Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Its amazing how the price of food has soared this year.
Even more important to use your grocery card!

I use a lot of strategies. Basically, I buy specials and also use Sam's Club - their coffee is outstanding and their prices on eggs cannot be beaten. I am going to get a membership to Costco as everyone says I will like the merchandise.

You have to really work at it to cut the cost of food . . . but as Girl said . . . stock up and then just buy perishables as needed . . . However, Barking, as you said - some things have just gone up - like citrus fruit.

It takes some planning and not everyone even feels like doing grocery shopping the way I do. If I had small children, a commute to a job, and was worn out every evening when I got home . . . don't know that I would have the energy or inclination to grocery shop several times a week . . . and cook at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Even more important to use your grocery card!

I use a lot of strategies. Basically, I buy specials and also use Sam's Club - their coffee is outstanding and their prices on eggs cannot be beaten. I am going to get a membership to Costco as everyone says I will like the merchandise.

You have to really work at it to cut the cost of food . . . but as Girl said . . . stock up and then just buy perishables as needed . . . However, Barking, as you said - some things have just gone up - like citrus fruit.

It takes some planning and not everyone even feels like doing grocery shopping the way I do. If I had small children, a commute to a job, and was worn out every evening when I got home . . . don't know that I would have the energy or inclination to grocery shop several times a week . . . and cook at home.
I do the food shopping because my wife does not have the patience for it. I actually enjoy saving money when I go shopping. Its not easy to get good deals. Sometimes you have to goto multiple stores in 1 week. BJ's is good for certain items while Lowe's, HT, Food Lion, Bi-Lo all have their plus's and minuses....the sunday paper and the weekly circulars are your friends...

Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,769 times
My solution was to give them my UPS mailbox for address and grand central number for the phone. Nobody gets my real home address or my real phone number. I also use a first initial and last name.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
My solution was to give them my UPS mailbox for address and grand central number for the phone. Nobody gets my real home address or my real phone number. I also use a first initial and last name.

I know someone who always uses her husband's ex-wife's name and address.

I know someone who doesn't like her sister/law and uses her name and address.

I know someone who uses his boss's name and address.

I have a son who swears he uses famous authors, such as Edgar Poe, 1 Raven Street, Rockville, MD

That is all fine - until someone asks to see your ID.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,101 times
Quote:
I am stunned. Why would you not want a card that saves you money? I just posted on another list how much money we saved on Sat. at Harris Teeter.

I typically cut my grocery bill by at least 1/3 using that card. The cashier is only trying to make sure you are aware of the savings the card would afford you.

Where are you from? Did your grocery stores not have customer cards?
I sure agree to that, I safe tons of $ using my card. Also when they have their buy one get one free offers with the card and I have a coupon that they automatically double, I usually get things that would normally be $6 or $7 for like $.50. I think you may just be misinterpreting it all. The cashier is just trying to do their job and if they don't offer you one they probably get in trouble. It could always be worse, afterall you could have their job and their pay.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM

755 posts, read 2,492,760 times
You could give them a fake name AND a fake address and still get the card. It's really not that big of a deal.

BTW, I LOVE Harris Teeter and miss the heck out of those stores!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:52 AM

14 posts, read 53,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrogearcrunch View Post
You are wrong - the lady is right. Enough of this price gouging and identity-mining by the corporations. Why are they so desperate to get your personal info that they're willing to antagonize the poorer segment of the shopping public by (a.) jacking food prices up by 16% (and more!) so that they can (b) pretend to offer you a "savings" deal of 16% in return for your personal info.? It's the oldest dirty sales trick in the world, and you fell for it. IMHO, they want this info to give them total control over everything that moves in THEIR world.

Since you don't understand what the big deal is, I'm giving you an assignment: Read the collected works of our founding fathers, then read "Mein Kampf" by Adolf Hitler. After that, read "The Controversy of Zion" by Douglas Reed or just download the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion". Finally, see "sourcewatch" on the internet and look for "The Hashara Manual" (131 pages). I think that perhaps this would help you to see what the angry shopper is upset about.
While you're sitting around reading Mein Kampf and panicking over the takeover of the world by grocery stores, I've got work to do, groceries to buy, and a family to take care of.If you don't want to be part of capitalism, go somewhere else.
Again, Google your name and/or address--the info is already out there.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I do the food shopping because my wife does not have the patience for it. I actually enjoy saving money when I go shopping. Its not easy to get good deals. Sometimes you have to goto multiple stores in 1 week. BJ's is good for certain items while Lowe's, HT, Food Lion, Bi-Lo all have their plus's and minuses....the sunday paper and the weekly circulars are your friends...
My DH also loves to grocery shop. He actually does more of the shopping than I do, b/c he will combine errands (run to Lowes' and run by Food Lion). He calls it "hunting and gathering" and says he is exercising his innate male need to forage and provide.

He takes great pride in tracking down the bargains, mark downs and as NKJaws said - coupons that can be doubled. He comes home and spreads out the bounty for my inspection (and for me to put away, LOL) and he beams as if we were back in the cave in 1000 BC. . . and he had just hauled home the bounty from the latest "hunt."

Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
I wonder if these people who are so concerned with privacy have myspace accounts?

You don't want the card, fine. The store is then free to charge whatever price they want to. You, of course, are free to shop elsewhere.

Isn't freedom great????

Old 02-07-2008, 08:28 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
That is all fine - until someone asks to see your ID.
All HT has ever asked me for was my phone number. That's only been if I don't have the card on me. When I don't respond, they ask again. Then I tell them that there isn't one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte