Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,560,920 times

Advertisements

My last name is not Jones's...so I don't care about keeping up with them either....LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM

847 posts, read 3,356,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Now I do agree that Charlotte is a very clickish city. You have to realize that 60% or more of the people here are not from Charlotte. They are from all over but mainly the Northeast...so you may be talking about some of your fellow neighbors (so to speak).
No, I'm talking about the natives as well as some transplants. But mainly, the transplants are fine until they've been here long enough to set their mind to "fitting in". Then they become single-minded social climbers, like the locals.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
No, I'm talking about the natives as well as some transplants. But mainly, the transplants are fine until they've been here long enough to set their mind to "fitting in". Then they become single-minded social climbers, like the locals.
Your constant insulting of the city only serves to make your opinons suspect, bless your heart

Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 PM

569 posts, read 1,411,620 times
I was never one for keeping up with the Jones. In my opionion that kind of lifestyle gets you stuck in the hampster wheel. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate nice things, but I ask myself at what cost? Having money or being in a position of having a high salary can get you a lot of things in this life. The most important to me is freedom. It seems the more things you buy the less freedom you have. I suppose it all just depends on whats important to you. To each his/her own.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,567,001 times
Quote:
I am as local as you can get. And I am not a social climber, and neither are my friends or family members.

Anyway, it won't do anyone any good to be a social climber here. That society is so closed . . . you can't get into it unless you marry into it, LOL.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
My last name is not Jones's...so I don't care about keeping up with them either....LOL!
Well, of course you don't care to keep up w/ the Joneses. You are a trend setter. The Joneses are probably trying to keep up with you, 7oh4!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Anything thinking of moving to Charlotte, take note: this is the kind of crap you will have to get used in Charlotte -- "If you don't like it there's something wrong with you" and "If you don't like it get out". I see these posts constantly on the forums, and soon, you will too. Welcome to Charlotte.
How would you like it if we moved to where you are from and just complained about everything (not you personally). It would get on your nerves like it does us!

Adapt of get out (not you personally)...life is to short to be somewhere you don't like or don't wanna be!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, of course you don't care to keep up w/ the Joneses. You are a trend setter. The Joneses are probably trying to keep up with you, 7oh4!!!!
NOT!

Have been there done that.

The MOST important things in life to us are each other and family and friends!

We buy what we buy because we like it and no other reason. Some of it might be expensive...but we don't have kids...so what else are we gonna spend our money on...save it for a rainy day is boring (we do have savings though)...plus we have parents that have made sure their kids are taken care of. We are truely blessed!

But you know...it can ALL end tomorrow! And that is fine...one thing is that no one and nothing can ever break our spirit or faith in christ!

If you put some things in life 1st (Christ)...then most things that follow are truely wonderful blessings!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
NOT!

Have been there done that.

The MOST important things in life to us are each other and family and friends!

We buy what we buy because we like it and no other reason. Some of it might be expensive...but we don't have kids...so what else are we gonna spend our money on...save it for a rainy day is boring (we do have savings though)...plus we have parents that have made sure their kids are taken care of. We are truely blessed!

But you know...it can ALL end tomorrow! And that is fine...one thing is that no one and nothing can ever break our spirit or faith in christ!

If you put some things in life 1st (Christ)...then most things that follow are truely wonderful blessings!
So true . . . enjoying life is all that counts. (And you do know I was teasing you, 7oh4). I know you are very much your own person and you and your partner do your own thing . . . and base your life on the Golden Rule.

That is why we all enjoy your posts so much - we know you speak from the heart.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Ani as I'm reading this I'm doing the Deliverence (sp?) song out loud.
So appropriate, Himain.

Yep, we dumb Southerners. Takes someone w/ some real book larnin' to get us straightened out down here. Van doubtless got further than the 8th grade like the rest of us hicks. That's the beauty of all these newcomers. I figured one of them, sooner or later, would figure out how to get us all straightened out down here.

We finally got one who has all the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte