Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times

Advertisements

Well considering Charlotte's city population is larger than Colorado Springs' metro population, I would think it feels larger as well. I also didn't notice any difference between the city feel while I was in Denver as compared to Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:05 AM

24 posts, read 40,008 times
I'm looking to move from Miami. Charlotte seems like a small, quiet town compared to Miami, but I like that.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
It's a mid-sized city...

Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Its not completely void of it. Maybe look into it and you would realize that.
No. I admit that Charlotte is not completely devoid of culture. One can buy yogurt. That's cultured.

Then there's NASCAR for the ubersophisticated.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 AM

625 posts, read 488,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
No. I admit that Charlotte is not completely devoid of culture. One can buy yogurt. That's cultured.

Depends what your definition of "culture" is and what you're looking for. I've lived most of my life in places full of "culture" and seriously don't miss it living here now. Each place is what you make of it and "culture" is in the eye of the beholder.

We were in Cotswold yesterday near our church and found the area to be nice and had many nice shops and places to eat. It IS the south so most places will have Southern American food. Just try to find biscuits and gravy in the NE. Its all regional.

My husband commented yesterday that the place we were at reminded him of a place you'd find in Boulder (The Flying Biscuit Cafe). I wouldn't call Charlotte a major city in the sense of a place like NY, Miami or even Denver. You have Uptown which is a small area with tall buildings and a grid pattern that you would find in any city, then you have everything else in a more suburban, open, tree filled landscape. You have pockets of "taller" buildings outside of Uptown - South Park, Ballantyne - but nothing compared to the height of the buildings in Uptown.

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and lived a good long time in NE NJ. To me this is suburbia pretty much everywhere in Charlotte except the small box of Uptown. And other than specific foods, there's nothing from NYC that I can't find here, even all types of people -- they just seem more relaxed here.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:50 AM

125 posts, read 243,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
Depends what your definition of "culture" is and what you're looking for. I've lived most of my life in places full of "culture" and seriously don't miss it living here now. Each place is what you make of it and "culture" is in the eye of the beholder.

We were in Cotswold yesterday near our church and found the area to be nice and had many nice shops and places to eat. It IS the south so most places will have Southern American food. Just try to find biscuits and gravy in the NE. Its all regional.

My husband commented yesterday that the place we were at reminded him of a place you'd find in Boulder (The Flying Biscuit Cafe). I wouldn't call Charlotte a major city in the sense of a place like NY, Miami or even Denver. You have Uptown which is a small area with tall buildings and a grid pattern that you would find in any city, then you have everything else in a more suburban, open, tree filled landscape. You have pockets of "taller" buildings outside of Uptown - South Park, Ballantyne - but nothing compared to the height of the buildings in Uptown.

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and lived a good long time in NE NJ. To me this is suburbia pretty much everywhere in Charlotte except the small box of Uptown. And other than specific foods, there's nothing from NYC that I can't find here, even all types of people -- they just seem more relaxed here.
I agree, "culture" is completely subjective. When I go back to San Fran I enjoy the vast number of amazing Asian restaurants that you just don't find in Charlotte, there are a few great spots but there aren't a large number of them. But then I can't find good barbecue or even good bar food in California. Also the abundance of African Americans brings a whole different scene to the city, there is soul food, the black history museum, and music that predominantly white cities like Denver don't have. Like you said, besides food, there is just about nothing you can't get here, and for the people that say Charlotte does not have culture just doesn't like the culture in Charlotte. By definition every city has culture, whether or not it is good enough is completely up to you.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
You really can't take the city's populations and compare in that way.

Atlanta is made up of a LOT of nearby areas and the greater Atlanta population is around 6.1 million.
Colorado Springs, with surrounding areas, is around 600,000.

That is a HUGE difference.

I moved here to Charlotte from the greater Los Angeles area. LA proper only has 3.8 million people in it (2012). That seems to be not so bad, until you look at the greater area, which consists of 18 million. Again, huge difference.

The same is true of Charlotte. Charlotte proper has roughly 800,000 people in it. The greater area has almost 2.5 million.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:35 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:

How do you define culture? And, what cities would you say are cultured?

Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
Quote:

This post oozes irony.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Charlotte is a small to mid size city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte