Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,084 times

Advertisements

Let me know how getting an AT&T line for $18 works out for you.

Its like $27 after taxes. I find it hard to believe that CPI is responsible for a phone line.

Let us know how it turns out, maybe I can ditch my local line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
CPI is no mom-and-pop corporation, and you are, I'm sure, not the first unhappy customer that has gone down the "who is required to pay for what" path. I'm fairly certain you're going to find that YOU are responsible for supplying the phone connection and YOU are responsible for notifying them of changes to YOUR telephone service.

IMHO, your only hope is that the yearly/monthly/whenever testing to make sure your equipment is functioning properly is contractual and not just a convenience they have decided to provide gratis. If it is, you are probably entitled to a refund for all the years save the first after your phone service was disconnected. It it isn't, you're likely not entitled to anything.

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:48 PM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,083 times
Default CPI Security system (made by GE) failed several times in a month

I had CPI security system with cellular backup installed a month ago. It failed during installation, but they got it fixed. Then the cellular backup failed a couple days later and they got it fixed by installing a much bigger antenna. Now a month after the installation I had a false door alarm while in STAY mode and I disarmed the system pretty fast although not instantaneously and CPI did not call me on the speak neither by phone at all. I waited for 2 hours and called them. They said there were no signals. Then we did testing by pressing on the Medical alarm and they said it worked, but they returned a call on the speaker in whole 2 minutes. They also told me there was one more alarm from my house after that medical test, which I did NOT initiate. She said I should call the tech. support tomorrow. Then we did yet another test using a silent duress code, waited several minutes, nothing. The system is malfunctioning just a moth after installation. Perhaps it's because it's made by General Electric which is notorious for a low quality electronics, or perhaps just bad luck, but how many times in a month can I have bad luck with the same company, same system? I'm not completely disappointed yet, but my confidence level with CPI now is about 5 out of 10 instead of 9 out of 10 just a week before when the false door alarm went off and CPI called me within 30 seconds. Not to forget to mention they charge almost $50 a month for the monitoring, so it's not the cheapest and I thought will be of a high quality.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:09 PM

6 posts, read 20,710 times
Default CPI Security

They check with us every year. Hopefully you called them with the new telephone numbers when you disconnected. Communication is the key here.

One time my Mother-in-law fell and couldn't get to the security system to turn it off from the stairs coming up from the garage. So they came on, and they stayed on with her, called us at our home so that we could come help her, stayed on with her until we got there. So, I am a big believer and supporter that they can and will do the right thing.

Be sure you did the right thing to by communicating with them what your new phone numbers were and the changes you made to your phones. We have always understood that it was hooked up to our main phone line and that is why we haven't given it up.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM
ytc

5 posts, read 16,683 times
Ok well I agree that CPI security sucks but only on a personal employment standpoint...you should know you need a phone line. I hate that company with a passion but come on, dont be stupid you knew what was going on, and knew you needed a phone line. What happend did your alarm go off and no one called, right? So that gave you room to complain, I hated customers like you

Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times
I had a VERY similar situation happen to me with ADT. I paid them every month for 2 years and finally found out that I was never 'connected' with them. My problem was that they didn't have any towers near me and I had no signal coming into my house. When I cancelled with them and tried to recover some of my money - they told me it was my fault because I am supposed to call them every month to run tests on the alarm. They also have horrible customer service. This is around the time when I switched over to CPI. Only thing I can suggest is to stay away from ADT.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,399 times
I work for the phone company and the first thing we tell our customers who want to cancel their home phone service is that their alarm system will not work.... just saying. you may have outsmarted yourself.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
ytc

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
I had CPI security system with cellular backup installed a month ago. It failed during installation, but they got it fixed. Then the cellular backup failed a couple days later and they got it fixed by installing a much bigger antenna. Now a month after the installation I had a false door alarm while in STAY mode and I disarmed the system pretty fast although not instantaneously and CPI did not call me on the speak neither by phone at all. I waited for 2 hours and called them. They said there were no signals. Then we did testing by pressing on the Medical alarm and they said it worked, but they returned a call on the speaker in whole 2 minutes. They also told me there was one more alarm from my house after that medical test, which I did NOT initiate. She said I should call the tech. support tomorrow. Then we did yet another test using a silent duress code, waited several minutes, nothing. The system is malfunctioning just a moth after installation. Perhaps it's because it's made by General Electric which is notorious for a low quality electronics, or perhaps just bad luck, but how many times in a month can I have bad luck with the same company, same system? I'm not completely disappointed yet, but my confidence level with CPI now is about 5 out of 10 instead of 9 out of 10 just a week before when the false door alarm went off and CPI called me within 30 seconds. Not to forget to mention they charge almost $50 a month for the monitoring, so it's not the cheapest and I thought will be of a high quality.
cellular back up is good b/c you don't have to have a phone however, just like cellular towers lose signal so do cellular back ups. When the cellular back up goes down a test is what is needed to reset the signal...during that medical test...it resets the system good as new but if the signal goes down another test is required...frustrating, but it's like that with every company and cellular back up

Old 06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
ytc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNMHiFiGuy View Post
Ken Gill is the owner and founder of CPI. Barry Rossen is the COO.

kgill or brossen at cpisecurity dot com

I would suggest trying to reach them by email or at the corporate office which is located at 4200 Sandy Porter Rd in Charlotte.

Cellular back-up does NOT come standard with all of their systems. It is a standard OPTION.

Good luck. Just remember, especially when dealing with these two, you attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.
I don't get it have you had to deal with either of these two before?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
This thread is almost two years old.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: