Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 PM

257 posts, read 669,379 times

Advertisements

Overall I felt safe in Charlotte but I was a victim of crime in Charlotte more than any other place I have lived (DC, VA Beach and Chicago). I had my car broken into in Dilworth and was a victim of a home invasion in Cotswold. To me, Charlotte seems really safe but it's not really the case. In Chicago, I can walk through Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Andersonville, Bucktown and even downtown and feel completely safe. I never felt that way in Dilworth due to the crimes commited near South Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM

174 posts, read 477,201 times
Loves, you would know best. Would you say crime in Charlotte 10 years ago was almost non-existent as compared to today. I think another part of newcomers thinking that crime is worse in Charlotte than say NY, LA, Chicago, is that Charlotte is enormous, and it's hard to comprehend where the bad areas are. People hear there was a shooting in N. Charlotte, a robbery in S. Charlotte, a murder in W. Charlotte and really don't have a clue where it actually is. In Long Island, I think crime is worse, but the difference is there are names of towns every 10 miles so you know what areas to stay away from. Here you almost have to mapquest every cross street you see in the Observer to get an idea of the areas to stay away from.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
Loves, you would know best. Would you say crime in Charlotte 10 years ago was almost non-existent as compared to today. I think another part of newcomers thinking that crime is worse in Charlotte than say NY, LA, Chicago, is that Charlotte is enormous, and it's hard to comprehend where the bad areas are. People hear there was a shooting in N. Charlotte, a robbery in S. Charlotte, a murder in W. Charlotte and really don't have a clue where it actually is. In Long Island, I think crime is worse, but the difference is there are names of towns every 10 miles so you know what areas to stay away from. Here you almost have to mapquest every cross street you see in the Observer to get an idea of the areas to stay away from.
It takes several months to figure out where not to go based on news reports of crime. Basically, it is like most other cities. If the neighborhoold looks iffy, it is likely that it is. There should be a color coated map that is colored by the intensity of crime in certain sections. But then, that would be considered racist. I remember back when car renters were being robbed in epidemic numbers in south Florida, Miami wanted to issue a pamphlet to tourist (especially foreigners) warning them of areas to avoid. Despite a number of tourists being murdered for being in the wrong place, it was decided that the warning would be racist. What can you do?? Try to save lives and help others, and you are labeled.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:35 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Loves, you would know best. Would you say crime in Charlotte 10 years ago was almost non-existent as compared to today.
I've been here 12 years & I remember when the big story on the evening news was the fire department rescuing cats from trees. Little by little the stories grew more negative till they were reporting finding bodies in Lake Wylie & carjackings around town. So crime has intensified & gotten worse.

But just like any other large city there are neighborhoods where there is constant crime & there is random crime that floats from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Quote:
I think another part of newcomers thinking that crime is worse in Charlotte than say NY, LA, Chicago, is that Charlotte is enormous, and it's hard to comprehend where the bad areas are. People hear there was a shooting in N. Charlotte, a robbery in S. Charlotte, a murder in W. Charlotte and really don't have a clue where it actually is. In Long Island, I think crime is worse, but the difference is there are names of towns every 10 miles so you know what areas to stay away from. Here you almost have to mapquest every cross street you see in the Observer to get an idea of the areas to stay away from.
I can understand why new folks are filled with trepidation about where crime is concentrated & which subdivisions should be avoided. When I moved here in 1996 & spoke to realtors about what areas were good/bad, I was told that they weren't allowed to give out that info. Fortunately though I had friends here who gave me the inside scoop, much like CD folks do now.

The way that the city is divided up into numbered areas has never meant anything to me. I use compass points, N S E W... Then I look at something like Google Maps or Wikimapia to "see" what's there. Driving around & seeing if the ground view matches the satellite view is useful too. But it can be confusing, for instance a new family researches the city & decides to settle in an expensive neighborhood. They think, & rightly so, that the high price of homes will eliminate the thugs. The other side of the coin is that the thugs know that the people living in this new subdivision have money. They could then assume that these people have the expensive toys that they can sell & that these people more than likely believe that the police will protect them from the thugs. So, you have a neighborhood that is basically wide open for plundering.

Older established neighborhoods are more of a crapshoot for thugs because they don't know if the door that they kick in will be the same one that they fly back through from a shotgun blast or a pistol round.
I think that in the past it was easier for thugs to terrorize their home neighborhoods because the residents knew & feared them. Later, as the city spread out, it became easier to rob others to support drug habits. But things are different. I think that the spoils of robbery aren't enough anymore. I think that now its become more of a power trip for most of them. Why rob a house where no one is home when you can rob one with the family inside & terrorize them? That has to be an adrenaline rush for the average thug.

Don't forget... the thugs know that the police can't stop them. They know that they can get away with any crime they commit. They know that they will be back on the streets the same day to commit more crimes & exact revenge against potential witnesses. Like it or not the only people who can stop this BS are you & I. There are a bunch of threads that recommend pro-active steps to take to enhance personal safety & the safety of neighborhoods. Sorry for the rant.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Basically, it is like most other cities. If the neighborhoold looks iffy, it is likely that it is. There should be a color coated map that is colored by the intensity of crime in certain sections. But then, that would be considered racist.
Putting racism aside I think that the larger problem would be that the thugs could use the map to determine which areas to target next. Otherwise I think that a map would be a very useful tool.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:53 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Default good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I've been here 12 years & I remember when the big story on the evening news was the fire department rescuing cats from trees. Little by little the stories grew more negative till they were reporting finding bodies in Lake Wylie & carjackings around town. So crime has intensified & gotten worse.

But just like any other large city there are neighborhoods where there is constant crime & there is random crime that floats from neighborhood to neighborhood.

I can understand why new folks are filled with trepidation about where crime is concentrated & which subdivisions should be avoided. When I moved here in 1996 & spoke to realtors about what areas were good/bad, I was told that they weren't allowed to give out that info. Fortunately though I had friends here who gave me the inside scoop, much like CD folks do now.

The way that the city is divided up into numbered areas has never meant anything to me. I use compass points, N S E W... Then I look at something like Google Maps or Wikimapia to "see" what's there. Driving around & seeing if the ground view matches the satellite view is useful too. But it can be confusing, for instance a new family researches the city & decides to settle in an expensive neighborhood. They think, & rightly so, that the high price of homes will eliminate the thugs. The other side of the coin is that the thugs know that the people living in this new subdivision have money. They could then assume that these people have the expensive toys that they can sell & that these people more than likely believe that the police will protect them from the thugs. So, you have a neighborhood that is basically wide open for plundering.

Older established neighborhoods are more of a crapshoot for thugs because they don't know if the door that they kick in will be the same one that they fly back through from a shotgun blast or a pistol round.
I think that in the past it was easier for thugs to terrorize their home neighborhoods because the residents knew & feared them. Later, as the city spread out, it became easier to rob others to support drug habits. But things are different. I think that the spoils of robbery aren't enough anymore. I think that now its become more of a power trip for most of them. Why rob a house where no one is home when you can rob one with the family inside & terrorize them? That has to be an adrenaline rush for the average thug.

Don't forget... the thugs know that the police can't stop them. They know that they can get away with any crime they commit. They know that they will be back on the streets the same day to commit more crimes & exact revenge against potential witnesses. Like it or not the only people who can stop this BS are you & I. There are a bunch of threads that recommend pro-active steps to take to enhance personal safety & the safety of neighborhoods. Sorry for the rant.
Barkingowl, you are correct. Thugs are now on a power trip. They know that they are "in charge" and they "run things". Yes, we can protect ourselves, but, this is really bigger than the average citizen.

We really need one of two things: either the law gets really, really tough on these people...sending them off for life....or, we get bigger, badder thugs who aren't interested in small time stuff to run the gang wanna-bees out. (Like the Mafia ).

OK, so, the only REAL solution is to get tough with with them. I am saying that is where we (average citizens) come in. We have to do whatever it takes to force our legislators to take quick, decisive action. Letters, phone calls, whatever it takes. Our tax dollars (among our other $$$) are pouring down the drain otherwise. No area is "safe" in Charlotte.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:11 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
We need Dexter!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 PM

176 posts, read 566,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
We need Dexter!
Or MONK!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM

Or Robocop...

Old 09-13-2008, 03:14 PM

96 posts, read 228,729 times
CRIME IN CHARLOTTE IS CRAZY!!! I am from CT and lived near NYC. NYC crime can be considered bad, but I never had anyone rip me off in my front yard on a cul-de-sac! My brother kept his work trailer in the front yard, in plain view of atleast 10 homes, and some hooligans stole 4500$ worth of tools right out out of his trailer, and worst of all no insurance could cover it! Then my church had their trailers stolen, the crime isn't so much with people getting shot, but thiefs seem to have a whole industry here. Lock your car doors is all I'm trying to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte