Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 01:42 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I like sports a lot. However the older I get, the less tolerance I have for giving tax breaks to billionaires so they can get the public to pay for their toys. I completely understand nowadays my elders who opposed Spectrum Center 20-ish years ago even though I as about a 15 y/o who knew nothing about paying taxes was all for the project.
Rule #1 in becoming wealthy and rich, use as little of your own money as possible.
Rule #2, see Rule #1!

In all seriousness, the extremely wealthy and extremely poor are always the first in line for government handouts.

Last edited by cjseliga; 04-20-2022 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 01:58 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Rule #1 in becoming wealthy and rich, use as little of your own money as possible.
Rule #2, see Rule #1!

If all seriousness, the extremely wealthy and extremely poor are always the first in line for government handouts.
Well this is *ridiculous* - an 80 million dollar investment by the State to build an interchange - only to have it unused.

I don't buy that this project was abandoned, because of a lack of local infrastructure funding.

I also can't believe that Tepper poured tens of millions of dollars into the planning, and building, of a structure, to have abandoned it.

Something else is at work here; only time will tell what that something is.

I wonder if NC caught Tepper's ear, with an offer that he couldn't refuse.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:01 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
Rock Hill just didnt get the money as the contract said. You cant make the bill deals and then end up saying you got no REAL cash money,,,,,,

Old 04-20-2022, 06:53 PM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
Some may be over reacting without all of the facts. First, Tepper has spent $170 million of his own money. He does not walk away. But if he did, he still owns the property. He would develop it or sell it. The interchange would get finished and another business would finish the development. But neither wants to walk away.

Second, if you search hard enough, you will find the truth. I did. Rock Hill signed a contract stating that they would either provide the bonds or build the infrastructure. The city agreed to this. But they did not have the money to secure the loan. Tepper put Rock Hill on notice one month ago. Rock Hill came to Tepper with a new deal. Rock Hill wanted Tepper to pay for the infrastructure because they did not have the money. Then Rock Hill would provide tax incentives over a period of years for Tepper to get his money back. This was not part of the contract and Tepper would not agree to this.

Then some politicians in SC made false accusations and accused Tepper of not meeting his obligation when it was the other way around. Of course, this is typical of politicians. They are trying to cover their arse to the public. They want to shift the blame. Too much money has been spent for this project to fail. I don’t think Tepper wants to get into the developing business. And the city of Rock Hill and SC want the benefit of the development. Both have said they want the development completed. Tepper just wants Rock Hill to uphold their agreement.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:00 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Rock Hill just didnt get the money as the contract said. You cant make the bill deals and then end up saying you got no REAL cash money,,,,,,
In one of the above links, Rock Hill refutes that claim.

The County got in on it...

The Governor reached out to the team...

If Tepper wanted to put this together, he'd have put it together. York County offered him tens of millions of dollars in tax incentives to go forward with the project; I don't know what incentives the Governor offered, although I cannot imagine the Governor's office being so strapped for discretionary funds, or a lack of political might, that he couldn't save the project.

It doesn't make sense.

Either the misunderstanding between Tepper and the City so upset Tepper, that, on principle, he refuses to go forward - and in so doing forfeits whatever monies he has already put into the project - quite a structure is already erected, yet he'll lose it all - or there's another reason that's left untold.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:05 PM

Rock Hill can refute the claim all they want. They are not telling the truth. Rock Hill said that they had done all they could do without negatively impacting the tax payers or something to that effect.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:23 PM

Will Fork is founding editor of Fitsnews. Prior to that he served as press secretary for the Gov of SC. He breaks it all down. He said the he knew before the deal was made that Rock Hill did not have the money to secure the loan. Search - Carolina panthers deal: rock hill South Carolina is coming up short - on fitsnews.

The politicians are trying to shift the blame. But Tepper still wants the deal done. But I bet he is pissed after SC politicians have thrown him under the bus.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:11 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Will Fork is founding editor of Fitsnews. Prior to that he served as press secretary for the Gov of SC. He breaks it all down. He said the he knew before the deal was made that Rock Hill did not have the money to secure the loan. Search - Carolina panthers deal: rock hill South Carolina is coming up short - on fitsnews.

The politicians are trying to shift the blame. But Tepper still wants the deal done. But I bet he is pissed after SC politicians have thrown him under the bus.
Appreciate the reply.

So if what you're saying is true - I am not saying that it isn't - the Governor couldn't come up with funds to salvage the deal?

Something doesn't make sense.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:18 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Appreciate the reply.

So if what you're saying is true - I am not saying that it isn't - the Governor couldn't come up with funds to salvage the deal?

Something doesn't make sense.
The Governor probably had no tools other than calling a billionaire and being like "Hi it's me, the Governor, please don't walk away from this project." It isn't like the state just has billions of dollars sitting around waiting for the Governor to play with, so he would need the legislature to get funds. I think the lack of tools is why SC's Governor was so vague in what they talked about and what he offered Tepper other than telling the media "don't worry I talked to him."

Old 04-21-2022, 11:12 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
The Governor probably had no tools other than calling a billionaire and being like "Hi it's me, the Governor, please don't walk away from this project." It isn't like the state just has billions of dollars sitting around waiting for the Governor to play with, so he would need the legislature to get funds. I think the lack of tools is why SC's Governor was so vague in what they talked about and what he offered Tepper other than telling the media "don't worry I talked to him."
Appreciate the reply. Basically, from my understanding, it's a matter of 80 million dollars, to fund infrastructure e.g. roads, water, sewer.

That's it.

I cannot imagine that someone at the State level cannot come up with the funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte