Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:46 PM

15,357 posts, read 12,673,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
You and I might not know who will tip well, but ClevelandMike sure does. 'That group' tips poorly every time!
he's is a marathon man if you ask me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 01:54 PM

15,357 posts, read 12,673,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
LOL - someone needs to adjust their meds. I don't think anyone was talking about servers making decisions for them - it was a more a reference to being known in a place. There used to be a bar near our house that my wife and I (along with several friends) used to gather at after work every Friday for a few drinks. We tipped well, we go to know the servers there. And after a while, when we walked in, we would have a Jack and Diet and a Jamesons rocks dropped in front of us the second we were seated at the bar - because they knew that was always our usual order. I'm sure if I had said I wanted something else, it would have been no problem. The point being that this is a way in which good, repeat customers can be treated by servers. There could have been a dozen people waiting to order a drink when we came in, but the bartenders there would drop those drinks down ahead of anyone else who was already waiting - they didn't have to do it, but one does gets perks like that at places due to their tipping habits.
A friend of mine used to roll up to a crowded bar with a $20 in his hand and tell the bartender "this is for you if I don't have to wait to get my drinks all night"

He never had to wait.

One doesn't have to tip well though in order to get good repeat service. If you are a regular and a pleasant customer who knows how to chat a waitress or a bartender up they will look out for you. Sure, you should tip them regardless but you don't have to throw money at servers to get star treatment.

"Please, thank you, take your time, no rush, when you get a chance..." if you say any of those things to a server they will appreciate it. Too many times someone comes in barking orders acting like it's the 1600's.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:16 PM

398 posts, read 986,434 times
The norm doesn't have to be to tip and hope for good service, or to tip a consistent amount irrespective of the service. Also, the customer does not have to speak to the manager if service was subpar - a low tip is the first signal of bad or poor service. Most people who go out to eat do not have the time or mood to discuss service with restaurant's management.

If service was good, tip well. If service was mediocre but normal, tip average. If service was poor, tip poorly.

People who wait tables should understand how the industry works prior to accepting that profession. If they can't deal with some people who tip low for any reason and it strongly impacts their earning ability, then they should work towards switching careers.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,632,070 times
I've tipped based on service, interaction attitude and quality of food. I've dropped 30% tips on large totals WITHOUT batting a eye, and I've also walked out left no tip because the service was that horrible. You are NOT entitled to a tip.

As a customer when I walk in I come to get a good meal, treat myself to going out, get treated nice, a smile, good food and good service. If you can't provide that, why should I provide a tip? I work for my money also. You don't just get a tip although that's the way it seems. It's no longer viewed as a you did a good job. It's just expected. You simply brought me drinks food and a check. That's called doing the minimum requirements of your job.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:48 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,846,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I've tipped based on service, interaction attitude and quality of food. I've dropped 30% tips on large totals WITHOUT batting a eye, and I've also walked out left no tip because the service was that horrible. You are NOT entitled to a tip.

As a customer when I walk in I come to get a good meal, treat myself to going out, get treated nice, a smile, good food and good service. If you can't provide that, why should I provide a tip? I work for my money also. You don't just get a tip although that's the way it seems. It's no longer viewed as a you did a good job. It's just expected. You simply brought me drinks food and a check. That's called doing the minimum requirements of your job.
I know there were several snarky posts in this thread BUT I am genuinely curious. Regarding the above bolded, what does your server have to do with it? I can see if it's cold because it's been sitting there too long waiting for them to pick it up. Did you mean that?

Old 10-25-2014, 03:11 PM

393 posts, read 307,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
This is someone in the group of people I was referring to. Just by reading her rant, she would qualify for a spit in her dish prior to serving. Compliments of the chef.

Ordering 3 sides of tartar sauce and fries tells me you're dining at a low to mid class Fish House.
Could be a Captain Dee's. You get what you pay for. Try McCormick & Schmidt or Upstream's if you want better service. Note: bring your wallet too.
Then how come we have had horrible service at fine dining, huh? a $293 meal($89 bottle of wine and the cheapest steak in was $89 in 2011), our waiter forgot my margarita from the bar with NO APOLOGY at all(I was nice about asking him about it again), took 8-10 minutes to get a soft drink and 8-10 minutes to get a refill. Yeah, that's such GREAT service for spending so much, isn't it? We have had better service at Chili's.

As far as spit, you sound LAZY. Someone that is COMPLAINING about doing **WORK** is lazy. I ordered ranch at fine dining restaurants. Condiments are the way I eat most of the foods I order. I don't like it without them.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
You don't get it....this guy is happy they know what he wants. I would buy the servers dinner if they took care of me that way too! He's a "regular" and he orders the same thing all the time.
So you NEVER order something different EVER? Even my husband switches drinks even not just me like sometimes he is in an iced tea mood instead of a diet coke or sometimes I am in a coke mood instead of dr. pepper or sometimes he may order a miller light and then the next beer order a blue moon. Food wise, we don't always order the same things all the time, that gets boring and I get tired of the same foods every single time I go. Sometimes I do order the same foods, but not ALL the time.

I NEVER served like that when I worked at a donut shop/diner back in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth I worked there during some college years. I NEVER ORDERED for my regulars because it's NOT MY PLACE, IT'S NOT! It's not my LEGAL RIGHT and NO ONE ASKED me to do so. I PROVED one of my co-workers there wrong when one day(this was back when they had payphones), a regular walks in, she fixes his coffee and he didn't end up staying he just had to make a phone call, that was it. I told her "I TOLD YOU NOT TO ORDER FOR SOMEONE LIKE THAT, THAT YOU WASTED YOUR TIME." I COULDN'T DO THAT TO SOMEONE TO CONTROL SOMEONE LIKE THAT!

If this guy and you wants it that way, TELL YOUR SERVER! Most servers will NOT OVERSTEP like that in general and won't be that lazy. It's a lazy way to do things, because they don't want to come to get your order, so they are actually working LESS for their tip. If you want it that way, SPEAK UP. Most people don't order the same things all the time because it does get boring to just order the same foods all the time if you go very often like we do(every weekend 2-3 times at times a weekend) and been doing that since we met in late 2000.

I just couldn't overstep like that since they might decide on something different and feel OBLIGATED to take it even though let's say that day they just wanted a glass of water instead of a coke for example. I mean really, why would I want to risk doing more work only to do it for nothing and waste time for my customers? If you ask, THEN you will know, but not asking is wrong unless the customer told you it's ok to do so.

Quote:
The server probably said "Hey Joe, same thing"? He said "You bet" and in the 6 words exchanged, things were off to a perfect event.
That's not the way it sounded though. It sounded like the moment he walked in, the drink was being poured. Have had servers do that before and have had to send them back. WE BOTH sent ours back because we BOTH wanted something else. It's all about LAZINESS not to have to come to the table to ask us since it is OUR MONEY we are paying for the service and the food/drinks.

If you want your server to do it this way, TELL THEM. That way they will do what you want. I shouldn't have to tell my server "Please don't *ORDER* for me", because that's COMMON SENSE they have no legal right to do that.

Quote:
This is what he likes.
Then he should *TELL* the staff so, so that way when he walks in, his drink is already made and his order has been put into the computer.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Um, I always order the same thing, and she knows that.
Even if I did order the same things, I'd be bothered by the control and laziness of the server. Control bothers me mostly that if it's my money, it should be ***********100% my decision on everything I want to order.

I don't order the same things though all the time. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but it bothers me that someone is trying to control my money and my time like that. I don't like that. I want to be asked for them to show they *care* about me if they waste my time or not getting something I may not want and I sure don't want to feel obligated to take it to not send them back or wait longer to place my order for what I do want.

Once, I ordered a margarita at a bar, my husband had motioned that I wanted to order something from a far, she starts making a drink which I thought she was making it for another customer, sure enough she was making it for me, I was like "I want a white russian, I didn't order that." I stiffed her for that drink. Why? A simple question is what it could have taken and she was TOO lazy and stupid to come to ask me what I wanted. I like all kinds of drinks from margaritas, white russians, cosmopolitans, long island iced teas, chardonnay, pina coladas, etc. I mean really, that was not right to order for me.

Even if let's say I wanted another of the same, I would have still stiffed her for that drink because she ordered for me without my consent. That's illegal and it's morally wrong! Also, I hate the "everyone stays with the same drink" attitude. Even my husband tries different beers at places that have lots of beers. He doesn't just order one kind and that's it. He's ordered for example a sake at a Japanese restaurant, then ordered a Japanese beer for his second drink.

For me personally, I get tired of one drink usually after I have one and want something different. Also, if I am in a dessert mood, it's much more tastier in my opinion to have a white russian with a dessert than a margarita, because it's a dessert drink.

I even change up soft drinks or even to iced tea or water. Even my husband has had 2 diet cokes and then for his 3rd refill chose to drink a glass of water rather than more soda.

No one should be ordering for anyone legally or morally without their permission since it's not their money, it's the customer's money.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:44 PM

22,405 posts, read 29,529,040 times
When I was waiting tables in CLT I couldn't believe the base pay was $2.37 an hour back in 2008. Is it still the same???

I always did very very well waitressing so it didn't really concern me. I rarely had a bad tipper. And I had only less than a handful of times where people think I am their private servant and I set them straight right away.

I always tip well as long as I am taken care of-its hard coming from the business as you are more critical. And yes, sorry to say but there IS a certain group of people who do not tip or tip next to nothing at all

Old 10-25-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
And I had only less than a handful of times where people think I am their private servant and I set them straight right away.

You are their private servant. You are there to do their every want if you expect a good tip, that's how it works. As the saying goes for any job, "Your boss tells you to "jump" you say "how high."

You want a good tip, try your best to do a good job and do every single thing they ask for. They ask for more bread or the 5th refill, that's your job.

Why you servers think that you aren't a servant? You sound lazy to say such a thing. I was my customer's servant and slave when I worked at a donut shop/diner if I expected a good tip or a tip at all.

servant - definition of servant by The Free Dictionary

Quote:
2. a person in the service of another.
That's what a servant is.

Quote:
I set them straight right away.
Telling you I won't tip you if you don't do as I say should set you straight. You want and expect my money, then do the set of instructions that I ask you to do as long as I do it nicely, which I always do. I can understand if the customer is mean to not do what they ask, but if they ask you nicely, then if you expect a good tip, you do as they ask you to do, that's your job.

I had once a waitress that forgot my iced tea, which she greeted the 2nd table first but we were first and even served them bar drinks first and my husband's bar drink before my iced tea. So I nicely reminded her I had ordered an iced tea. She left and came back. She didn't say she was sorry, so since she dissed us TWICE like that with the greeting the table in the wrong order and giving drinks all in the wrong order with no apology for forgetting the drink, I told her when she came back with the iced tea finally "You could have said you were sorry" and she was like "I don't have to say I am sorry", so my response was back since she was mean "I don't have to tip you then." You think it's just customers that are mean at times, no, it's a lot of servers that are just mean human beings. I told people I was sorry in drive-thru for no tip at all(since it was drive-thru, 99.999% of people didn't tip in drive-thru) when I worked at the donut shop/diner back in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth. I am a nice person. I am not like that. Of course we stiffed her. Not for forgetting it, but for her rudeness. You have to say you are sorry if you expect a better tip and to say that she didn't have to apologize after me telling her that is just being an ass. I honestly thought she was going to say "Oh, sorry about that" after I had told her that she could have apologized for her tip sake at least or just out of being nice from one human being to another. What a b**** that was. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, she was too lazy to write our orders down why she forgot in the first place.

Last edited by Springs1; 10-25-2014 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte