Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Monroe Union County employ illegal aliens, illegal immigration raids on processing plants, undocumented aliens working in factories, seeking opinion on law enforcement stance

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times

Advertisements

I was prompted to post this after watching a news report about a big raid in another state's processing plant.
I THINK that there are a number of businesses and plants in Union County (Monroe) that employ illegal immigrants.Only my guess from what I have heard.

My question is: Does any law dept. care or has any law dept. taken any pro-active action toward those plants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
No. They don't. Not just in Union County. All over the place. Meat processing plants are notorious for employing illegal immigrants and it is shameful. They work in bad conditions, have no healthcare coverage, and are paid slave wages. I find it disgusting.

There was a fire in the past . . . I think when I was still in KCMO . . . seems like it was in Anson Co . . . hmmm. The doors to the plant were locked, if I remember correctly and people died. I will see if I can find a news article.

Just b/c people are here illegally, doesn't make it right to take advantage of them and treat them like indentured slaves.

Employers are the problem and they should be fined and dealt with.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 PM

Here is a review of that horrible fire, but according to what I am reading, none of the workers were illegal immigrants. Altho this is not an example of illegal immigrants dying in a meat processing plant, it does illustrate how crummy the industry has been run (at least, in the past).

Hamlet, NC Chicken Processing Plant Fire, Sep 1991 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 PM

Is this the situation you were talking about? This was released today - and is about illegals in a meat packing plant that got raided.

After meat plant raid, workers assist labor probe / Illegal immigrant employees at Iowa kosher facility talk of inhumane working conditions

Old 07-27-2008, 05:36 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,552 times
Default Let's focus on Union County and not everywhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No. They don't. Not just in Union County. All over the place. Meat processing plants are notorious for employing illegal immigrants and it is shameful. They work in bad conditions, have no healthcare coverage, and are paid slave wages. I find it disgusting.

There was a fire in the past . . . I think when I was still in KCMO . . . seems like it was in Anson Co . . . hmmm. The doors to the plant were locked, if I remember correctly and people died. I will see if I can find a news article.

Just b/c people are here illegally, doesn't make it right to take advantage of them and treat them like indentured slaves.

Employers are the problem and they should be fined and dealt with.
The OP asked about Union Co and not "all over the place."

Ani, you obviously feel very passionate about this issue but a news article about a situation in Kansas City and Iowa doesn't give the poster any information to help him answer his question. Also, you're generalizing with your answer. What information can you share about Union itself.

Is the OP a resident of Union? I'd be interested to hear what Union residents have to say as they would likely have a "first person" perspective.

The OP could do the following to find out more.

1. Call your state and u.s. congress rep.

2. Call your BBB and ask about illegal immigrants and Union's workforce.

3. Call the sheriff and ask what they are doing (see below).

Here's an article about a federal program that Union is trying to get enrolled in. This report from SOC was a year ago so things may have changed.

Union County Forced To Release Illegal Immigrants After Arrests - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 07-27-2008, 05:40 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,549 times
If you suspect a business or industry of hiring illegal aliens you can report them at: WeHireAliens.com--Illegal Alien Employer Database brought to you by the FIRE Coalition

Old 07-27-2008, 06:22 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,802,273 times
As a former upper level manager at food processing facilities (3 in NC, and 2 in SC) I thank my lucky stars for these "illegals". The bottom line, and ugly truth is that they are an essential part of the food business in the US. You wouldn't want to pay the prices for meat or poultry if they had to pay most Americans for this type of work. We used to pay around $8.00/hr for a job on the kill floor. They were happy to take the job and didn't complain while doing it. Most Americans wouldn't take the job and if they did they wouldn't last a week.

Ani, with all do respect, most of the food plants aren't that bad. I speak from 13 years of experience in food processing. Yes, it's hot/cold/bloody and 9 times out of 10 you don't speak the language of the person next to you, but it's definitely not the run down, roach infested, slave driven type labor that the media makes it out to be.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Thank you, guys! I do respect all of your opinions very much. The first article I posted was from a fire in Hamlet, NC (Anson CO) wh/ is not far off . . . and that is why I thought of it. But that was in 1991 and I would suspect conditions would be very different now (I am sure investigations followed that situation).

The second story was released today, about working conditions, and I am sure you all are right - that is too sweeping a generalization - to assume all plants would be alike.

I agree - I would not want to work in a meat processing plant and I am glad others do. It just concerns me that people are coming here to work and - perhaps I am wrong on this - seems to me they wouldn't be coming if employers didn't hire them.

And no, I really know very little about any meat processing plants in Union Co. Jake - since you are familiar w/ it - your opinion/thoughts would be on target. I have only been in a meat packing plant once - over 20 years ago.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
The OP asked about Union Co and not "all over the place."

Ani, you obviously feel very passionate about this issue but a news article about a situation in Kansas City and Iowa doesn't give the poster any information to help him answer his question. Also, you're generalizing with your answer. What information can you share about Union itself.

Is the OP a resident of Union? I'd be interested to hear what Union residents have to say as they would likely have a "first person" perspective.

The OP could do the following to find out more.

1. Call your state and u.s. congress rep.

2. Call your BBB and ask about illegal immigrants and Union's workforce.

3. Call the sheriff and ask what they are doing (see below).

Here's an article about a federal program that Union is trying to get enrolled in. This report from SOC was a year ago so things may have changed.

Union County Forced To Release Illegal Immigrants After Arrests - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte
Is OP a resident of Monroe? No. Does OP have knowlege of what the story is in chicken processing plants in Union county? Yes. Does OP want to call the State or INS? No.
Was OP's question--Is there any pro-active agency interested in a similar raid as reported in the Iowa facility? Yes.
Carry on.
BTW -Ani's post is relative to the question as it addresses a like and similar situation albiet a different part of the country.
je

Old 07-27-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Is this the situation you were talking about? This was released today - and is about illegals in a meat packing plant that got raided.

After meat plant raid, workers assist labor probe / Illegal immigrant employees at Iowa kosher facility talk of inhumane working conditions
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte