Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekrunk View Post
At the time I must admit that I didn't realize that it was connected through MY phone line. If you do feel that it is my fault for disconnecting it, then I can understand that, but the issue is that

#1 I didn't realize I was without service
#2 This went on with me making regular payments for 6 years

I mean I can understand CPI not accepting liability for the first year when I disconnected the phone line, and assuming that is stipulated in the contract I can accept that, but 6 years? in the last 6 years CPI never noticed that they couldn't communicate with my alarm panel? I can understand going without a fire or break-in or alarm accident in 6 years, but simply not checking in even once on a 10 year old customer? Sounds a bit negligent to me.

Like I said before, the problem has been escalated thru several levels of management, and so far at all levels (with the exception of a gentleman in the local office) I have been met with understanding, and promises to help come to a conclusive solution.They offered a replacement install with a jacked up contractual price for 5 years.

Did I mention that on the CPI website the basic setup package is FREE and when calling and speaking with a new sales representative I was told that the cellular backup comes as a standard with all the systems.
Your panel has an autodialer. That's what dials the call center in the event of an alarm. Technically, the dialer and the call center never need to "talk", unless you have an alarm. That CPI calls once a year is probably just for the convenience of the customer, and not a requirement. That call is probably made by computer and not a person, and as phone numbers have a pretty rapid turnover, there was very possibly a warm body answering those calls. Seems to me that your choices are switch providers, or accept what they're offering. As much as I want to, I cant see this as being CPI's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
My contract w/ my alarm company (NOT CPI) states that any changes made to my phone lines or changes in my phone # must be reported to them immediately in order to continue service.

I don't know that CPI's contract is the same as my company's but would expect the language would be similar, since your service (as originally installed) is dependent on interface w/ a phone line.

The deal they offered you is actually very good (money-wise) based on my having just yesterday added a back up system in case my phone wires are cut.

I am glad you figured out that your system was not interfaced . . . and hope your fire did not damage anything too badly. Hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
My contract w/ my alarm company (NOT CPI) states that any changes made to my phone lines or changes in my phone # must be reported to them immediately in order to continue service.
Bingo. CPI is being generous with their offer. And when their website says 'Free' be cautious. Nothing is free. Why do you think they make you sign a 5 year contract and boost the monthly rate.

And Like i told you earlier. Unless it is written in your contract that they will check the system for errors every x # of days, then I don't see how it is their fault for you not reporting the change in your telephone service.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM

87 posts, read 342,722 times
I'm not sure about home security system but the system at our workplace would show on the display panel if there's line communication problem. I guess it tries to communicate with the central station periodically.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 PM

40 posts, read 88,923 times
I also have CPI. I call them on a regular basis to do a test. At least once a quarter. I travel often and I want to make sure it works. I wouldn't dream of taking for granted that my alarm worked without testing.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:21 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
What's surprising is that for all those years you didn't hear a constant chirp from the alarm letting you know it couldn't communicate with the outside world. After a power outage my alarm goes off (and it's very annoying and I assume that's the idea) until everything is back in order.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,844 times
Try Sonitrol Security Services

Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
The lesson here: auto pay. If you had to physically pay that bill every month, you would have been more aware of it and thus thought about making sure that it worked.

I agree, 6 years of paying for service that you did not receive is excessive. I also agree, that you PAID FOR A SERVICE THAT YOU DID NOT RECEIVE. I appreciate your angst and even agree with it. Fortunately, they seem like they are, at least, attempting to work with you on this issue. I know pretty much nothing about alarms nor those kinds of contracts, so, I don't know if this is a good deal or not. My alarm consists of two very large, excitable dogs. I KNOW if I don't feed them!!!

Did you contribute to the issue? Yeah, probably. But, you didn't think about it because, again, you did not think about paying that bill which would have triggered a thought...hey, here is the alarm bill...and the monitoring which costs XXX, wait a minute, how are they monitoring me when I don't have a phone line??...or, are there hidden cameras somewhere???

So, whether or not the deal that they offered you is a good one, I cannot comment. But, my advice (for what it is worth) is to NOT sign up with auto pay; physically see every bill that you get and then program your online banking to pay it. Hope that you get it worked out.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 62,622 times
little update here!!

I finally got my contract from CPI and here is the information:

NOWHERE in the contract does it specify that it is the subscriber's responsibility to supply a phone line for the system to communicate through. This brings to light some interesting possibilities. I.E. those of you who are paying a monthly fee for security coverage may be supplying the phone line that this service is provided through. If that is the only reason that you have the phone line then you are paying too much.

The contract I have stipulates the following:

"All charges set fourth herein are based upon existing federal, state and local taxes and utility charges, including, but not limited to telephone company line charges. The CONTRACTOR shall have the right, at any time, to increase the monthly charges provided herein, to reflect the additional taxes, fees or charges which may hereafter be imposed by any utility or governmental agency relating to the installation or services provided under the terms of this agreement, and subscriber agrees to pay the same."

One person in particular has FRAUDULENTLY told me that it is my responsibility to provide the phone line, when in fact it is NOT. I am now pursuing a refund for the entire 6 years of service that I was not receiving.

Furthermore for those of you who have been screwed by the same company they have an indemnification clause on the back of the contract that the person I referred to earlier highlighted attempting to scare me away that goes EXACTLY like this:

"Subscriber agrees to and shall indemnify and save harmless the contractor its employees and agents for and against all third party claims, lawsuits and losses alleged to be caused by contractor's performance, negligent performance or failure to perform it's obligations under this agreement."

DO NOT BE SCARED by this. It applies only to THIRD PARTY lawsuits, like if a burgler were to get hurt on your premises while robbing you and sued you, but you decided to try and say that if the security company had been doing it's job that the burgler may not have been hurt. It does not pertain to the contractor or contracted; "1st and 2nd parties".

I have now spoken with 2 different contract lawyers both of which have verified this information.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
I understand the posters but I don't think it is necessary to give you such a hard time over trying to get some type of compemsation. Looks like an oversight on both sides. Them for not doing their annual test you for not realizing there was a problem.

I don't know what the small claims limit is here in Charlotte, but I would file the suit in small claims. No need for lawyers there. Prehaps the company will offer you a better deal.

Oh... I think you are misreading the clauses you pasted above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: