Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
It depends what part of the city you live in and if you have money. If you make under 60k-70k a year most likely you aren't gonna have fun/participate in the fun activities the city has to offer. It has a big city feel, similar to how I felt in Chicago, except in Charlotte i'm less likely to get raped. Charlotte does need to work on its night life, but not to where crime goes up with it as well, which nightlife+crime would make it Charlotte would surely be the new Atlanta, which is a bad thing. I like to compare Charlotte to San Diego, Cali. If Charlotte had the same amount of night life as Fayetteville (which has alot IMO) that'd be great. Strip club skyscrapers, lets make it rain Canadian dollars in Charlotte.
haha-
San diego Vs. Charlotte
Corpus Christi vs. Charlotte
Philadelphia Vs. Charlotte
Cincinnati Vs. Charlotte
Minneapolis Vs. Charlotte
--------
Even if you do not have money, Charlotte has a bigger feel then Denver ever had. I like Charlotte as much as I like strippers in Las Vegas.
Almost everything you've said here is just flat-out wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:39 PM

571 posts, read 715,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I posted a similar question in the City vs City thread. I thought I'd ask those who live in Charlotte (maybe some of you lived in Denver before?) to see if you saw any similarities between the two cities? I am contemplating a move and it is between Charlotte and Denver. I lived in Charlotte 15 years ago, but the city has drastically changed and is not the place I remember. Still am fond of it though! I know they both get snow, have museums, amusement parks and light rail. Any opinions are welcomed.
You're know your probably going to have a hard time getting an unbiased opinion here. Most folks who come to these sites tend to be local civics boosters for their own cities. I lived in Charlotte many years ago and it was a perfectly fine place. I've never lived in Denver but I have visited there several times. My opinion, Denver. There's just so darn much to do there. And it's just gorgeous! Go take a walk in the park (like I did recently) and your looking out at the Rockies in the near distance. Go take in a show at Red Rocks Amphitheater, enjoy listening to the music while looking out at the breathtaking scenery in the background: https://walkaboutphil.files.wordpres...ocks15phil.jpg And, of course, if you're a skier like me, or like to hike or go mountain biking, it's hard to beat Colorado.

Now for some less biased, more data driven opinions, check these links out:

First, this is Money Magazine's list of the best places to live in the U.S. Number 4 on the list is Castle Rock, Colorado, a suburb of Denver about 25 miles south of downtown. Centennial, CO, another suburb, comes in at #13. And Boulder, CO, also in the Denver area, is #23. There are no communities in the Charlotte area on this list.
http://time.com/money/3312312/castle...laces-to-live/

Second, Forbes Magazine's list of "America's Best Cities for Young Professionals." Denver is #9 on the list. Charlotte didn't rank at all. (Raleigh, by the way, is #2.)
Denver, Colo. - In Photos: America's Best Cities for Young Professionals - Forbes

Third, another Forbes list is "America's Coolest Cities 2014." Denver comes in at #7 on this list. Raleigh is #18, but Charlotte didn't make the list.
No. 7: Denver, Colo. - In Photos: America's Coolest Cities 2014 - Forbes

Fourth is Livability's list of 100 most livable cities in the U.S. Three Denver area communities made this list: Boulder (#4); Lakewood (#34); and Westminster (#75). No Charlotte area communities made the list; however, Asheville came in at #12, and Durham at #29; Chapel Hill at #62; and Greensboro at #91.
100 most livable cities in USA | Fellowship of the Minds

Fifth is "The 35 Best U.S. Cities For People 35 and Under." Denver is #9 and Charlotte is #27.
The Livability Index: The 35 Best U.S. Cities For People 35 and Under

Finally, Men's Health's list of the 50 most populous cities ranked from fittest to fattest. Denver comes in at #4, which is not surprising given all the local recreational opportunities. Charlotte falls right in the middle at #26, not the fittest nor the fattest.
The 2014 Fittest and Fattest Cities in America: The List | Men's Fitness

Last edited by brichard; 10-23-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
This entire post is wrong. How can you compare Charlotte to San Diego.. they aren't remotely the same except that they are both located in the United States, and say Fayetteville has more nightlife than Charlotte. This might be the dumbest thing I have read.
I live in San Diego and I'm getting a pretty good laugh out of that. Charlotte has it's pluses, but you can't compare Charlotte to San Diego. There are reasons I chose to quit my job, sell my house, pack up and move across the country to live here. IMO, there are very few places you can compare to San Diego.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,729,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
You're know your probably going to have a hard time getting an unbiased opinion here. Most folks who come to these sites tend to be local civics boosters for their own cities. I lived in Charlotte many years ago and it was a perfectly fine place. I've never lived in Denver but I have visited there several times. My opinion, Denver. There's just so darn much to do there. And it's just gorgeous! Go take a walk in the park (like I did recently) and your looking out at the Rockies in the near distance. Go take in a show at Red Rocks Amphitheater, enjoy listening to the music while looking out at the breathtaking scenery in the background: https://walkaboutphil.files.wordpres...ocks15phil.jpg And, of course, if you're a skier like me, or like to hike or go mountain biking, it's hard to beat Colorado.

First, this is Money Magazine's list of the best places to live in the U.S. Number 4 on the list is Castle Rock, Colorado, a suburb of Denver about 25 miles south of downtown. Centennial, CO, another suburb, comes in at #13. And Boulder, CO, also in the Denver area, is #23. There are no communities in the Charlotte area on this list.
http://time.com/money/3312312/castle...laces-to-live/

Second, Forbes Magazine's list of "America's Best Cities for Young Professionals." Denver is #9 on the list. Charlotte didn't rank at all. (Raleigh, by the way, is #2.)
Denver, Colo. - In Photos: America's Best Cities for Young Professionals - Forbes

Third, another Forbes list is "America's Coolest Cities 2014." Denver comes in at #7 on this list. Raleigh is #18, but Charlotte didn't make the list.

Fourth is Livability's list of 100 most livable cities in the U.S. Three Denver area communities made this list: Boulder (#4); Lakewood (#34); and Westminster (#75). No Charlotte area communities made the list; however, Asheville came in at #12, and Durham at #29; Chapel Hill at #62; and Greensboro at #91.

Fifth is "The 35 Best U.S. Cities For People 35 and Under." Denver is #9 and Charlotte is #27.

Finally, Men's Health's list of the 50 most populous cities ranked from fittest to fattest. Denver comes in at #4, which is not surprising given all the local recreational opportunities. Charlotte falls right in the middle at #26, not the fittest nor the fattest.
Wow! I had only seen a couple of those lists. The one I found most surprising was the livability index! Not sure what criteria was used, but I am pretty sure Denver is more expensive than Charlotte, especially in housing.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
I live in San Diego and I'm getting a pretty good laugh out of that. Charlotte has it's pluses, but you can't compare Charlotte to San Diego. There are reasons I chose to quit my job, sell my house, pack up and move across the country to live here. IMO, there are very few places you can compare to San Diego.
Did you leave Charlotte and move to San Diego? That's where my wife wants to move, but the COL is a huge deterrent.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 AM

363 posts, read 445,265 times
Quote:
Not sure if this was directed at my post, or the one I was responding to. But I agree with you, not him, just to be clear.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Wow! I had only seen a couple of those lists. The one I found most surprising was the livability index! Not sure what criteria was used, but I am pretty sure Denver is more expensive than Charlotte, especially in housing.
Yes, Denver is more expensive than Charlotte. But like my comment below to goosbyjazz about San Diego, Denver is also the kind of place where people spend most of their time out doing recreational things, not sitting at home. So you don't really need a big house to be happy in Denver because you won't be in the house enough to make it worthwhile. (Unless you're just homebodies who don't like being outside.) In case you're curious, here's a tool to compare the cost of living between different cities: Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

According to this tool, someone making $50,000 in Charlotte would need $55,783 for the same standard of living in Denver. That's not a huge difference. So buy a little bit smaller house. The smaller size wouldn't matter because you wouldn't be in it as much as you probably are now. It's about what you're looking for in quality of life. If you're outdoors people, that might be the place for you.

Quote:
Did you leave Charlotte and move to San Diego? That's where my wife wants to move, but the COL is a huge deterrent.
I actually moved out of Charlotte way back in '88 and moved up to DC. So I moved out here to SD from DC back in 2002. The cost of living, yes, if very high. Don't expect to have the same size house without paying a lot more for it. But the thing is, people here don't spend so much time at home because the weather is always nice. You'll be out and about all the time. I always tell people that a house in San Diego is the place where you eat and sleep, but the great outdoors is where you live. There is so much to do here, from Balboa Park and its museums and concert venues (and other parks throughout the city), to amusement parks, to the Gaslamp Quarter, to the downtown culture scene, to hip neighborhoods with happening nightlife, lots of street fairs, to mountains and hiking and, of course, the beaches. I actually got transferred back east five years ago and it was very, very depressing. I did NOT want to leave. So I did everything I could to work my way back here and was able to return to SD two years ago. I'm very happy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Not sure if this was directed at my post, or the one I was responding to. But I agree with you, not him, just to be clear.
Yes, I understood that. I was commenting about the post YOU were commenting on. I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear before, but I was agreeing with you.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:32 PM

brichard, you make some good points! We are definitely the outdoors type and are constantly on the go. A smaller house is not out of the question.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
Quote:

Castle Rock, Colo. - 1

Great Post

Old 10-24-2014, 11:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
Quote:
brichard, you make some good points! We are definitely the outdoors type and are constantly on the go. A smaller house is not out of the question.
Take note Gools......His logic makes a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte