Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:59 PM

24 posts, read 40,149 times

Advertisements

The small town feel attracted me to Charlotte. If people are so eager to be in a "big city," then why come here? They should move to SF or Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM

37,923 posts, read 42,168,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Every time I look at a "Charlotte then and now" book, Greensboro's Elm St. always comes to mind. Probably my favorite downtown street in the Carolina's.
I really dig Elm Street and it's probably my favorite downtown street in NC in particular; it doesn't quite have what it takes to beat Main Street in Greenville or King, Broad, or Meeting streets in Charleston though.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,416,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I really dig Elm Street and it's probably my favorite downtown street in NC in particular; it doesn't quite have what it takes to beat Main Street in Greenville or King, Broad, or Meeting streets in Charleston though.
I agree.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:12 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,157,493 times
Quote:
Charlotte decimated Tryon St during urban renewal so it lost out on the primary historic strip that would've been comparable to Greensboro's Elm St. So now it's retrofitting areas which makes it rather costly to develop affording buildings that could support small shops, boutiques, etc in the center city. The city needed a entertainment venue like Epicentre, however I wish it'd been a throw-back design with a mini-street feel, brick, patios, interior water feature, etc. I like the Epicentre but opportunity missed in my opinion.
I agree. great points.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:04 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,627,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertWalpole View Post
Charlotte is not a major city. If you went to Paris, Rio, or Tokyo and told people you live in Charlotte, they would not have a clue where you're talking about. Further, it doesn't feel like a major city. Lots of us move here to escape a major city.
I don't agree with some of this. When I was in Paris and London last summer most people I spoke with had an idea where it is located. But, if you have been to one of those cities, it puts into focus that Charlotte is not major. It would clearly show that Atlanta is not major either. These cities are in an entire different world. They are not defined by one street but by many neighborhoods, landmarks, history, commerce, etc.... sure some streets are famous but visiting Paris to just see the ChAmps-élysées would be disappointing.

Charlotte is a strong B city in the US. Downtown has had a remarkable development run in the past 2 decades that is now stretching into existing neighborhoods like Southend and Dilworth.

Some have mentioned Elm St, Meeting st etc... I don't see how not having a central street makes you major city or not. Charlotte is what it is because the large corporate citizens built out downtown. While it may not please planners and architects, the result is a great downtowns at is filling in the gaps. There are plenty of places for retail from Brevard, to Stonewall, down South Boulevard, South Tryon and out Elizabeth. I would not trade our downtown in any way for Greensboro. Since the bread is talking Bout major city, that would take us the opposite direction.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
None of these cities are major, in fact All are small. So, while they may have a nice street or two, not sure how this is relative to the topic.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 PM

489 posts, read 913,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
None of these cities are major, in fact All are small. So, while they may have a nice street or two, not sure how this is relative to the topic.

You wanna talk about "mid-major" cities in the US then, there are cities with similar street's comparable to Elm St in them, that serve a like-minded purpose (central entertainment/dining district). Nashville's Broadway, Austin's 6th, Richmond's Cary.

The discussion of Elm St was going off-topic starting with my post. Now back to topic we may go...

Old 05-10-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertWalpole View Post
So you met the rare Brit who knows US basketball? That proves nothing. Charlotte is not a major city.

Moreover, while foreigners will travel thousands of miles to vacation in NY, SF, or Miami, they would not come to Clt for a holiday.
Where did I say that proves that Charlotte is a major city? I don't think it is, and have never stated that it is. Just pointing out that a European had heard of Charlotte.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I should have stated the reasons for in my original post, I suppose. It's not because I think it is better or more active than other streets in the Carolina's, more of because it holds it's weight against bigger, more popular cities with comparable streets. Like the gem in the Triad, that is still pretty active/fun even on a Wednesday night.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
You wanna talk about "mid-major" cities in the US then, there are cities with similar street's comparable to Elm St in them, that serve a like-minded purpose (central entertainment/dining district). Nashville's Broadway, Austin's 6th, Richmond's Cary.

The discussion of Elm St was going off-topic starting with my post. Now back to topic we may go...
I would like to see a district evolve in Charlotte that has a high concentration of restaurants/retail, maybe Stonewall will evolve with the Cresecent projects, connection with Southend and Midtown. Stonewall would be a good fit that would also tie into the Greenway and Myers Park.

I don't think there is any doubt that Charlotte is a mid major. But, at what point does it become major? We should be close to 3m within 10 years which puts us above places like St Louis and closing in on Minneapolis. Denver is roughly 2.7m, is that major. Boston is only at 4.7, is that major. I am not sure where a city becomes major but I think we will be there in a decade or so.

The other question is why that matters. Charlotte does a ton of things very well, you can make a great living here, the income relative to cost of living is a nice ratio, better than most. It has great neighborhoods, restaurants, retail, air travel, etc.....so, does adding another million residents over the next 15 years make us any better? Sure, we will have a lot more options across the board but for me, I will still live a very similar lifestyle that I have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte