Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,053 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got a job in UNC at Asheville and my wife has a job in Charlotte. I only have to go to work 3 times (M, W, F) a week so we decided to live around Charlotte. My job starts from 8am and finishes 4pm, which means that I will start driving like 5:30am to go to work. We are thinking of living around Wedgewood. From Wedgewood to Asheville, which highway has low traffic? I am thinking of 16 -> 150-> 321 -> 40. Or 85 -> 74 -> 26 is better? Please let me know if you have a better idea. Overall, do you think it is possible to do it? I know I can't do it in the long-run but given a situation, I have to do it for 1-year.
Thank you for consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 12:52 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khkboss View Post
Hello,

I got a job in UNC at Asheville and my wife has a job in Charlotte. I only have to go to work 3 times (M, W, F) a week so we decided to live around Charlotte. My job starts from 8am and finishes 4pm, which means that I will start driving like 5:30am to go to work. We are thinking of living around Wedgewood. From Wedgewood to Asheville, which highway has low traffic? I am thinking of 16 -> 150-> 321 -> 40. Or 85 -> 74 -> 26 is better? Please let me know if you have a better idea. Overall, do you think it is possible to do it? I know I can't do it in the long-run but given a situation, I have to do it for 1-year.
The halfway point is right around Shelby. Under no circumstance would I recommend that your wife commute to Charlotte from Shelby. I also wouldn't recommend the commute from Shelby to Asheville on nights with bad fog, much less Charlotte. Sometimes the fog hangs in until midmorning.

If you look at Kings Mountain, you could take 85 -> 321 -> 40, go west on 74, or go south on 85 -> 26., she could commute from Kings Mountain a lot easier than Shelby.

Believe it or not, this is not the worst commute that someone has cooked up. The grand prize, in my opinion, was a woman who wanted to live in South Charlotte & commute to Greenville, SC, 5 days a week.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:59 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
So I’m assuming your wife works 5 days a week, typical hours somewhere near uptown? And assuming you’re referring to the Wedgewood near Northlake Mall and want to save your wife’s commute, that’s probably not a terrible location for the short term if you can handle the 2 hour commute 3 days a week.

I’d say definitely 16 over 74. I think I typically go 16 all the way to 40 but that’s probably pretty comparable to 16/150/321/40. To maybe save yourself a couple minutes while not punishing your wife too much you could maybe look closer to 16. What sort of house/neighborhood/budget are you looking for?

Old 05-13-2018, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,053 times
Thank you so much for your reply. You are correct in that my wife works 5 times a week nesr uptown. Btw, we are looking for an apartment that is worth not more than $1200 per month. As you said, we tried to look for an apartment alongside 16 such as in Lowesville and Denver. Unfortunately we cannot find a good apartment. The ones around Wedgewood near Northlake Mall look much better. I think I can do 2hrs commute 3 times a a week. Btw, is fog serious or anything I should consider in 2 hrs drive??

Old 05-13-2018, 07:27 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply. You are correct in that my wife works 5 times a week nesr uptown. Btw, we are looking for an apartment that is worth not more than $1200 per month. As you said, we tried to look for an apartment alongside 16 such as in Lowesville and Denver. Unfortunately we cannot find a good apartment. The ones around Wedgewood near Northlake Mall look much better. I think I can do 2hrs commute 3 times a a week. Btw, is fog serious or anything I should consider in 2 hrs drive??
I live in Kings Mountain. Fog is not a constant, but it is real. It can be anywhere up to 0 miles visibility, or as my mother used to call it, thick as pea soup. You are not making the drive in 2 hours, safely. Visibility varies depending on the location.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
One of yall needs to find a job closer to the other one. Commuting from even Shelby to Asheville will get real old, real fast. Shelby to Charlotte, the same.

Going up the hill you'll be burning through gas like nobody's business. Going down the hill, brakes. So plan for a lot of extra costs in regards to your vehicle.

Depending on how much you get paid for your job, taking a pay cut for a shorter commute may actually make some sense in this case.

Maybe look at a transfer to UNCC.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Hello,

Would an apartment in Mooresville unrealistic for her commute to Charlotte?

From Mooresville, you cut across 150, to 16, to 40.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Would an apartment in Mooresville unrealistic for her commute to Charlotte?

From Mooresville, you cut across 150, to 16, to 40.

It's still a LONG ride to Asheville to be doing it three times per week. Statesville would probably work better simply for access to 40 but then leaves her with a much longer commute than she'll like. Either way, someone is going to get really tired of their commute in short order.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:21 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
OP already said he only had to do it for a year. I think his idea is smart...a 2 hour commute 3X a week is probably more tolerable than a 1 hour commute 5X a week. If his commute was 1.5 hours and his wife's was 1 hour, his wife would actually be in the car longer than him and I'm guessing he would rather his wife have the easier commute.

Plus the further out you are from Charlotte (in order to get closer to the "midpoint") the further they are away from Charlotte's amenities.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:21 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Hello,

It sounds like you have a decent plan. The only thing I'd do differently is assume that my Asheville job might require more of my time than what has been advertised (that happens a lot). Based on that assumption, I would rent 1 year somewhere between Newton and Denver, NC and go from there after my year is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte