Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times

Advertisements

Before people have issues with a *server* or *wait staff* they need to walk..... a few thousand steps each shift to get the true picture. I expect good service and good food when I spend my money. If I don't get it, I engage to find out the problem. I don't return to restaurants where I get bad service or food....or both. If a server does his or her job and the other elements of the dining experience are less than adequate, a server will engage with the manager or kitchen. For this, I will tip 15-20 percent because the server is working on my behalf. Not working on my behalf gets 10 percent. Some of the people who are hypersensitive about service are usually the same arrogant and rude customers who think waiters are servants in the 19th century traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
If another server not assigned to your table is rude, why would you stiff your server? I would tell the manager.
If your server is rude, why would you stay? Perhaps to complain to get a free meal...that's the stereotypes. I would walk out and go somewhere else. Where did the Racist comment come from?
When people run out of reasonable, rational, and intellectually honest arguments, they will drop the "R" word. Why would anyone drag race into the discussion. Good point Mike.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I had to send back a dish recently as it was cold and the sauce on it solidified from being cold. (ravioli with mushroom cream sauce). By the time I saw my server close enough where I could catch her attention, (extremely busy day) everyone was almost done eating theirs at my table. I didn't want to waste the time in getting another dish. I told her my food was cold (a single bite was taken and you could see it since it was "solid") and she offered another dish. I told her everyone was almost done and that I was fine. She was very nice. Several long minutes later the manager came by and said that she noticed I sent back a dish and why wouldn't I want another one? She was a bit rude and making it seem like I was yelling and hostile. So irritating. I told her we were done (we actually just paid the check at that point) and that I didn't want to hold up my table. She said she can have it brought out quickly. I again said it's alright but thank you. She was really annoying.

However I tipped the server as if I had that dish still on the receipt. (it was taken off) It wasn't her fault the food was cold. It wasn't her fault that the place was busy and couldn't come back to me in time. And it wasn't her fault that the manager was a jerk.

I hate when people don't tip for the above reasons. That's bad service on the RESTAURANT's part, not the server. If I send back a dish (rare), I still tip if it's part of my receipt as she still had to "serve" it and remove it from my table.

Only once that I can remember that I didn't tip at all. And I did inform the manager. The server was cranky, rude, and very obnoxious. She slammed our dishes down, ran off only never to be seen again. No drinks, no utensils etc. A busboy helped us with all the above. The manager had to give us our check and we told the manager that we would like to tip the busboy ONLY. The manager said it's not possible as the server is the one that served us. We then opted not to leave a tip. We never went back.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 AM

51 posts, read 62,713 times
"The specific group of people that don't tip"

I call it how I see it, that's not true. There is a stereotype of blacks not tipping, let's not act dumb about that....If you want to be bold man up and say it, don't use code words....If you have a problem with me feel free to DM me like ClevelandMike did, we can have a discussion there....I don't back down, I'm not a coward

P.S.

I tip no matter what, good service gets good tips, bad service get's bad tips

Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM

372 posts, read 658,903 times
I tip on a sliding scale. I start at 20%, if the service is good, I tip more. If the service is poor, I tip less. It stays at 20% if it is average.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM

61 posts, read 115,060 times
There's some common sense in tipping, and I 100% agree that servers that work their butt off deserve a good tip. In the past, I've heard some say that it's not their fault that the server doesn't work for a place that pays them a fair wage (or some variation), and they should only pay what is on the bill. But, whether some people like it or not, the reality is that the tip is actually a part of the bill...at least as far as the restaurant and tax collectors see it. And penalizing a good server is not only unfair, but selfish.

With that said, it is ridiculous to think that a server deserves a tip just because...well, they're a server. Just like in any business, you have to earn your pay, and the prime function of any server is to provide the customer with good service. So, if a server is not providing the kind of service a reasonable customer deserves and should expect, then they have not earned the tip. All waiters/waitresses realize that a tip is optional for customers, so it is tied directly to how well they satisfy the dining/drinking needs of the customer. So, there is no reason for a server not to provide good service on everything within their control.

But as others have said, not everything is within their control. They can't control if they are spread too thin and cannot give proper attention to every customer, they can't control if the steak is cooked too much (as long as they took the order properly), and they can't control a cooking crew that is not getting the meals out quick enough. But they can make sure they are polite and responsive when you ask for something. They can make sure to look to see if there is anything you need, like drinks (obviously only if you are their customer) as they are serving another table, and if they see that something is clearly cooked incorrectly, they can let you know and have a new one made rather than putting it in front of you as if you wouldn't notice the charred toast. Also, when things are not perfect, an apology can go a long way to keeping a customer happy...whether the problem was the server's fault or not.

But that comes down to management. A good manager will make sure their wait staff is properly trained. In all my years, I have very rarely seen or had a poor experience in a well run restaurant. The wait staff is attentive, and vigilant towards your needs, while not ignoring any of their customers...even on busy nights.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 AM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
I consider myself a good tipper if I get the good food and good service I am paying for. I expect at least a smile and no attitude from the person who is serving the table. I am not the one who give them hard times before they left the home, so don't take it out on me.
When someone choose the "hospitality" line of work, they need to know that their problems shouldn't show to the people they are serving. People go out to enjoy themselves and they should since they are paying for it.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:01 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabethaMichelle View Post
There are times when I'm not at all sure ppl realize how much service professionals make for their hourly rate... Most make somewhere in the vicinity of three dollars an hour.. We live on a day to day basis, as well as raise children on the tips that most ppl are generous enough to bestow upon us! And first things first, let me say that there are quite a few wonderful ppl out there who really take care of their servers and bartenders.. But for those of you out there who think three or four dollars is an adequate tip for a hundred dollar meal, shame on you!!! Please don't forget that we pay around three percent of the total cost of your meal in taxes. So that three dollars you've tipped us is going straight to uncle Sam. And for all the awesome ppl who don't think they need to leave a tip, we end up paying taxes on your meal as well..
I can tell you, when we have great customers, who are nice to us and always take care of us, we make triple sure that we take care of them.. And nothing is more upsetting than taking perfect care of a customer, running around like crazy to make sure they have every single thing they need, and then realizing after they leave, that they didn't leave a tip..
Forgive my rant guys, what I really want to do is say thank you to all of the wonderful ppl out there who have always taken care of all of us servers and bartenders.. You guys will always be welcomed with a smile, a cold drink, and hot food!!!
I always leave generous tips and I try to use the same servers for the above reasons.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
How about businesses pay their servers a livable wage like other countries and we do away with all this tipping nonsense.
How about people get out of the service related employment and get a different job where they can count on their salary/hourly rate and not count on tips?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:19 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
If another server not assigned to your table is rude, why would you stiff your server? I would tell the manager.
If your server is rude, why would you stay? Perhaps to complain to get a free meal...that's the stereotypes. I would walk out and go somewhere else. Where did the Racist comment come from?
I think CU1986 was referring to when his/her server doesn't pay attention to his/her table but rather another one.

If my server is rude I stay because I go there to eat, I don't care that much about the service as long as I get what I need. But as Felt said a good tip shouldn't be automatic, it needs to be earned.

To keep this thread Charlotte-related, I was at Hawthorne's a couple weeks ago and the service was a bit slow, but not even really that bad. Without my even asking, they gave me a $25 gift card. So it's not always people that complain that get free stuff...

And the racist comment came from you...

Quote:
Unfortunately you can't describe the one specific group of people that do not tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte