Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
There is a new Cuban restaurant in Uptown. It is located on Church Street, between W. Trade and 4th Street. It just opened last week. I saw their lunch menu and prices were not bad. Will go in some time this week to try them out.

The food was good was a little shocked at the small portion size even for lunch, as in very small amount of beans & rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
The new restaurant uptown is called Havana Cuban Cuisine. I tried them out during the first week. We went for lunch and I was satisfied with the lunch portion. I ordered the roast pork and had a side order of empenadas. The meal was tasty and service for me was great. My co-workers went the day before me and had lousy service and confused orders, as well as a down credit card scanner. Some of them also were not happy with the small servings. Lucky for me--everything went perfectly and I will try them again, both for lunch and breakfast.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 AM

359 posts, read 1,143,827 times
To anyone who was waiting to hear.

Carolina Grill in the galleria shopping center has reopened. The name is now 'La Isla' and I do believe they have new owners as I did not recognize any of the people working.

However, hubbie and I ate there this past week, of course we had Cuban sandwiches, and they are GOOD! I also had some croquettas, had to try them out and they were super yummy! So far so good, service was friendly and quick. Food came out in no time. We even received a complimentary guava/cream cheese filled pastry to try out.

We are definitely going back soon to try out more stuff.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:33 PM

416 posts, read 925,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
To anyone who was waiting to hear.

Carolina Grill in the galleria shopping center has reopened. The name is now 'La Isla' and I do believe they have new owners as I did not recognize any of the people working.

However, hubbie and I ate there this past week, of course we had Cuban sandwiches, and they are GOOD! I also had some croquettas, had to try them out and they were super yummy! So far so good, service was friendly and quick. Food came out in no time. We even received a complimentary guava/cream cheese filled pastry to try out.

We are definitely going back soon to try out more stuff.
After someone here posted about the "new place" under a different thread we went to try. Two times, two cubans and fries both times.
IMHO,repeat IMO, the cuban sandwich was good,much better then a few others we have tried BUT the one from Carolina grill was pretty much perfect if you ask me (and husband).
I don't care for those big THICK slices of pork and the bread was either different or not toasted enough. tho,I like they way it was cut on an angle and it was a very big sandwich. And we really liked the fries.
I thought the same thing,I didn't recognize any workers.

Creative loafing recently reviewed a place and the cuban in that photo looks good!Thats next.Las Palmas Columbian/Cuban

Old 12-12-2009, 08:23 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
I am definitely going to make it to La Isla this time around, before it closes and changes names or something similar!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,028 times
Our whole family moved to Charlotte from Miami Hialeah area! Mom, Dad, Grandmother, sisters and their families..it was a great move for us but we defineetly miss Cuban Food!!!! And there is no cuban bread available anywhere, the stuff the call cuban bread in the grocery stores here is just plain old italian loaf!

Old 12-24-2009, 10:50 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisdawn View Post
Our whole family moved to Charlotte from Miami Hialeah area! Mom, Dad, Grandmother, sisters and their families..it was a great move for us but we defineetly miss Cuban Food!!!! And there is no cuban bread available anywhere, the stuff the call cuban bread in the grocery stores here is just plain old italian loaf!
Http://www.carloscafe.com

Take a trip to rock hill, Joe will sell me Cuban bread if I ask.

You can also I believe get it on a Saturday from a bakery in Park Road.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 PM

468 posts, read 826,364 times
It is my understanding that the chef at La Isla was the former chef at Piece of Havana.

We did stop there for lunch and found the food to be quite good and the chef was very informative and took time to answer our many questions.

I will return again for dinner one day soon.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
Default Something New!!!

I'm from Atlanta and there are tons of tasty ethnic restaurants. Here, not so much. Charlotte definitely needs a little flava. The Plaza/Midwood neighborhood seems to be more accepting of new concepts. It would also be really cool if you had a lounge where people could dance. There was a place in Atlanta called the Havana Club. It was a restaurant but after 10 they had dancing. Pura Vida is another one. Who doesn't love Latino musica??!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,342 times
Caribbean Catering and Cakes will take your orders for Cuban cuisine and you can pick up or they will deliver in areas within reason. Call 980-322-9664. Amazing cakes and tasty Cuban and Guyanese cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte