Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,482,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
I think because people move to Charlotte expecting it to be big city and like many others said, its a"young city" thats more family oriented not a "Fun times big city" atmosphere. They are both great places, but honestly totally different culturally.
Metairie hit the nail on the head.

There's nothing wrong with Charlotte or Denver. They are just extremely different cities, and operate on different ends of a spectrum.

Charlotte is a much more conservative city overall than Denver has ever been. Charlotte has long been ground zero for some sweeping conservative movements, including:

The PTL Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southern Baptist Convention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charlotte has always been an ambitious city; it has always been business-friendly and has always used Atlanta as a model for growth. However, Charlotte has never had an real ease with elements of city-building that are less "family-friendly", like supporting artists or building a "singles scene" or anything like that. Atlanta has traditionally been more accepting of those elements than just about anyplace else in the south, and a lot of that is apparent in how different Atlanta is from other Southern cities.

Denver, on the other hand, has long had a place for people that - in the south - would be considered
"on the fringe". Denver has a much higher tolerance for "those kinds of people", and has even built entire industries around those folks (see: the outdoors industry, the snow sports industry, and now the weed industry).

It is very interesting that Charlotte has such a large banking industry, and it makes sense given its innate conservatism. I do think Charlotte has recently started making large strides towards accomodating more artistic activities and trying to create a singles scene, but it's definitely behind on this when compared to other cities.

That's what makes comparisons between Charlotte and Denver so hard. Denver is a great place, and Charlotte is a great place. But they are VERY DIFFERENT in what they do best. If you are looking for a more settled, family-friendly place, then Charlotte makes sense. If you want more "big city amenities" and more of a singles scene, Denver makes more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:39 PM

401 posts, read 657,273 times
Quote:
I think because people move to Charlotte expecting it to be big city and like many others said, its a"young city" thats more family oriented not a "Fun times big city" atmosphere. They are both great places, but honestly totally different culturally.
It depends what part of the city you live in and if you have money. If you make under 60k-70k a year most likely you aren't gonna have fun/participate in the fun activities the city has to offer. It has a big city feel, similar to how I felt in Chicago, except in Charlotte i'm less likely to get raped. Charlotte does need to work on its night life, but not to where crime goes up with it as well, which nightlife+crime would make it Charlotte would surely be the new Atlanta, which is a bad thing. I like to compare Charlotte to San Diego, Cali. If Charlotte had the same amount of night life as Fayetteville (which has alot IMO) that'd be great. Strip club skyscrapers, lets make it rain Canadian dollars in Charlotte.
haha-
San diego Vs. Charlotte
Corpus Christi vs. Charlotte
Philadelphia Vs. Charlotte
Cincinnati Vs. Charlotte
Minneapolis Vs. Charlotte
--------
Even if you do not have money, Charlotte has a bigger feel then Denver ever had. I like Charlotte as much as I like strippers in Las Vegas.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,729,815 times
Quote:
I would think thats part of it, but I don't really know since I'm still relatively new here. I would say Charlotte (Southpark) has a more family like vibe, kids everywhere, conservative manners and attire. Yet when I visit Denver (Cherry Creek area), I don't see as many kids. Cherry Creek and Denver seems more "hip and urban" to me. I also feel Denver has a lot of adult activities everyday of the week, compared to Charlotte. Both are nice just IMO completely different. I prefer Denver personally and would pick it if I had the opportunity to again... But we chose Charlotte for our business and hoped it was a more wholesome vibe for our kid. We were deciding between the two just like you. Good luck, I enjoy checking your thread!
Interesting that you would chose Denver. I am familiar with Cherry Creek and got to attend the art festival one year! My question to you; would Denver's isolated location (in proximity to other large cities) not be a concern? It is one of my largest. Second would be living so far from an ocean. That being said, I just can't seem to shake the place. Charlotte's COL and proximity to the beach and other cities are what make it attractive to me. I also like the fact that it is a "newer" city on the rise.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
It depends what part of the city you live in and if you have money. If you make under 60k-70k a year most likely you aren't gonna have fun/participate in the fun activities the city has to offer. It has a big city feel, similar to how I felt in Chicago, except in Charlotte i'm less likely to get raped. Charlotte does need to work on its night life, but not to where crime goes up with it as well, which nightlife+crime would make it Charlotte would surely be the new Atlanta, which is a bad thing. I like to compare Charlotte to San Diego, Cali. If Charlotte had the same amount of night life as Fayetteville (which has alot IMO) that'd be great. Strip club skyscrapers, lets make it rain Canadian dollars in Charlotte.
haha-
San diego Vs. Charlotte
Cincinnati Vs. Charlotte
--------
Even if you do not have money, Charlotte has a bigger feel then Denver ever had. I like Charlotte as much as I like strippers in Las Vegas.
You are the first person I encountered who believes Charlotte feels larger than Denver!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:14 AM

370 posts, read 544,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
You are the first person I encountered who believes Charlotte feels larger than Denver!
I would caution listening to anything that guy says. The fact that he believes Fayetteville has a "nightlife" is proof enough that he's a little confused as to what is going on in CLT.

And Charlotte doesn't feel anything like Chicago. Not at all. Chicago is completely in a different wavelength of size and vibe compared to Charlotte. It'd be like comparing Charlotte to New Bern.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
I would caution listening to anything that guy says. The fact that he believes Fayetteville has a "nightlife" is proof enough that he's a little confused as to what is going on in CLT.

And Charlotte doesn't feel anything like Chicago. Not at all. Chicago is completely in a different wavelength of size and vibe compared to Charlotte. It'd be like comparing Charlotte to New Bern.
I think all information from Jimmy is gathered on Simcity.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:30 AM

777 posts, read 2,569,016 times
They are both cities. I think the similarities end there.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:43 AM

363 posts, read 445,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
haha-
San diego Vs. Charlotte
Cincinnati Vs. Charlotte
--------
This entire post is wrong. How can you compare Charlotte to San Diego.. they aren't remotely the same except that they are both located in the United States, and say Fayetteville has more nightlife than Charlotte. This might be the dumbest thing I have read.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:35 AM

37,890 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Charlotte is a much more conservative city overall than Denver has ever been. Charlotte has long been ground zero for some sweeping conservative movements, including:

The PTL Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southern Baptist Convention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In what way has Charlotte been "ground zero" for the SBC? It started in Augusta, GA and I'm not aware of any major developments in the denomination in which Charlotte played a role.

Now if you had mentioned Charlotte being the home of Billy Graham, then that would have been something of a relevant point.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
This entire post is wrong. How can you compare Charlotte to San Diego.. they aren't remotely the same except that they are both located in the United States, and say Fayetteville has more nightlife than Charlotte. This might be the dumbest thing I have read.
I was surprised by the reference to Fayetteville's nightlife as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte