Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 62,648 times

Advertisements

I'm having a problem with CPI right now:

I started auto pay for CPI in 1999, and have had it ever since, but in 2002 I disconnected my home phone line (land line). I didn't realize at the time that it interfered with my security system, and so i had no reason to believe that it wasn't working correctly. 6 years have passed, and I have had no alarms, until now: I had a fire in my house recently. I was able to control it with no problem, but my alarm sounded, so I called CPI to tell them that they didn't need to send authorities. When I called, CPI told me that there had been no alarm. With further inspection it seems that for the last 6 years they had not been monitoring my panel at all. The representative that I spoke with at the time told me that it is my fault for disconnecting the phone line, but also stated that CPI is required to verify the connection once a year and contact the owner if they are unable to contact the panel. This of course never happened, and as a result I have payed for 6 years of services that I didn't receive.

On speaking to several levels of management in CPI they have admitted that they were in fact supposed to verify the connection, but never did. They offered to replace my system for FREE with a cellular monitoring service (245$) as long as i sign a 5 year contract and agree to have my rate increased to 31$ per month to partially compensate me for the 6 years that they didn't cover me for. Problem is that total paid over that time comes to 776$, so the free mobile device covers less than half of that amount.

I didn't take the offer, and I plan on going with a competitor, but I fully intend on pursuing the CPI matter as I believe I am due a refund (which will hopefully pay for new installation of a different service)

Anyway, the reason I am posting here is that I don't have a copy of my original contract, and would like to know if anyone here has a service agreement contract from 1999-2000 or even a recent one. I'm looking for that line that requires CPI to verify the connection so I can use it as evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,175 times
Well that does sound very wrong. I have CPI and they do call every so often to make sure you know how to use the system, any questions, perform a test, etc. So it seems like it was some database error on their part.

The free cellular equipment is a good thing but then the 5 year contract and rate increase is a slap in the face.

As much as I dislike airing stuff like this in public they could've put a better offer forward. I suspect you got stuck with someone who doesn't want to escalate it so you'll need to escalate it up the chain.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:47 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekrunk View Post
I'm having a problem with CPI right now:

I started auto pay for CPI in 1999, and have had it ever since, but in 2002 I disconnected my home phone line (land line). I didn't realize at the time that it interfered with my security system, and so i had no reason to believe that it wasn't working correctly. 6 years have passed, and I have had no alarms, until now: I had a fire in my house recently. I was able to control it with no problem, but my alarm sounded, so I called CPI to tell them that they didn't need to send authorities. When I called, CPI told me that there had been no alarm. With further inspection it seems that for the last 6 years they had not been monitoring my panel at all. The representative that I spoke with at the time told me that it is my fault for disconnecting the phone line, but also stated that CPI is required to verify the connection once a year and contact the owner if they are unable to contact the panel. This of course never happened, and as a result I have payed for 6 years of services that I didn't receive.

On speaking to several levels of management in CPI they have admitted that they were in fact supposed to verify the connection, but never did. They offered to replace my system for FREE with a cellular monitoring service (245$) as long as i sign a 5 year contract and agree to have my rate increased to 31$ per month to partially compensate me for the 6 years that they didn't cover me for. Problem is that total paid over that time comes to 776$, so the free mobile device covers less than half of that amount.

I didn't take the offer, and I plan on going with a competitor, but I fully intend on pursuing the CPI matter as I believe I am due a refund (which will hopefully pay for new installation of a different service)

Anyway, the reason I am posting here is that I don't have a copy of my original contract, and would like to know if anyone here has a service agreement contract from 1999-2000 or even a recent one. I'm looking for that line that requires CPI to verify the connection so I can use it as evidence.
Perhaps the line verificaion is a new policy, and since your system was older, not required. I dont believe there is a legal requirement to test your line annually, rather this was a courtesy on their part. Long story short, I feel like it was your responsibility to keep your phone line active.

The cellular technology is great, and the offer seems pretty generous. I dont know that you'd find a better deal from any of their competitors.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:40 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
I would certainly try to get a better offer from them or handle it on your own. As I have recently found out with a civil issue, the legal fees alone may far outweigh the benefit of the settlement. In your case, it's not a question. Legal fees would easily be greater than the $770 you want from them.

Hopefully you have good notes about when you called and who you spoke with. If someone told you (especially if it was a manager) that they failed you, you should have the upper hand in this situation. A customer service oriented manager should be able to right this.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:41 PM

677 posts, read 2,238,532 times
Maybe its just me, but I think it is common sense that if you disconnect your land line that any security company can not monitor the system any longer. Unless you have a cell backup. How else would CPI have communication to your system?

When I had CPI, Brinks, Alarmforce and ADT come over and do demos they all made it very clear that if my land line did not function they would not have any way of monitoring and they all recommended a cellular backup (pricey).

As far as your dilemma, I would suggest reviewing your original contract. If you don't have it CPI should have it on record. I would be weary of using a different person's contract. I would study the agreement and see if you have anything in black and white that says it is CPI's fault for not notifying you of the loss of service. I would take that information and go up the chain of command taking close notes on the people you talk to. A celluar backup system free of charge is a nice incentive, but I'll agree that they can probably do more to help out your situation. If your contract is up I would tell them that this expirence has soured your view on the company and will be researching alternative solutions with their competitors.

Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:57 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Maybe its just me, but I think it is common sense that if you disconnect your land line that any security company can not monitor the system any longer. Unless you have a cell backup. How else would CPI have communication to your system?

When I had CPI, Brinks, Alarmforce and ADT come over and do demos they all made it very clear that if my land line did not function they would not have any way of monitoring and they all recommended a cellular backup (pricey).

As far as your dilemma, I would suggest reviewing your original contract. If you don't have it CPI should have it on record. I would be weary of using a different person's contract. I would study the agreement and see if you have anything in black and white that says it is CPI's fault for not notifying you of the loss of service. I would take that information and go up the chain of command taking close notes on the people you talk to. A celluar backup system free of charge is a nice incentive, but I'll agree that they can probably do more to help out your situation. If your contract is up I would tell them that this expirence has soured your view on the company and will be researching alternative solutions with their competitors.

Good Luck!
I would have to agree. I mean exactly how did you think the system was communicating with CPI?? Did they not explain anything to you when they installed the setup? Did they not leave information with you at the time? When I installed my ADT system, they explained stuff to me, they told me about the cell dial up, which they pointed out in the time of hurricanes when land lines might be down, or if a smart burglar was going to cut the phone line to the house, it would still dial the company.

Its not the companies fault you didn't read the information. I think you should take them up on their offer and sign the contract because you are responsible for disconnecting the land line, they didn't do that. You are at least 50% responsible here.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,318,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post

+1

How exactly did you think it connected with the central monitoring office, ESP?

Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

How exactly did you think it connected with the central monitoring office, ESP?
I have to admit I did wonder what became of Dionne Warwick.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM

12 posts, read 62,648 times
At the time I must admit that I didn't realize that it was connected through MY phone line. If you do feel that it is my fault for disconnecting it, then I can understand that, but the issue is that

#1 I didn't realize I was without service
#2 This went on with me making regular payments for 6 years

I mean I can understand CPI not accepting liability for the first year when I disconnected the phone line, and assuming that is stipulated in the contract I can accept that, but 6 years? in the last 6 years CPI never noticed that they couldn't communicate with my alarm panel? I can understand going without a fire or break-in or alarm accident in 6 years, but simply not checking in even once on a 10 year old customer? Sounds a bit negligent to me.

Like I said before, the problem has been escalated thru several levels of management, and so far at all levels (with the exception of a gentleman in the local office) I have been met with understanding, and promises to help come to a conclusive solution.They offered a replacement install with a jacked up contractual price for 5 years.

Did I mention that on the CPI website the basic setup package is FREE and when calling and speaking with a new sales representative I was told that the cellular backup comes as a standard with all the systems.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,318,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekrunk View Post
Did I mention that on the CPI website the basic setup package is FREE and when calling and speaking with a new sales representative I was told that the cellular backup comes as a standard with all the systems.
That is a great deal!
I paid $1xx recently to add cell backup to mine (also CPI).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: