Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
[/b]

If an hourly or salaried worker does not do their job well they will not get a raise.
If they are truly horrible at it then they will get fired.

The universal truth here is that you will make more money by being good at your job.
And you will make less....or no money if you are bad at it.
I agree, I wasn't talking about getting raises, etc. But there are plenty of hourly/salaried workers out there that aren't good at their job and still get paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
The entitlement mentality is getting out of hand as you describe as well as 20% being expected in a buffet where the "servers" don't do anything but show you to your table and maybe refill your water glass.
I usually tip 10% for buffets, as long as my water is refilled and plates are cleared.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
I wouldn't want my server ORDERING for me though. That's not cool or LEGALLY RIGHT. I want to be asked everything. I don't want someone placing my order for me without my consent.

When servers do the deciding for me, they receive a lower tip because of it. It's *MY* decision if I want for example my check. I can't stand servers that want to do the deciding for you. If you want someone to decide everything for you, *YOU* SAY SO when you get greeted so everytime you come in you will get what you want. I don't have to tell my server "Hey please don't order for me or make any decisions that's not yours to make." Because it's COMMON SENSE *I* am PAYING FOR THE SERVICE, NOT THEM!
Um, I always order the same thing, and she knows that.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:24 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Um, I always order the same thing, and she knows that.
You too? We go to a Viet Thai restaurant (pineville) and they remember my youngest aversion to meat and make her a "special" soup. When we sit down, he tells us, "Ok, I have your special soup, and you ladies want the same as last time? One with more spicy?" (my other daughter likes it spicier)

And then he leaves us alone in peace to eat. He knows we will look up to ask for something if we want it. But doesn't bother us every few minutes asking if there's anything else. That to me is excellent service. *oh and he will sit with us during slow times and regale the kids with stories from his homeland.

On the flipside of tipping a server, I go back to THAT place because mainly of their service. So it works both ways.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
You too? We go to a Viet Thai restaurant (pineville) and they remember my youngest aversion to meat and make her a "special" soup. When we sit down, he tells us, "Ok, I have your special soup, and you ladies want the same as last time? One with more spicy?" (my other daughter likes it spicier)

And then he leaves us alone in peace to eat. He knows we will look up to ask for something if we want it. But doesn't bother us every few minutes asking if there's anything else. That to me is excellent service. *oh and he will sit with us during slow times and regale the kids with stories from his homeland.

On the flipside of tipping a server, I go back to THAT place because mainly of their service. So it works both ways.
Yep! And she keeps a close eye on my beer, too. She has a new one drawn up and sitting in front of me as I drink the last swig. LOL

Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
I don't know you, but I agree. I've waited table. I made top tips, but then I know how to be nice and attentive and provide good customer service.

I always chuckle when people make comments that it is obvious I"ve never worked in service. I have. I gave great customer service. I made good tips. The super tips more than compensated for the low tips.

Servers should be paid a living wage. But I don't owe anyone a tip if they provide substandard service. It is beyond rude to tell folks they should stay home if they don't want to tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I simply said allow me to be cynical for a moment. Just so you know, I used to be a server before I moved on to a much better paying job. By the way I was usually the top tip earner.

Of course I tip, and tip well in most cases. I'm just trying to point out that tipping is not the law. Who are we to judge how people spend their money? If someone chooses not to tip or not to tip well, it's their money and no one yours to do with what they wish.

I hate the culture of tipping. Restaurants should just up their prices 15% to 20% and do away with tipping altogether. If we tip at all, it should be seen as more of an appreciation, as opposed to an obligation. Isn't that the way it is in most other countries?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I don't know you, but I agree. I've waited table. I made top tips, but then I know how to be nice and attentive and provide good customer service.

I always chuckle when people make comments that it is obvious I"ve never worked in service. I have. I gave great customer service. I made good tips. The super tips more than compensated for the low tips.

Servers should be paid a living wage. But I don't owe anyone a tip if they provide substandard service. It is beyond rude to tell folks they should stay home if they don't want to tip.
why would anyone lie about waiting tables? It's not a glorious job. LOL...

I worked at a place called Bookbinders in Philly and another waitress kept ignoring a customer because "they don't tip"

I waited on him and got a huge tip. I know the only reason he did it was because it was obvious they were avoiding him because they thought he would be cheap. The waitress tried to get me to split the tip with her. HELL NO!!!

What's funny is that same place would have regulars who were old and wealthy and some would leave $2 EVERY TIME.

You never know who will tip well so treat everyone the same.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:50 AM

227 posts, read 392,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You never know who will tip well so treat everyone the same.
You and I might not know who will tip well, but ClevelandMike sure does. 'That group' tips poorly every time!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:12 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I'm generally a 20% tipper but my one pet peeve is getting carded at a business dinner. In those cases I only tip 10% and leave a note to the server why they got stiffed.
Wow! You stiff people for doing their job?? That's ignorant. If I was attending a business dinner with you and that happened, you can bet it would affect the way I saw you as a client or customer of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
90% of servers make the correct judgment of my age and are tipped accordingly. Unfortunately, 10% do not. If the ALE wants servers to work for them, the ALE should pay them. Sometimes, I think servers forget who they are working for.
You must know zero about selling alcohol. Restaurants and bars can lose their liquor licenses and face heavy fines if they sell to someone underage and get caught doing so. I'm not sure what the specific laws are in NC, but I once worked at a liquor store in Baltimore (many years ago during a summer when I was in grad school) - if I sold anything to someone underage, then I personally could get a $1000.00 fine - not the store - me, personally. I carded everyone. Some places force their staff to do so. I'm in my early 40's and I've been carded 2 or 3 times in the past year - mainly because the policy of the establishment I was in was to card 100% of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
It's not about being able to afford something or not, it's about not rewarding poor service with additional money.
Actually its both. There are some people who just don't tip (much or at all) regardless of the service - those people have no business going out to a restaurant in the first place if they refuse to tip (or can't afford to) right off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
If the service is bad, I do not ask why or really care why, it was simply bad, a poor tip and never returning is in store..
If I dine somewhere ad the service is abysmal (rare, but it happens), yes, there will not be much left in the way of a tip - but I will make sure to let the manager know about the level of service before I leave.

Quote:
If someone doesn't like making $2.13 an hour, he or she should do something about it. Say, perhaps, get an education and get a better job?
How do you know they are not working their way in that direction? I used to wait tables at one point in my life - it happened to be when I was in high school and college. Not everyone in the service industry is uneducated.

Quote:
No one has to tip. That's the thing. People can choose or choose not to tip. There's no law that says anyone has to tip.
True. But anyone who decides not to leave a tip for no other reason than they simply choose not to do so (not talking about level of service - I mean those who just routinely choose not to tip servers) are lacking in class and are just common.

Quote:
I hate the culture of tipping. Restaurants should just up their prices 15% to 20% and do away with tipping altogether. If we tip at all, it should be seen as more of an appreciation, as opposed to an obligation. Isn't that the way it is in most other countries?
I've spent a fair amount of time in Europe and, you are correct, tipping is not the norm there. Sometimes there is something that goes to a server (in the U.K., if I have several drinks in a pub - I won't tip the bartender but I may buy him a drink on me; in Germany, it is typical to just round up to the nearest Euro and leave that amount to the server). Having said that, there is a downside in that service in those countries is a lot less consistent and can be fairly less attentive because the tip incentive isn't there.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:18 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
I wouldn't want my server ORDERING for me though. That's not cool or LEGALLY RIGHT. I want to be asked everything. I don't want someone placing my order for me without my consent.

When servers do the deciding for me, they receive a lower tip because of it. It's *MY* decision if I want for example my check. I can't stand servers that want to do the deciding for you. If you want someone to decide everything for you, *YOU* SAY SO when you get greeted so everytime you come in you will get what you want. I don't have to tell my server "Hey please don't order for me or make any decisions that's not yours to make." Because it's COMMON SENSE *I* am PAYING FOR THE SERVICE, NOT THEM!
LOL - someone needs to adjust their meds. I don't think anyone was talking about servers making decisions for them - it was a more a reference to being known in a place. There used to be a bar near our house that my wife and I (along with several friends) used to gather at after work every Friday for a few drinks. We tipped well, we go to know the servers there. And after a while, when we walked in, we would have a Jack and Diet and a Jamesons rocks dropped in front of us the second we were seated at the bar - because they knew that was always our usual order. I'm sure if I had said I wanted something else, it would have been no problem. The point being that this is a way in which good, repeat customers can be treated by servers. There could have been a dozen people waiting to order a drink when we came in, but the bartenders there would drop those drinks down ahead of anyone else who was already waiting - they didn't have to do it, but one does gets perks like that at places due to their tipping habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte