Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM

111 posts, read 527,311 times

Advertisements

yes the fried pickles are the BEST!!.... Dish is pretty good too. the shrimp and grits there are awesome! Mac's on Ideal Way and South Blvd pretty good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM

83 posts, read 226,147 times
Default Gotta Keep this thread alive!

I'm bumping on this to pull it from it's grave.

I think the Dive Dinners are the best places to eat and we gotta keep sharing the hidden knowledge of the best of them. With that, I add...

Phat Burrito- It's on Camben Rd off of Tryon in South End area. Great burritos, great salsa and good prices.

I second Price's Chicken Coop. Best Chicken in town and yes, it's fried!

I agree with the pickles, though I think we've spent too much time on them, but the Penguin's are the best. Alexander Michael's in 4th Ward have very good ones as well, but only at night.

Ed's Tavern, good wings, real good wings, not sure about the rest of the menu because I haven't got past the wings.

Lupie's is heaven. Order the one layer nachos and follow that up with a burger, onion roll bun, cheese, bacon and jalapeno peppers, with a side of chips.

The Coffee Cup, don't forget this place, they just re-opened in the univ. area. Best smothered chicken, taters and green beans. Also the best Black berry cobbler I've ever had.

I'll end this here, in case no body ever sees this thread again, but I may have more in my belly to share if I see this comes back to life...

SHARE THE DIVES!!!!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:54 PM

539 posts, read 1,497,802 times
The Palace in Monroe has a great breakfast and some of the best coffee around.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:01 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I haven't been yet since I've been back to Charlotte, but one of my favorite "dives" is Lupie's Cafe.

mmm...There's a plate of Cincinnati Chili over there with my name on it...

My other favorite cheap-but-good-eats place is The Roasting Company. (http://roastingco.com/catalog/ - broken link)
I've had just about everything on the menu and never had a bad meal there.

Rats, now I'm hungry!
Yay Lupies and The Roasting Company along with LuWans, Macs, John's Country Kitchen and the Penguin. Really fine eats all round.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWR View Post
The Coffee Cup, don't forget this place, they just re-opened in the univ. area. Best smothered chicken, taters and green beans. Also the best Black berry cobbler I've ever had.
The Cup shut down in UC and has reopened in NoDa. Much better digs for that type of cusine. Haven't gotten by there yet, but I'll be grubbing down there shortly.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
San Remo!!!!! on Central Ave near Kilborne. Also Sun Rise on Albemarle Rd between Farm Pond and Winterhaven. They have th ebst fried chicken in Charlotte hands down.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 AM

83 posts, read 226,147 times
What is San Remo? (What kind of food?) Same question for LuWan's? And where is John's Country Kitchen?

Another true Dive is the Press Box, I believe it's on Montcroft, down the street from the Roasting Company. They are a little hole in the wall type place that has great food. I'm not sure which day it is, but they have half price burgers once a week and they are really good, my favorite only to the wings there, which are best "double-dipped" with extra sauce on the side...

Old 04-18-2009, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 12,508 times
Jerusalem Restaurant on N. Sharon Amity around the corner of Ablemarle Rd. Very good food!!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:31 AM

197 posts, read 485,379 times
Well, I think most of the places in Charlotte have been covered... How about in the Charlotte "area"? Ever been to Keaton's BBQ in Cleveland, NC? It's a dive out in the middle of nothing. People drive from VA and SC to eat their BBQ chicken. Gary's BBQ on Hwy. 29 in China Grove serves up the best area pork BBQ in my opinion.

Also, if you want the BEST hamburgers and hotdogs around try Hap's on Main Street in Salisbury. The place is so small that you have to stand up around tables to eat, but it's worth it.

Tarheel Q on Hwy. 64 between Mocksville and Lexington is also relatively secluded, but has been in business for years and has great BBQ and burgers.

Best pizza? Wise Guys in Statesville, NC. They also serve a good tortellini.

Good steak at a fair price? Black Angus in Statesville, NC or Yadkin Valley Grill in Albemarle, NC. I wouldn't classify either as a dive, but they aren't 5 stars either. I wouldn't put them in the same class as Sullivan's, but it's a GOOD steak for about half the price or less.

Best wings? Lancaster's in Mooresville, NC. Hands down.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Not exactly a 'dive', but Greg's BBQ (Matthews) has great traditional food and veggies.
There used to be many of these 'mom and pop' restaurants around, but alas the chains have nearly taken over.

I have never had the BBQ there, but they have great daily specials, and esp vegetables.
Sometimes I just go and get 3-4 vegetable sides with a piece of cornbread.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte