Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 PM

12 posts, read 62,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I understand the posters but I don't think it is necessary to give you such a hard time over trying to get some type of compemsation. Looks like an oversight on both sides. Them for not doing their annual test you for not realizing there was a problem.

I don't know what the small claims limit is here in Charlotte, but I would file the suit in small claims. No need for lawyers there. Prehaps the company will offer you a better deal.

Oh... I think you are misreading the clauses you pasted above.

how so? If you are talking about the phone line being CPI's responsibility the 2 different contract lawyers that i talked to told me that it is called a legal inference. Since there is no stipulation anywhere else in the contract regarding who's responsibility it is to supply a phone line that the part about CPI charging me for any line fees infers that they will supply the phone line. There are no check boxes or areas on my contract that specify how CPI is connecting to their device. I can post the entire contract if you like. Although it will take me a long time to type up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 PM

bump bump

Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Curious about how much your monitoring fee was?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM

21 dollars per month when it started in 1999.
Today monitoring WITH a cellular line is a total of 31 dollars per month

Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekrunk View Post
21 dollars per month when it started in 1999.
Today monitoring WITH a cellular line is a total of 31 dollars per month
So, for 21 bucks a month you expected them to monitor your system AND provide a phone line? Regardless of what the attorneys said, I think that's a bunch of crap. In the absolute best case a basic phone line with minimal service is about $15-20. I think you should buck up, and take a little personal responsibility.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 PM

explain this to me the cheapest cell line you can get is 28 dollars a month and CPI charges 31 per month for service with cellular monitoring. AND fyi can can get a house phone with At&T today for 18.00 per month

lets see 31 minus 28 = 3 dollars profit
21 minus 18 = 3 dollars profit

is it coincidental that those numbers are EXACTLY the same?
anyway....
I went 6 years with no service? What do you mean buck up?? It is negligent on their part to take my money if they aren't providing the service that they professed to be providing.

My house could have burned down
I could have been robbed for everything
and CPI would claim no liability what am i paying for? ...thats almost 800 dollars that i paid for monitoring for 6 years that wasn't going on.

and I should buck up?

tell me something what is your association with CPI security?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekrunk View Post
explain this to me the cheapest cell line you can get is 28 dollars a month and CPI charges 31 per month for service with cellular monitoring. AND fyi can can get a house phone with At&T today for 18.00 per month

lets see 31 minus 28 = 3 dollars profit
21 minus 18 = 3 dollars profit

is it coincidental that those numbers are EXACTLY the same?
anyway....
I went 6 years with no service? What do you mean buck up?? It is negligent on their part to take my money if they aren't providing the service that they professed to be providing.

My house could have burned down
I could have been robbed for everything
and CPI would claim no liability what am i paying for? ...thats almost 800 dollars that i paid for monitoring for 6 years that wasn't going on.

and I should buck up?

tell me something what is your association with CPI security?
I have no association with CPI- I am a healthcare professional.

Are you familiar with how the cellular technology works? The transmitter sends it's signal on a part of the spectrum reserved specifically for alarms. Therefore, it doesn't really require a plan per se.

A land line has to be available continuously. Even with items like ATT's stand alone DSL, I still have a phone number, and a dial tone- just cant make or receive calls.

With such concern for your possessions, it never occured to you in 6 years to verify that the system was working the way it was supposed to?

As much as I generally find myself favoring the consumer over the companies, there is absolutely no way I can lay even 50% of the blame on CPI.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Well I am scheduled to talk with the Director of The manager of the local branch tomorrow, and I will happily post about whatever happens.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
We have CPI with no land line. You don't have to pay for a cell phone to have this service, it just goes through the cell transmitter. I agree with everyone else, it is your responsibility. That sucks that you paid the bill for 6 years w/o knowing, but I also don't know how anyone wouldn't know that security systems work through the phones. I would take the deal - we had to pay for our cell transmitter, and it was a few hundred bucks if I remember correctly.

BTW, nowhere on their website does it say that cellular backup comes standard.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:55 AM

24 posts, read 25,165 times
Ken Gill is the owner and founder of CPI. Barry Rossen is the COO.

kgill or brossen at cpisecurity dot com

I would suggest trying to reach them by email or at the corporate office which is located at 4200 Sandy Porter Rd in Charlotte.

Cellular back-up does NOT come standard with all of their systems. It is a standard OPTION.

Good luck. Just remember, especially when dealing with these two, you attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: