Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 PM

54 posts, read 164,654 times

Advertisements

Hope this works...

This is after 80 days (almost 3 months)...at its worst it was the size of a half dollar and I could put my finger in to the nail bed...never did hurt though.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/Ninor74/spiderbite.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 PM

54 posts, read 164,654 times
The red outer, white crust and blue of the dead flesh are all visible and all traits of the recluse bite.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennysMom View Post
You natives must get a kick out of all us transplants freaking out over the spiders and bugs. I have to say, that's been the biggest adjustment for me since moving down here. Can you help me identify this creepy guy? I am terrified of spiders but I won't kill them because I know the benefits of having them around. It looks like a cross spider but I'm not sure. He's huge though and creepy. Does anyone know what it is for sure and does it bite, is it poisonous? He seems to have taken a liking to our hummingbird feeder.Attachment 27046
KennysMom - Relax, it's an orb weaver spider. They look kind of nasty and have those big webs, but they're harmless. They tend to put up webs during the night to catch moths,primarily. I've walked into a web early in the morning and nearly had one of them crawling on me. I'd take them back in an instant, compared to the number of Black Widow spiders I've killed in the past few weeks! I had a pair of Black Widows right at the bottom of my back door! Give me an orb-weaver any day over a Black Widow!!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Thanks everyone. Although I had a military career that landed me in tents in deserts and jungles, I might now need therapy. I have always hated spiders, but now I am a fanatic. I touch nothing without looking under it to see what is hiding. I hate spiders. I will take a snake any day over one. I had a couple of buddies that were bitten by brown recluses while in the jungles of South America. They ended up with the major hole in their leg that was really terrible. I never heard of them when I was a kid living in Charlotte. Are they a new immigrant from somewhere?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM

149 posts, read 581,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Thanks everyone. Although I had a military career that landed me in tents in deserts and jungles, I might now need therapy. I have always hated spiders, but now I am a fanatic. I touch nothing without looking under it to see what is hiding. I hate spiders. I will take a snake any day over one. I had a couple of buddies that were bitten by brown recluses while in the jungles of South America. They ended up with the major hole in their leg that was really terrible. I never heard of them when I was a kid living in Charlotte. Are they a new immigrant from somewhere?

I am with you Bandi!! Snakes are welcome at my house... now if I could just get them to eat the spiders! We found the largest Black Widow under our well cover!! Scared the bajezzus out of my husband! I have never seen him run that fast in my life! She was huge, and only the first we found. Its like, once you have found one, you find them all!! Eww!!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 582,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
KennysMom - Relax, it's an orb weaver spider. They look kind of nasty and have those big webs, but they're harmless. They tend to put up webs during the night to catch moths,primarily. I've walked into a web early in the morning and nearly had one of them crawling on me. I'd take them back in an instant, compared to the number of Black Widow spiders I've killed in the past few weeks! I had a pair of Black Widows right at the bottom of my back door! Give me an orb-weaver any day over a Black Widow!!
Thank you - I let him be and then went out on that bug site and read about them. I found another one last night hanging in his web between two of our cedar trees. He was huge too - I could clearly see him from our bedroom window! I don't think I'll ever get used to the bugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte