Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 AM

10 posts, read 38,902 times

Advertisements

I live in the neighborhood and hear nothing. Quit speculating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 07:23 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,031 times
You probably do not remember this but a while back there was a plane crash just north (maybe 2 miles )of Berwick on Wallace Neel Road. Quite a few people died and real estate in that area and fell off a cliff. What used to soak up all the noise was the woods around the airport now that heavy clearing is taking place between the airport and 485 the noise will only get worst. Throw in 485 and I would not even consider living close to that area.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 AM

249 posts, read 874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Berwick is less then 2 miles from the Airport. You will hear the engines rev for take off and the thrust reverse and it will be LOUD.....
Maybe you should spend some time in berewick before making assumptions. I rented in planters walk while my home in berewick was being built and let me tell you... it was far far louder there than it is here due to the flight patterns. And I have never heard planes reving etc...

Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
Maybe you should spend some time in berewick before making assumptions. I rented in planters walk while my home in berewick was being built and let me tell you... it was far far louder there than it is here due to the flight patterns. And I have never heard planes reving etc...
Planters walk is 2 mile further south west from the airport then Berewick. I don't believe the noise is less as the planes are higher at that point in their flight path!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:10 AM

255 posts, read 885,174 times
Air planes reving? Dunno about that..
lol

Here are the facts.
http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Airport/About+CLT/Noise+Program.htm (broken link)

One in particular showing where Berwick is (sit's safely outside the "noise" barrier):
http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/ekg3kwipv7bupyproliyltkuii7jcve5d6eom6ndbontxycwdf hf3ezovfks7gcmjft2g5rr6ckjhsacs3itavjgmke/2001good.pdf (broken link)

About the only thing your gonna hear in Bewewick are the boats on Lake Wylie. And trust me that's a good thing.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 PM

249 posts, read 874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Planters walk is 2 mile further south west from the airport then Berewick. I don't believe the noise is less as the planes are higher at that point in their flight path!
Not sure I understand what you are saying... if you meant you dont believe it would be louder at planters walk than berewick I suggest you spend some time at both places. I can assure you it is significantly louder at planters walk despite being farther away due to the flight paths. I'm not going to debate that fact with someone that has not lived in either place while I have.

Now if the new runway (coming in 2011 i think???) alters flight paths than it may be a different story when it opens but right now, frankly noise is not an issue.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxdsp View Post
I live in the neighborhood and hear nothing. Quit speculating.
Speculating is all some folks know how to do I'd go with the opinion of someone who has actually lived there myself.

The plane crash alluded to was Flight 1016 which crashed on Wallace Neel Road west of the airport on July 2, 1994. The crash occurred when it was caught in a thunderstorm microburst. 37 people were killed.

Contrary to the "fact" stated, real estate in the area DID NOT drop off. In fact, the area was in the process of being bought out for further airport expansion and many structures there, including the house that was hit by the cockpit section of the plane, were slated to be torn down anyway. Beyond that immediate area, homes along Walkers Ferry and Dixie River Road have remained in demand for their close location to the water.

Additionally, the nations number one homebuilder, DR Horton, is now building the Vineyards right off Amos Smith Road. I understand there will be 1000 homes there starting in the mid 200's and going up to 2 million. But I guess to some, that's real estate value "dropping off". Go figure.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default Planes and houses

All this plane talk is exactly why I am nervous for my development near Monroe airport.. I am still searching to see if they will have commercial aircraft with their new 7800 ft. runway.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,712 times
Since I'm considering moving to the Berewick neighborhood, I have been there many times and stood outside specifically to gauge the noise level from airplanes and the noise is not bad at all. Contrary to Duke1989 statements, you do not hear planes taking off from the airport and only really only notice the noise when you specifically are searching for it. However, to Contreras-21's point, some ears are more sensitive than others so people interested in the neighborhood should judge for themselves.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 AM

73 posts, read 247,092 times
Hear the noise of airplanes? Really? It has never bothered me and we have lived in Berewick for a year now. You can see them, but never have I heard one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte