Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times

Advertisements

You could try sending an email to the CMPD's public information officer.
piocommunications@cmpd.org

Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I ONLY know the following: Past three days stayed smack dab in the middle of uptown (Holiday Inn). Tipped over these guys in all three days I was there anywhere in walking distance. Saw your officers (in brown uniforms )walk right by them.
That's all I know. But,if your would like to tackle the subject of civil rights,
abusive tactics by police, and all else that many liberals like to discuss...I am seriously interested if you have some facts behind the subject.

Educate me.

CMPD uniforms are black

Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
You could try sending an email to the CMPD's public information officer.
piocommunications@cmpd.org
Excellent suggestion.

Instead of posting here, write to the public info officer and tell him/her about it and register an official complaint from a concerned citizen. Be sure to give him/her the exact place, time and your contact info so you can back up your claim w/ details so they can find out wh/ officer was out beating up homeless people.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Excellent suggestion.

Instead of posting here, write to the public info officer and tell him/her about it and register an official complaint from a concerned citizen. Be sure to give him/her the exact place, time and your contact info so you can back up your claim w/ details so they can find out wh/ officer was out beating up homeless people.
Yup. I'm sure that there is camera footage stored somewhere of the incident that you described. You could also try bringing the incident to the attention of one of the investigative teams at a local news station.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:49 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
Jigmash, I find your post highly irritating in the sense that you not only throw hare-brained insinuations at our fine city, but you take it a step further to insult the officers who bust their tails to keep uptown safe. How would you thank them if they chased down a mugger that just swiped your wallet at gun point? "Thank you very much Mr. short and angry Ommpa Loompa man!"

If you've got a problem with them, you probably give them a fine reason to be on your case.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 AM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times
There was an article in the paper a couple days ago about restricting the feeding of homeless people Uptown. Apparently one or more persons or groups regularly bring food to feed the homeless...but some business owners and others have complained.

This were similar issues when we were in St. Louis...groups would drive in from the suburbs and set up feeding stations downtown, usually concentrated around a small park. No one really cared until the area started to experience a boom in lofts and restaurants. Then, residents and business owners complained about noise, trash, conduct, etc.

Uptown Charlotte may be too "new" and lack the support services (like shelters, church food pantries, etc) to attract a large homeless population.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
ADR

171 posts, read 518,134 times
If there was a crack down on them , good.

I know that there are a select few who are mentally ill and have no other way, but a large number of them are drug addicts and alcoholics and have no desire to work or earn a living. Ask the next pan handler you run into to mow your grass for $50 bucks. First off, they would not do it. Second if they had $50 they would spend it on drugs and booze. Alot of people feel unsafe walking the streets of downtown when you were being harassed by one of them every block.

Churches, charities, shelters, we can all work through them to offer real help to the seriously mentally disabled who need help. The ones that have chosen this lifestyle and have no desire to change should not have th right to harass the rest of us for money that we just put in a long day for and in many of our cases, when we finish paying our own bills there isn't much left these days.

If you can sit in the same position all day in 95 degree heat you can work.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
There was an article in the paper a couple days ago about restricting the feeding of homeless people Uptown. Apparently one or more persons or groups regularly bring food to feed the homeless...but some business owners and others have complained.

This were similar issues when we were in St. Louis...groups would drive in from the suburbs and set up feeding stations downtown, usually concentrated around a small park. No one really cared until the area started to experience a boom in lofts and restaurants. Then, residents and business owners complained about noise, trash, conduct, etc.

Uptown Charlotte may be too "new" and lack the support services (like shelters, church food pantries, etc) to attract a large homeless population.
We have over 5000 homeless accounted for in our city. A new census will be taking place w/in the month to ascertain if that figure is still accurate - the assumption is that w/ foreclosures, we probably have a higher number of homeless on our streets.

I will be glad to post articles about how we are addressing the issue here in Charlotte. There are many volunteer organizations - plus city $$$ - used to help those who are w/o shelter in our area.

Believe me - we have homeless all over, including SouthPark. A few months ago, city fathers were trying to figure out how to deal w/ the homeless at SouthPark, who were pooping behind shrubbery all around the mall. This creates a public health issue as well as indicates that there are those w/o access to facilities.

Unfortunately, I believe in March or so of this year, the county sent out the word that our resources here are stretched past the limits. In recent weeks, several food banks have released public service messages asking for more donations, as the need has exceeded the capacity for free food for homeless and those w/ financial hardship.

The plight of homeless is not ignored here and homeless are encouraged to take advantage of the help the county can offer, as there are resources for the mentally ill, drug addicts and those out of work, as well as for families w/ no shelter.

To suggest that our police force has been given carte blanche to beat up on helpless, infirm, disenfranchised people is disgusting.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM

If it wasn't the police it may have been private security for one of the buildings or businesses where the incident occured. Either way I'd think that the police would want to know about it.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM

9 posts, read 23,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have homeless shelters around the city and the Salvation Army also provides shelter for men, women and children.

I cannot fathom a police officer beating up the homeless. We have made all sorts of special arrangements in this city to accommodate the homeless (often people who are mentally ill, as well as drug addicts).

I would list all the shelters if this were a thread asking for help but since this is a thread accusing police brutality and w/ no facts to back it up . . . I ain't taking the time to do it.
Im done with this listless board. If you read my original post I wasnt interested in a discussion about police brutality. But of course go trumpet the police's horn, subvert my point, delete my comments and then ban me. Wow. ****ing Charlotte. adios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte