Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Monroe Union County employ illegal aliens, illegal immigration raids on processing plants, undocumented aliens working in factories, seeking opinion on law enforcement stance

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:03 PM

237 posts, read 298,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
If you suspect a business or industry of hiring illegal aliens you can report them at: WeHireAliens.com--Illegal Alien Employer Database brought to you by the FIRE Coalition

Shouldnt it be the federal government providing the policing or reporting services? that is why local and state govment complain . Gastonia was building a huge facility for processing undocumented mexicans (not many chinese or canadians, or even italian, i guess)but they were having problems with their funding (it was some time back in the Gaston Gazette)

One good place to start with would be all the local builders . there would hardly be that many built without the labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
If you suspect a business or industry of hiring illegal aliens you can report them at: WeHireAliens.com--Illegal Alien Employer Database brought to you by the FIRE Coalition

this website is not serious, they can't be. very irresponsible of them.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-27-2008 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 AM

825 posts, read 2,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
Shouldnt it be the federal government providing the policing or reporting services? that is why local and state govment complain . Gastonia was building a huge facility for processing undocumented mexicans (not many chinese or canadians, or even italian, i guess)but they were having problems with their funding (it was some time back in the Gaston Gazette)

One good place to start with would be all the local builders . there would hardly be that many built without the labor.

this website is not serious, they can't be. very irresponsible of them.

States don't have the funding and what little funding comes from the Feds can be hard to get.

Assuming the local builders use a large percentage of illegal immigrant labor, the cost of building a house would be increased. If nobody bought these homes a lot of these businesses would go under. Thousands would be without jobs, both illegal and legal residents. I am not stating I favor the hiring of illegal immigrants but as a previous poster said the cost of products would be much higher.

You're probably right that there are not many undocumented Chinese, Italians or Canadians but I take issue with using the term undocumented Mexicans. Granted, Mexico's proximity to the U.S. does increase the likelihood that an illegal is of Mexican nationality but it's not guaranteed. There are many countries south of Mexico whose citizens migrate northward and of course they have to come through Mexico to get here.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I just throw this out for consideration . . . but w/ a looming economic downturn on the horizon (wh/ I hope is not going to fully materialize, but it could) . . . seems to me that all the talk about "jobs that Americans won't do" is somewhat distorted. When people are out of work and the jobs are not available . . . it is amazing what employment we are willing to take.

I remember the recession of the 70s . . . I was in college and when I graduated, jobs were tough to find . . . and the pay was low when you did find a job b/c employers could get workers willing to accept a job - any job - despite low pay.

I found a Times article about a packing plant in Monroe . . . and even tho the article is a few years old, it does involve Union County and illegals being brought in from Mexico specifically to man the processing plant. It is an interesting read . . .

Who Left the Door Open? - TIME

From everything I have been able to gather on the subject, the biggest Lobbying group AGAINST closing the borders and addressing the undocumented worker situation is the US Chamber of Commerce. Maybe that troubles no one else, but it really disturbs me and is the reason I do not belong to the Chamber. I personally do not believe that America's businesses could not function w/o undocumented workers. For one thing, they cost us, the taxpayers, in services. Secondly, when we turn a blind eye to employers who are engaging in these hiring practices, we are giving them a free ride w/ such costs of doing business as worker's comp and withholding taxes.

Maybe no one else finds that problematic, but I do. And I also feel that encouraging people to come here illegally is ensnaring them into a system that provides them no civil rights protections and makes them little more than indentured slaves.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,436 times
I just moved out of Monroe to Gaston County and I am so happy. I have lived in that town for 8 years and it has been horrible. I would not recommend anyone to move there at all. The town and it's stores, restaurants, and parks are in shambles...I have seen such a decline in the environment since I've lived there it really is a shame. I used to enjoy taking my children to Cane Creek Park swimming and fishing, but now with all the litter it is truly disgusting. The stores are a mess and driving is a nightmare. There are so many illegal immigrants in the town that my children were being schooled in trailors in 1st grade the schools capacity was 700 students and they had 1200. The town just built an elementary school right next to another Elementary school (Shiloh), but they just cannot keep up. They started teaching my kids Spanish in kindergarten so they can speak to the majority of the students in their class. I don't blame the Mexicans for coming to Monroe, but the litter is becoming a bad problem. I wouldn't drink the water in Monroe either and there is a bad sewage problem also. There just aren't enough resources for all the people and again my family and I are so glad to be out of that nightmare.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Send them to Detroit to replace the highly paid, skilled, union employees that can't make a descent car but demand unrealistic salaries and vacation days. I am sure the illegals would work twice as hard for $10 per hour with no vacation. The quality couldn't be any worse.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times
Not familiar with Gaston County at all but I do love Union. My family has been sincerely fortunate to live in Monroe. After 8 years here, I am surprised your view is so limited.

Monroe is a very large community and depending where you are, there is everything from the suburbs to the city to an expansive rural area with beautiful country roads.

Have you ever noticed the Historic District? Beautiful and very expensive Victorians and Cape Cods line the streets. Mature trees and landscaping and gas lamps at the curb. Many of these homes are occupied by professionals, with young families. Teachers, doctors whom work at CMC-Union, attorneys, etc. Or simply people who appreciate the charm and value of established neighborhoods, a real downtown, gorgeous columns, lots of windows, etc.

Monroe is more than low-inome homes, there are million dollar communities here.

I don't know the Monroe of 8 or 10 years ago. Our move here was rather impulsive I must admit but we have not regretted it one bit. I love the fact that Monroe has a real and walkable downtown. Many of the stores have been in decline. However, I first noticed about July 2008 the wonderful changes that were coming about. We have several new restaurants, stores, a great seamstress, etc. The stores are spacious, the owners are nice and helpful. It is wonderful to be able to support local businesses. For the most part, these people are my neighbors. And a lot of them grew up right here in Monroe and they are proud to be instrumental in its transformation. Eventually, every place revolves and I strongly suspect that an investment in Monroe today, will pay dividends in a few years. Didn't you know how up and coming we are?

Didn't you know the Monroe Mall is also being renovated? I don't know much about the project but it will be called Monroe Crossing, I believe they are adding another level, stores are expanding and new ones are coming in, the floor plan is gorgeous.

Monroe is also home to the gorgeous Monroe Aquatics and Fitness Center. My family of four has a full membership for $65/month. Back home in New Jersey, the (wealthy) Somerset County (NJ) YMCA was not nearly as expansive and unfortunately, not accessible to the majority due to the fees.

The facility is more than 80,000 square feet. One of my boys learned to swim there, and the other has perfected his technique and is preparing for competitive swim. The instructors are patient but firm and truly caring. Massage therapy is available, our neighbor's kids take martial arts lessons there, babysitting is offered, my husband lifts weights there, and I do my cardio (sometimes twice a day). OK, maybe not that last part.

During the summer they run a full fledged water park from Memorial Day to Labor Day. And there are no additional fees for members. It happens to be very popular around here.

Monroe has retained some of its original flavor, which is why I like it so much. This area is what I pictured when I decided to move South. I have not encountered one bad experience. There is no pretention here.

It's been a while since I have been to Cane Creek Park but issn't that in Waxhaw? Is your problem with all of Union County? My children nor grandfather have mentioned a litter issue. They are avid fishers there. However, this was your community too. Since it bothered you so much you could have organized your community to voluntarily collect trash. My family does it all the time along 200S and Corinth Church Road and sometimes 75. Unfortunately, many people driving down these country roads have no qulms with throwing trash out their windows. But this is no different from when we had volunteers pick up debris a couple of times a year in New Jersey. If you live somewhere, if you've adopted a place as your hometown, be a good neighbor, get involved and do something. Complaining or disparaging where good, hardworking people live is futile and offensive.

As for the schools, open your eyes. Was your child the only one in a trailer? Was it just here school that had them? Some people compain as if trailers are some kind of newfangled concept. Trailers have been around for years, across the country. Overcrowding in schools is a fact of life. Have you ever been in one of the trailers? I have. Many times. The kids have not been thrown into hell and trust me when I say the parents get more upset than the kids. The children are receiving the same instruction whether they are in the school building or in a trailer.

I mean GEESH, everyone has seen the explosion of growth in Meck and Union counties. Despite your accusation it's not all due to immigrants, unless you mean those of the New Jersey and New York persuasion. Sure, I encounter Mexican families but they are not filling those schools on their own. As for their status in this country, I can't tell by looking at them. Just how fast do you think the schools can be built? And where does all the money come from? Infrastructure has to catch up but trust me, your child was not harmed by learning in a trailer. I doubt there will be any long-term scarring.

The classroom instruction is in English. Yes, Spanish is taught as a second language. But no one taught your child to speak English for the purpose of communicating with her classmates. Your child can be opted out, at your request. If you had approached her teacher or principal, you would have been instructed to sign on the dotted line. And don't worry, your children will never acquire fluency. We've failed in that area. We are about the only major country where most English-speaking people refuse to learn a second or third language. Consider that the acquisition of languages opens your child's world to other cultures and a more global perspective. Consider the advantage your child would have in the business world. Although in a few years, Asian dialects will be the language of business. Prepare for that reality.

Incidentally, are foreign languages not a part of Gaston County schools curriculum? If it's not, sounds like they are behind schedule.

Monroe is not the "nightmare" you describe. And I don't understand why you remained so long if the situation was that distressing to you. People should investigate before following this guy's lead. One of my favorite lines is, "Monroe is so ugly" and I usually ask, "Oh, you've been to Monroe?" Love this reply, "No, but I've seen it from 74!" People must not listen to themselves speak. I don't know many highways that are attractive, particularly at 45 mph. What possibly could one see?

While everyone has their prefrence, and entitled to speak their mind, it should be the truth instead of non-truths.

Sara

Old 09-11-2008, 01:05 PM

11 posts, read 41,332 times
It seems from what I'm reading that those favoring inaction on the issue of illegal immigrant workers also believe America has no choice. We are now so dependent on this illegal work force that we must continue to USE & ABUSE them. I just think that this is folly. We need to be attacking this at all levels including the investigation and prosecution of employers that knowingly hire illegal immigrant workers, detaining and deporting illegal immigrants, and closer to home... each of us should not procure goods or services from providers that we believe are using or benefiting from an illegal immigrant work force. Trust me.... we will figure a way to survive without the illegal immigrant workforce if it is eliminated.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
The meat packing industry has been disgusting for over 100 years.
This is nothing new.
My great-grandfather used to move his cattle via train to the Chicago Stock Yards from a local farm.

And I love meat BTW, but I would not want to work in a plant or see my hotdogs being made...

Old 09-11-2008, 03:49 PM

175 posts, read 546,193 times
Illegal employment is getting to be a HUGE problem Nationwide...not just in Union County. This was one of the primary reasons we moved to CLT from MA. The small town we lived in in Massachusetts was literally taken over by Illegals and my daughter was bored in school because she was one of the few in her class who could actually speak English...the Teacher was frustrated and our quaint little downtown area slowly changed to the point where I didn't recognize what any of the business had become. I guess what we can do is really make sure that we pay attention to who we elect in each and every election.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 PM

172 posts, read 584,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Not familiar with Gaston County at all but I do love Union. My family has been sincerely fortunate to live in Monroe. After 8 years here, I am surprised your view is so limited.

Monroe is a very large community and depending where you are, there is everything from the suburbs to the city to an expansive rural area with beautiful country roads.

Have you ever noticed the Historic District? Beautiful and very expensive Victorians and Cape Cods line the streets. Mature trees and landscaping and gas lamps at the curb. Many of these homes are occupied by professionals, with young families. Teachers, doctors whom work at CMC-Union, attorneys, etc. Or simply people who appreciate the charm and value of established neighborhoods, a real downtown, gorgeous columns, lots of windows, etc.

Monroe is more than low-inome homes, there are million dollar communities here.

I don't know the Monroe of 8 or 10 years ago. Our move here was rather impulsive I must admit but we have not regretted it one bit. I love the fact that Monroe has a real and walkable downtown. Many of the stores have been in decline. However, I first noticed about July 2008 the wonderful changes that were coming about. We have several new restaurants, stores, a great seamstress, etc. The stores are spacious, the owners are nice and helpful. It is wonderful to be able to support local businesses. For the most part, these people are my neighbors. And a lot of them grew up right here in Monroe and they are proud to be instrumental in its transformation. Eventually, every place revolves and I strongly suspect that an investment in Monroe today, will pay dividends in a few years. Didn't you know how up and coming we are?

Didn't you know the Monroe Mall is also being renovated? I don't know much about the project but it will be called Monroe Crossing, I believe they are adding another level, stores are expanding and new ones are coming in, the floor plan is gorgeous.

Monroe is also home to the gorgeous Monroe Aquatics and Fitness Center. My family of four has a full membership for $65/month. Back home in New Jersey, the (wealthy) Somerset County (NJ) YMCA was not nearly as expansive and unfortunately, not accessible to the majority due to the fees.

The facility is more than 80,000 square feet. One of my boys learned to swim there, and the other has perfected his technique and is preparing for competitive swim. The instructors are patient but firm and truly caring. Massage therapy is available, our neighbor's kids take martial arts lessons there, babysitting is offered, my husband lifts weights there, and I do my cardio (sometimes twice a day). OK, maybe not that last part.

During the summer they run a full fledged water park from Memorial Day to Labor Day. And there are no additional fees for members. It happens to be very popular around here.

Monroe has retained some of its original flavor, which is why I like it so much. This area is what I pictured when I decided to move South. I have not encountered one bad experience. There is no pretention here.

It's been a while since I have been to Cane Creek Park but issn't that in Waxhaw? Is your problem with all of Union County? My children nor grandfather have mentioned a litter issue. They are avid fishers there. However, this was your community too. Since it bothered you so much you could have organized your community to voluntarily collect trash. My family does it all the time along 200S and Corinth Church Road and sometimes 75. Unfortunately, many people driving down these country roads have no qulms with throwing trash out their windows. But this is no different from when we had volunteers pick up debris a couple of times a year in New Jersey. If you live somewhere, if you've adopted a place as your hometown, be a good neighbor, get involved and do something. Complaining or disparaging where good, hardworking people live is futile and offensive.

As for the schools, open your eyes. Was your child the only one in a trailer? Was it just here school that had them? Some people compain as if trailers are some kind of newfangled concept. Trailers have been around for years, across the country. Overcrowding in schools is a fact of life. Have you ever been in one of the trailers? I have. Many times. The kids have not been thrown into hell and trust me when I say the parents get more upset than the kids. The children are receiving the same instruction whether they are in the school building or in a trailer.

I mean GEESH, everyone has seen the explosion of growth in Meck and Union counties. Despite your accusation it's not all due to immigrants, unless you mean those of the New Jersey and New York persuasion. Sure, I encounter Mexican families but they are not filling those schools on their own. As for their status in this country, I can't tell by looking at them. Just how fast do you think the schools can be built? And where does all the money come from? Infrastructure has to catch up but trust me, your child was not harmed by learning in a trailer. I doubt there will be any long-term scarring.

The classroom instruction is in English. Yes, Spanish is taught as a second language. But no one taught your child to speak English for the purpose of communicating with her classmates. Your child can be opted out, at your request. If you had approached her teacher or principal, you would have been instructed to sign on the dotted line. And don't worry, your children will never acquire fluency. We've failed in that area. We are about the only major country where most English-speaking people refuse to learn a second or third language. Consider that the acquisition of languages opens your child's world to other cultures and a more global perspective. Consider the advantage your child would have in the business world. Although in a few years, Asian dialects will be the language of business. Prepare for that reality.

Incidentally, are foreign languages not a part of Gaston County schools curriculum? If it's not, sounds like they are behind schedule.

Monroe is not the "nightmare" you describe. And I don't understand why you remained so long if the situation was that distressing to you. People should investigate before following this guy's lead. One of my favorite lines is, "Monroe is so ugly" and I usually ask, "Oh, you've been to Monroe?" Love this reply, "No, but I've seen it from 74!" People must not listen to themselves speak. I don't know many highways that are attractive, particularly at 45 mph. What possibly could one see?

While everyone has their prefrence, and entitled to speak their mind, it should be the truth instead of non-truths.

Sara
Thanks for the great post Sara. You said it so much better than I could have. I live in Monroe too and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte