Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertWalpole View Post
The small town feel attracted me to Charlotte. If people are so eager to be in a "big city," then why come here? They should move to SF or Boston.
You sound like you live in Atlanta or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
The discussion of Elm St was going off-topic starting with my post. Now back to topic we may go...

Quote:
I should have stated the reasons for in my original post, I suppose. It's not because I think it is better or more active than other streets in the Carolina's, more of because it holds it's weight against bigger, more popular cities with comparable streets. Like the gem in the Triad, that is still pretty active/fun even on a Wednesday night.
I gotcha. I have to say that I was quite surprised and impressed with the level of activity on Elm Street at night when I first saw it for myself several years ago. And it still has a lot of potential to be fulfilled, particularly on South Elm. The railroad tracks are a barrier to connectivity though.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:55 PM

489 posts, read 910,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I would like to see a district evolve in Charlotte that has a high concentration of restaurants/retail, maybe Stonewall will evolve with the Cresecent projects, connection with Southend and Midtown. Stonewall would be a good fit that would also tie into the Greenway and Myers Park.
Yes, please! That other parcel of land (Caldwell and Stonewall) is getting development, eventually. Mixed-use, obviously.

Quote:
I don't think there is any doubt that Charlotte is a mid major. But, at what point does it become major? We should be close to 3m within 10 years which puts us above places like St Louis and closing in on Minneapolis. Denver is roughly 2.7m, is that major. Boston is only at 4.7, is that major. I am not sure where a city becomes major but I think we will be there in a decade or so.
Metro's in the US of San Francisco and up (population wise). All of those have the economical, cultural, etc., influence that makes a "major city", imo. On a North American scale, at least. After than, it get's less clear. Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, St. Louis gets harder to say "yes, definitely major".

Quote:
The other question is why that matters. Charlotte does a ton of things very well, you can make a great living here, the income relative to cost of living is a nice ratio, better than most. It has great neighborhoods, restaurants, retail, air travel, etc.....so, does adding another million residents over the next 15 years make us any better? Sure, we will have a lot more options across the board but for me, I will still live a very similar lifestyle that I have today.
It doesn't. We can't all be major. Every city has their place. It's fun being a part of a city experiencing a lot of growth. It's also fun living in a city that has been major for decades (not Charlotte).

Charlotte gets a zoo and light rail/streetcar to the airport, and I'll be pretty damn happy with it.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:19 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Yes, please! That other parcel of land (Caldwell and Stonewall) is getting development, eventually. Mixed-use, obviously.

Metro's in the US of San Francisco and up (population wise). All of those have the economical, cultural, etc., influence that makes a "major city", imo. On a North American scale, at least. After than, it get's less clear. Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, St. Louis gets harder to say "yes, definitely major".

It doesn't. We can't all be major. Every city has their place. It's fun being a part of a city experiencing a lot of growth. It's also fun living in a city that has been major for decades (not Charlotte).

Charlotte gets a zoo and light rail/streetcar to the airport, and I'll be pretty damn happy with it.
Would love to see a zoo, I have just given up on that. Light rail to the airport, I think we may see that at some point.

Honestly, If I wanted to live in a major city, it would be SF without a doubt. London would be cool as well. Atlanta is big, just too far from the coast and too much traffic.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:00 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
We just need rail directly to Riverbanks Zoo and we're set!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:53 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
We just need rail directly to Riverbanks Zoo and we're set!
Absolutely, and then on to Williams Brice. Riverbanks is a great zoo.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:37 PM

24 posts, read 40,008 times
In terms of major cities, NY and London are in a league of their own. They are:

1. financial capitals (NY, Lon, HK, Tokyo)
2. Cultural capital for museums, operas, symphonies, ballets, etc. (NY, Lon, Paris)

3. International media center (NY, Lon, LA)

4. International auction centers for Sotheby's, Christie's, Bonham's, etc. (NY, Lon, HK, Paris)

5. International fashion center (NY, Milan, Lon, Paris)

6. International Government Center (DC, NY (home to the UN and only city in the world where every head of state convenes each year for UN Gen Assembly), Lon., Brussels, Beijing)

7. Global publishing center (NY, Lon)

8. Global Advertising Centers (NY, Lon).

It's not clear what people on this board mean by major city, but clearly, Charlotte is not one.

It's population density is suburban. It's airport lacks international carriers like Emirates, Air India, JAL, Air China, Alitalia, Air France, etc.

Being a regional city has its benefits.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
It's not clear what people on this board mean by major city, but clearly, Charlotte is not one.
The OP was asking about Charlotte's size in relation to Colorado Springs, so it's likely that the term 'major' was being referenced on a national scale, rather than international.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:35 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
In terms of major cities, NY and London are in a league of their own. They are:

1. financial capitals (NY, Lon, HK, Tokyo)
2. Cultural capital for museums, operas, symphonies, ballets, etc. (NY, Lon, Paris)

3. International media center (NY, Lon, LA)

4. International auction centers for Sotheby's, Christie's, Bonham's, etc. (NY, Lon, HK, Paris)

5. International fashion center (NY, Milan, Lon, Paris)

6. International Government Center (DC, NY (home to the UN and only city in the world where every head of state convenes each year for UN Gen Assembly), Lon., Brussels, Beijing)

7. Global publishing center (NY, Lon)

8. Global Advertising Centers (NY, Lon).

It's population density is suburban. It's airport lacks international carriers like Emirates, Air India, JAL, Air China, Alitalia, Air France, etc.

Being a regional city has its benefits.
You clearly took no time to read the OP, therefore I'm not sure why you're even here.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:47 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Go and read NCDOT's 2040 Transportation long range plans. It says that Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary is expected to grow by 80% and become NC's most populous area with 3.2 million people by 2040.

Of course Charlotte can always be bigger and better with SC counties added to its metro population.

Atlanta has many problems including ghetto lifestyle and rampant property crime, car-jackings, theft, kidnappings, etc. that really bring down an otherwise beautiful major metro area.

Atlanta is special because it's truly a major city (attracting many from around the world after the Olympics) that's nestled under a gorgeous canopy of green trees.

The trees are Atlanta's most redeeming quality.

Georgia, however, is America's most primitive, "do-nothing" state that can barely keep the electricity running. No plans to address congestion, 1/2 the interstate lights don't work, burned out traffic signals everywhere, it's an embarrassment.

North Carolina, as a state, is among the top tier states, with smart people looking after things and diligently planning and building for the future. NC rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte