Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I simply said allow me to be cynical for a moment. Just so you know, I used to be a server before I moved on to a much better paying job. By the way I was usually the top tip earner.

Of course I tip, and tip well in most cases. I'm just trying to point out that tipping is not the law. Who are we to judge how people spend their money? If someone chooses not to tip or not to tip well, it's their money and no one yours to do with what they wish.

I hate the culture of tipping. Restaurants should just up their prices 15% to 20% and do away with tipping altogether. If we tip at all, it should be seen as more of an appreciation, as opposed to an obligation. Isn't that the way it is in most other countries?
no.... I felt this way until I waited tables. I used to argue with my roommate about it all the time because he was a waiter. Then he got me a job there and I realized exactly what he was talking about. Some people think it's cute to run you around asking for 1 thing at a time.

If you don't want to tip, go to McDonalds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:33 PM

393 posts, read 306,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I am glad to be one of the ones who, upon walking through the door, receives a great big smile, a cold and frothy beer sitting in my favorite place at the bar, and my order is already off to the kitchen.
I wouldn't want my server ORDERING for me though. That's not cool or LEGALLY RIGHT. I want to be asked everything. I don't want someone placing my order for me without my consent.

When servers do the deciding for me, they receive a lower tip because of it. It's *MY* decision if I want for example my check. I can't stand servers that want to do the deciding for you. If you want someone to decide everything for you, *YOU* SAY SO when you get greeted so everytime you come in you will get what you want. I don't have to tell my server "Hey please don't order for me or make any decisions that's not yours to make." Because it's COMMON SENSE *I* am PAYING FOR THE SERVICE, NOT THEM!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 PM

28 posts, read 31,586 times
I have enjoyed reading this... It's interesting to see how different people view tipping. I'm in the 20 to 25% range typically for a couple drinks and dinner, but will go down to 10-15 if the server sucked. The only time I dont tip is if I'm buying 8 to 10 dollar beers at a sporting event. (Time warner cable, B of A, BB&T Field) I'll tip a buck the first time or two but after that, forget it. I stop feeling sorry for them after a buzz kicks in, especially if the home team is losing.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
I wouldn't want my server ORDERING for me though. That's not cool or LEGALLY RIGHT. I want to be asked everything. I don't want someone placing my order for me without my consent.

When servers do the deciding for me, they receive a lower tip because of it. It's *MY* decision if I want for example my check. I can't stand servers that want to do the deciding for you. If you want someone to decide everything for you, *YOU* SAY SO when you get greeted so everytime you come in you will get what you want. I don't have to tell my server "Hey please don't order for me or make any decisions that's not yours to make." Because it's COMMON SENSE *I* am PAYING FOR THE SERVICE, NOT THEM!

You don't get it....this guy is happy they know what he wants. I would buy the servers dinner if they
took care of me that way too! He's a "regular" and he orders the same thing all the time. This is what he likes. The server probably said "Hey Joe, same thing"? He said "You bet" and in the 6 words exchanged, things were off to a perfect event. Most men like him are simple and not picky, just like me. It's too bad my wife can't say, Mike, same thing?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:58 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
To
Insure
Prompt
Service

At what point in our culture did we create this myth that tipping is obligatory?
Tips are supposed to be EARNED not taken for granted.
If a server EARNS a good tip with me they will get a good tip from me.
If a server EARNS a mediocre tip they will get a mediocre tip.
If a server is so bad that I don't feel that they EARNED anything, then they will not get a tip.

When I was younger tipping at 10% was considered the norm, now all of a sudden it's 20% and I read people on here talking about 30%-40%!!??

I never really understood why tips are calculated as a percentage of the cost of the meal either.
If I order a $10.00 meal and guy at the table next to me orders a $20.00 meal, why should I tip less than he does? Does the server not do the same thing for both of us in bringing our food to the table?

Yes, I know servers make minimum wage or less before tips, but there is, or at least there should be, an understanding that pay is commensurate with performance in the service industry and that's what they sign up for when they take the job.

Some servers make very good money in tips because they provide very good service.

If I don't do my job they way it's supposed to be done, then I won't make much money.

Why should this be any different for servers?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't think his/her point was about them selling the food, just that they're most likely getting paid via a tip even if they aren't very good at their job in general.

Not sure if that's the best example though, because someone on a salary or hourly rate is still getting paid even if they aren't very good at their job too.

If an hourly or salaried worker does not do their job well they will not get a raise.
If they are truly horrible at it then they will get fired.

The universal truth here is that you will make more money by being good at your job.
And you will make less....or no money if you are bad at it.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:21 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
To
Insure
Prompt
Service

At what point in our culture did we create this myth that tipping is obligatory?
If a server is so bad that I don't feel that they EARNED anything, then they will not get a tip.

When I was younger tipping at 10% was considered the norm, now all of a sudden it's 20% and I read people on here talking about 30%-40%!!??
Probably because the minimum wage for tipped employees is still the same $2.13 it has been for 25+ years. Servers have to get tipped more to make it worth their time to even come to work. Basically, the restaurant lobby has outsourced paying its employees to customers.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
To
Insure
Prompt
Service

I never really understood why tips are calculated as a percentage of the cost of the meal either.
If I order a $10.00 meal and guy at the table next to me orders a $20.00 meal, why should I tip less than he does? Does the server not do the same thing for both of us in bringing our food to the table?

Yes, I know servers make minimum wage or less before tips, but there is, or at least there should be, an understanding that pay is commensurate with performance in the service industry and that's what they sign up for when they take the job.

Some servers make very good money in tips because they provide very good service.

If I don't do my job they way it's supposed to be done, then I won't make much money.

Why should this be any different for servers?
I too remember when a 10% tip was good. That changed when the Reagan administration decided that servers needed to be taxed on a % of the establishment's take. It's been changed for a long time.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
What difference does it make? You should be expecting to tip at least some ballpark figure so it's not like you should ever be completely thrown off by how much the total bill will be. Most people will just adjust the tip up/down depending on how the service is. Edited to add: Besides, if people think they're getting bad service now with servers working primarily for tips, how do you think the service will be if they don't get hardly any tips at all? At this point it's too late anyway, even if they did pay servers more, there would still be a tip line on the bill and many will probably still hold a grudge if you don't leave something additional.

I'm fine with the system of tipping servers at actual sit-down restaurants, but tipping in general is getting out of hand...Do people at pizza or chinese food places really expect people to tip them for coming in to pick up their own food? I went to Jersey Mike's the other day and when you pay with a credit card it comes up with a screen that says Add Tip 10%/15%/20% or something...c'mon now.

Completely agree here, I have started carrying cash again so I don't have to deal with this type of nonsense.
The entitlement mentality is getting out of hand as you describe as well as 20% being expected in a buffet where the "servers" don't do anything but show you to your table and maybe refill your water glass.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
You don't get it....this guy is happy they know what he wants. I would buy the servers dinner if they
took care of me that way too! He's a "regular" and he orders the same thing all the time. This is what he likes. The server probably said "Hey Joe, same thing"? He said "You bet" and in the 6 words exchanged, things were off to a perfect event. Most men like him are simple and not picky, just like me. It's too bad my wife can't say, Mike, same thing?
I think he gets it... he just doesn't like it because he probably doesn't have a favorite food item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte