Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:43 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,719,917 times

Advertisements

Please excuse the LOUD title. There are just so many, too many, IMHO regarding the subject of "crime in CLT". I have few questions and thoughts on this topic I would like to discuss with our members and guests.

1) Why this impression of CLT? What facts substansiate the notion that Clt is a high crime area?
2) The transplants that are thinking of relocating to Charlotte--where are you coming from? Detroit, N Y, Chi?? Why do you have this impression?? I "live" in NY and own in CLT. I have NEVER felt insucure in CLT.Why are you fearful?
3)What kind of environment do you come from that gives you this impression?City name____________

I have found CLT to be nothing less than a city I feel very comfortable with and can't understand the comments about "So how is the crime situation in Charlotte?"

Talk to us.
je
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,242,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Please excuse the LOUD title. There are just so many, too many, IMHO regarding the subject of "crime in CLT". I have few questions and thoughts on this topic I would like to discuss with our members and guests.

1) Why this impression of CLT? What facts substansiate the notion that Clt is a high crime area?
2) The transplants that are thinking of relocating to Charlotte--where are you coming from? Detroit, N Y, Chi?? Why do you have this impression?? I "live" in NY and own in CLT. I have NEVER felt insucure in CLT.Why are you fearful?
3)What kind of environment do you come from that gives you this impression?City name____________

I have found CLT to be nothing less than a city I feel very comfortable with and can't understand the comments about "So how is the crime situation in Charlotte?"

Talk to us.
je
Please do a search. This topic has been done to death.

The responses will fall into several camps:

1. "Crime has never happened to me in Charlotte, therefore Charlotte is safe."

2. "Crime has happened to me in Charlotte, therefore Charlotte is a war zone."

3. There are "homers" who believe Charlotte is safer than it really is and refuse to believe crime statistics.

4. Those who believe the crime statistics.

5. Those who insist that crime only happens in certain areas and crime will always stay in those areas but not bleed over anywhere else.

There are probably more "camps", but you get my drift.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,987,650 times
Thank the media for the hype.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM

50 posts, read 148,095 times
Theres crime EVERYWHERE i've lived in NY for 20 years, been in Charlotte one year and I had a gun pulled on me at my job, my friend was murdered in his shop and my other friend was robbed at gun point in his store. Crime does happen eveywhere but me personally I felt safer in New York. I used to walk around Broadway at 11-12 at night coming back from a concert and not feel threatned at all. But I don't feel the same way about Uptown. The media does seem to hype crime a lot more down here though. In NY the crime that i've seen, honestly speaking was car breakins and car theft.But i've yet to have it happen to me, however it's happened to my aunt and my grandfather years ago. Now does this mean there's not shootings, gangs and robberies? Of course not, New York does have it's fair share just like everywhere else. However I do not feel as safe walking around uptown late at night as I did in NYC.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana6992 View Post
Theres crime EVERYWHERE i've lived in NY for 20 years, been in Charlotte one year and I had a gun pulled on me at my job, my friend was murdered in his shop and my other friend was robbed at gun point in his store. Crime does happen eveywhere but me personally I felt safer in New York. I used to walk around Broadway at 11-12 at night coming back from a concert and not feel threatned at all. But I don't feel the same way about Uptown. The media does seem to hype crime a lot more down here though. In NY the crime that i've seen, honestly speaking was car breakins and car theft.But i've yet to have it happen to me, however it's happened to my aunt and my grandfather years ago. Now does this mean there's not shootings, gangs and robberies? Of course not, New York does have it's fair share just like everywhere else. However I do not feel as safe walking around uptown late at night as I did in NYC.
I'm wondering if you didn't feel safer walking around New York late night because there were so many other people out there with you. The crowds really thin in uptown Charlotte sometimes - like a Sunday night for example. Fewer people around would make me feel much less safe no matter where I was.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post

Talk to us.
je
je, here's the thing...in the last few years as our population swelled our crime numbers grew. For natives or people who have just been here a few decades like me, that is VERY frustrating. Now, for people coming from other areas of the country and bigger cities, they think our perception of crime is hypersensitive. But when you go from living in a city where you could leave your doors unlocked and never have anything to fear for years, to a city with a growing gang presence and a mini epidemic the last 12 months of home break-ins, we're left feeling like we aren't "in Kanas", er, Charlotte anymore.

It changed so drastically before our very eyes the last few years that it is very disheartening.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:36 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,665,805 times
You asked a very interesting question. It made me go to city-data city lookup for answers. These figures may be apples and oranges because I just realized some of the latest data for some cities are different than others. There was an average crime number for the United States and it may be different for different size cities and I did not notice that either until I had written down the crime rating. But here goes: The higher the number the worse the crime rate.
Raleigh--339
Charlotte 648
Hickory 603
Monroe 527
Wilmington 603
Wilkesboro 590
Culpeper, VA. 347
Boone 205
Blowing Rock 255
Richmond, VA 549
Marshville 315
Denver Colorado 410
Des Moines, Iowa 537
Chicago 604
New York City, NY 253
USA average 321--There were different average numbers on some of these.
Interesting project!
Yep, I believe Charlotte is a little high.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,719,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You asked a very interesting question. It made me go to city-data city lookup for answers. These figures may be apples and oranges because I just realized some of the latest data for some cities are different than others. There was an average crime number for the United States and it may be different for different size cities and I did not notice that either until I had written down the crime rating. But here goes: The higher the number the worse the crime rate.
Raleigh--339
Charlotte 648
Hickory 603
Monroe 527
Wilmington 603
Wilkesboro 590
Culpeper, VA. 347
Boone 205
Blowing Rock 255
Richmond, VA 549
Marshville 315
Denver Colorado 410
Des Moines, Iowa 537
Chicago 604
New York City, NY 253
USA average 321--There were different average numbers on some of these.
Interesting project!
Yep, I believe Charlotte is a little high.
In the post above your's Loves uses the word "perception".This data indicates that it is a lot more than perception. I'm surprised at these numbers as MY "perception" was/is a feeling of comfort and security. Then again my days and nights in CLT are: airport to car. car to work. work to dinner and go to hotel. So, I'm now thinking I live a sheltered life in CLT and would need more everyday type of living there full time to understand what the real story is.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,023,540 times
Number #50 on this list.

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/City%204...gerous_14E.pdf

Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,242,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post

Thanks for that link. This is yet another source that shows that one is statistically more likely to experience crime in Charlotte than in Los Angeles or New York City.

I certainly "feel" safer in Charlotte than I do in Los Angeles. I guess this just goes to show that "feelings" have diddly squat to do with reality when it comes to crime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte