aesthetically, lots of beautiful tree canopy and greenery, but Richmonds beauty is its soul and history.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:26 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,216,291 times
Within the South, I think some of the older, intown neighborhoods of Atlanta come closest to what you're looking for: Old Fourth Ward, Castleberry Hill, Virginia-Highland, East Atlanta Village, Grant Park, etc. I think Nashville could work as well. Charlotte has these types of neighborhoods, but you get more of a historic feel in the Atlanta neighborhoods and maybe parts of Nashville. Otherwise, it seems that St. Louis might be what you're looking for. It's not in the South, but it's close. I'd also take a look at New Orleans. It's about the same size as Richmond, but it's denser and feels bigger in the core; there's also a lot of positive momentum in the city right now as its recovery progresses, so that's a plus.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:33 AM

15,363 posts, read 12,701,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
I lived in Richmond for a number of years, and have now lived in Charlotte for the same amount of time. I think the two cities have basically nothing in common. Richmond has an old soul, Charlotte is very new and does lots of collective navel gazing. I think the local dining and nightlife options are better in Richmond. There is no Havana 59 here, no Bottoms Up, no Capital Ale House, no Nacho Mamas, no Tobacco Co happy hour, no Jefferson Sunday brunch. Charlotte has been getting better on this, but still lots of chains and few totally unique places, which granted wouldn't be important to some. Charlotte's city nightlife bends to trendy clubs, where Richmond had plenty of bars with live music, bands. On the other hand, the employment options and housing options are significantly better in Charlotte especially for buying a home. Charlotte is chock full of transplants, where most people I knew up there had been born and raised Richmonders. Just try to find a native Charlottean. Charlotte has pro sports, Richmond does not. Both cities have compact city limits, and I think the sprawl is comparable. The city however has no Fan, no Carytown and is mostly brand new apartments and condos, it's definitely walkable and has light rail. If you don't like traffic, don't even think about living in a Charlotte burb and working in the city, Richmond traffic is nothing compared to this. I think Charlotte is prettier aesthetically, lots of beautiful tree canopy and greenery, but Richmonds beauty is its soul and history.
Charlotte doesn't have those exact same companies but they have damn near the same thing in more areas around the city.

Charlotte is Richmond without the historic architecture... They don't have a Carytown but they have a Plaza Midwood, Noda, SouthEnd, Dilworth, Epicenter, Music Factory, Southpark/Park Rd/Montford Dr.

They don't have a Tobacco Co. happy hour (those were nice even though they made me tuck in a sweater one time) but they have Live After 5 at the Epicenter where you can choose from 6 or 7 bars/pubs).

I lived in Richmond for 6 years and loved my time there but I think Charlotte has more to offer. The vibe is definitely less grungy and less artsy but if you are adventurous you can find little pockets of pleasure... only problem is you aren't going to walk to these places.

I definitely agree on Richmond having more "soul" and I miss the apartments in The Fan with 15' ceilings but Richmond has a lower ceiling IMO. Once you hit it it's time to move on but I feel like Charlotte is still growing with their entertainment.

Not sure if you are familiar with Common Market but I stumbled on the one in South End when I heard some music and the wife and I felt like we were back in Richmond. DJ outside on a patio, pretty women everywhere and every beer you could ever think of in this small market that also served deli sandwiches. They also have one in Plaza Midwood.

I would suggest Nashville, Austin, Charlotte and Atlanta as options... Atlanta has crazy traffic though.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,818,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klm825 View Post
Hi everyone!

I am a mid-twenties young professional currently living in Richmond, VA who is looking to relocate somewhere in the next couple of years and would love some input/suggestions about where to go next. I'm trying to stay open minded and my only real requirement would be staying in the south. I always thought I wanted to live in a major bustling northern hub like NYC... but after living in Richmond and enjoying it way more than I thought I would, I think my sights are set on somewhere a little smaller or at least just slightly less intense.

There are so many things I love about Richmond. I love the accessibility, the ease of getting around (very walkable within your own neighborhood), the vibrant art/music/dining scene, the rich history, the casual, laid back feel of the city (including the bars/nightlife), all the greenery, etc. My ONLY thing is that it's starting to feel a little small, and I would love to go somewhere bigger while I'm young. Really, in an ideal world, I'd love to go somewhere with a similar feel to Richmond, only on a larger scale!

Cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh, and Austin have been on my radar as I've heard these are all great places for young people. I know this is a very broad topic, but any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Philly has what you want & is walkable. You should check it as well as the cities that you mentioned. Society Hill is colonial. Powelton Village is Victorian & located near Drexel & U of P. I doubt that you'll find anything near to Fairmont Park in the cities that you are looking at.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 AM

3,876 posts, read 4,301,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klm825 View Post
Hi! I guess I'd love to replicate some of the things I love about Richmond just in a bigger place (see above). Not sure if you've ever been to Richmond, but it is kind of "funky" along with the Old South feel (I've heard Nashville and Austin are similar, but have never been!). I also really enjoy the bar scene... not too into clubs, but there are a lot of fun, more laid back type bars for young people, and I feel like everyone is always really friendly for the most part/it's easy to meet people (which I feel like a lot of Northern cities lack in my personal experience). I also really love the history and the "look" it gives Richmond... there's a lot of beautiful antebellum architecture and tons of greenery and I'd hate to lose that completely (for example, I've heard Charlotte is very new). The city proper is also pretty dense and even though you do have to drive to get from one side of town to the other, it is very walkable and "city" feeling within individual neighborhoods (I live in the Fan, if you're familiar, and love the feel of that place!). I don't want anywhere TOO sprawly--like L.A. for example... not a fan!

I guess if I had to sum it up, I just want somewhere that, though bigger than Richmond, still feels small enough that it feels neighborhood-y and has a very friendly, community type feel. Somewhere with a good culture/nightlife/dating scene is definitely be a must. I worry somewhere like Atlanta or Charlotte might feel TOO big, but I realize the bigger cities tend to be better in the aforementioned departments. I guess somewhere with a nice balance of all of the above would be ideal. If it gives any context, I used to live in DC and just found that people weren't that friendly and the traffic was miserable and I didn't like the general feel of the place. I hope that all maybe helps a little? Thanks!
The city you're looking for doesn't exist. Neither Raleigh or Durham (downtowns) are as large as Richmonds but as an area (MSA/CSA) it probably provides a lot of what you're seeking. I think you should visit some of these cities with an extended stay if possible to get a feel for each place.

Sounds like to me though you should stay in Richmond.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,417,429 times
You might really like Austin. It's a very cool town, but it is in Texas, which I think is a whole 'nother country, or something like that.

Raleigh is a possibility, but I think Durham is cooler in the grittier, historic vibe you're talking about. Raleigh and Chapel Hill are close enough to go see a show or go to a restaurant any time. The Triangle as a whole does have good energy about it, so that might meet part of your criteria. I don't think the area feels like more of a "big city" than Richmond, though, but because of the different city centers in the region the area as a whole is probably bigger than Richmond.

I wouldn't want to go to Charlotte, personally, but I am not a huge Charlotte fan. All the in-laws live there and the spouse grew up there and wouldn't go back.

Atlanta might work, but traffic!! Have you thought about New Orleans? Charleston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte