Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

You have yet to provide factual proof to your possibly made up stories of this occuring so what you claim is only worth a grain of salt. Im not saying it did not happen but considering your a new member you do not have the reputation on this forum for us to evaluate what you claim could be possibly legit .
I seriously doubt this has occur uptown due to all the cameras.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 AM

9 posts, read 23,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You have yet to provide factual proof to your possibly made up stories of this occuring so what you claim is only worth a grain of salt. Im not saying it did not happen but considering your a new member you do not have the reputation on this forum for us to evaluate what you claim could be possibly legit .
I seriously doubt this has occur uptown due to all the cameras.
Well think what you will. I wasn't out to push this story though. Once I did see it, and I've seen others like it, I tend to think it's the story behind why there aren't many vagrants in the uptown core - they don't want there asses kicked. Sort of illegal. Leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
I remember when the homeless used to harass people walking around in Uptown. I remember when there used to be panhandlers all over town & I'm glad that they're gone too. I've never witnessed the police beating up vagrants though.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I thought we gave them all free movie tickets?

Seriously though, for about a decade, every time I saw a homeless with a sign around Matthews I stopped.
I gave them a business card, and told them I could give them a job for 45-60 hours per week.

I quit offering since no one ever took me up on the offer.
You can't cure laziness...

Old 07-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You can't cure laziness...
Panhandlers in other cities make a pretty decent income from panhandling. I wonder why they aren't meeting their goals here in CHarlotte?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:09 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Panhandlers in other cities make a pretty decent income from panhandling. I wonder why they aren't meeting their goals here in CHarlotte?
I am in Atlanta frequently and usually stay at two hotels near America's Mart.
One is connected and I can go from my room to the Mart without going outside. If I stay at the other hotel I cannot walk _1_ block without being asked at least 5x for money and/or a cigarette.

Last edited by mullman; 07-25-2008 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigmash View Post
It's nice there's a now a forum to have a circle jerk about how lazy homeless people are and how we don't mind them not being Uptown, but I legitimately am curious about the first question I posed in my initial post before this devolved into a "i'm skeptical of your motives thread."
You're asking us to comment on something that only you have seen & you don't have any news stories to back up your claim. Most people are probably finding it difficult to believe that it happened at all.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
We have homeless shelters around the city and the Salvation Army also provides shelter for men, women and children.

I cannot fathom a police officer beating up the homeless. We have made all sorts of special arrangements in this city to accommodate the homeless (often people who are mentally ill, as well as drug addicts).

I would list all the shelters if this were a thread asking for help but since this is a thread accusing police brutality and w/ no facts to back it up . . . I ain't taking the time to do it.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
FYI:

AWayHome.org: More Than Shelter! - Home

From link above:

MORE THAN SHELTER! represents a movement to the third phase of our community's body of work to address the growing homelessness crisis in Charlotte-Mecklenburg. It builds on Living in the Shadows, An Assessment of Homelessness completed in 2000 and Out of the Shadows, a broad strategic plan developed by a community task force in 2002 with input from well over 125 participants. MORE THAN SHELTER! includes ten-year implementation strategies driven by the Out of the Shadows vision and goals as well as a discreet number of specific and immediate priority actions to take in FY07-08.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Default From a person that doesn't know diddly about the subject

I ONLY know the following: Past three days stayed smack dab in the middle of uptown (Holiday Inn). Tipped over these guys in all three days I was there anywhere in walking distance. Saw your officers (in brown uniforms )walk right by them.
That's all I know. But,if your would like to tackle the subject of civil rights,
abusive tactics by police, and all else that many liberals like to discuss...I am seriously interested if you have some facts behind the subject.

Educate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte