Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
OH MY GOSH!!!

Just found out DS lost his job today!! After 8 years at a financial company!!
I can't believe it. Everywhere I turn . . . three friends have contacted me today to say that either a spouse or adult child has lost his/her job since Jan. 1st.

I am just so sorry to hear this, CHI. Did it totally take him by surprise? No idea at all this was coming? That would make it even worse. At least if you suspect something is up . . . how awful.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 PM

Patti - thanx for the sympathy on the Mac . . . but heck . . . it is working for now, anyway! I am using it right now! Smashed up and won't close well but hey - it is still alive!!!

Okay - that old wive's tale is one I have never heard, so if it is local . . . I missed out on it, and heaven knows . . . I thought I was raised hearing all of them . . . (lots of "old wives" and "tales" around when I was growing up!!!)

Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti1042 View Post
Just wanted to ask you all what my girls were doing tonight. They came home from school and said that IF they put a spoon under their pillows there will be snow in the morning. Is this an old wives tale or are they making stuff up? Needless to say, they all have a spoon under their pillows and I just know they will be so dissapointed in the morning when they look out the windows to see no snow. I told them it would be a miracle if it were there.
Ok this is a new one on me I love old wise tales they are getting a second life thanks to to the internet.

Let us know if your girls wake with a ring from the spoon on the side of their faces?

What if... .. while they are sleeping and their nose slips into the spoon and they pop them selves in the head with the handle

Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can't believe it. Everywhere I turn . . . three friends have contacted me today to say that either a spouse or adult child has lost his/her job since Jan. 1st.

I am just so sorry to hear this, CHI. Did it totally take him by surprise? No idea at all this was coming? That would make it even worse. At least if you suspect something is up . . . how awful.
Yes, just blindsided him. They said...after 8 years now...that his work was fine, but, he wasn't the leader that they wanted him to be...yet, none of his workers ever had an issue with getting what they needed done...he is just not a person that promotes himself or is loud; he is more behind-the-scenes. Figured that since it was an automobile finance co., they were looking for excuses and did not want to have to pay a severance to a senior employee.

They had a taxi waiting to take him home (confiscated the car right there) and his paychecks and said...bye...

He is devastated. He has literally worked there since college, even gave up going back to school to finish his degree because of them. Really, really a hard blow.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, just blindsided him. They said...after 8 years now...that his work was fine, but, he wasn't the leader that they wanted him to be...yet, none of his workers ever had an issue with getting what they needed done...he is just not a person that promotes himself or is loud; he is more behind-the-scenes. Figured that since it was an automobile finance co., they were looking for excuses and did not want to have to pay a severance to a senior employee.

They had a taxi waiting to take him home (confiscated the car right there) and his paychecks and said...bye...

He is devastated. He has literally worked there since college, even gave up going back to school to finish his degree because of them. Really, really a hard blow.
How awful - and what a terrible way to have it all come down. I am so so sorry. He is going to have to take some time to even absorb what has happened and to get over the shock. It is a terrible blow and no way to quickly rebound emotionally/mentally. It can be quite paralyzing at first. I am glad he can talk to you about how he is feeling.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ok this is a new one on me I love old wise tales they are getting a second life thanks to to the internet.

Let us know if your girls wake with a ring from the spoon on the side of their faces?

What if... .. while they are sleeping and their nose slips into the spoon and they pop them selves in the head with the handle

That reminds me of that one Charlie Brown strip where he didn't study for a test. Eventually he puts his school book under his pillow believing, almost through osmosis, that the information would seep through the pillow and into his head.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,776 times
Quote:

I hate to say it but in the financial world when it comes time for lay offs there is A LOT of redundancy and cost saves in middle management (which is what it sounds like he was). But the good news is, a lot of companies will go through massive lay off's and a few months later go on a hiring splurge in a different area. Makes no sense to me, but I've seen it happen.

I wish him the best of luck. There's rumors of GMAC heading down to Charlotte too... maybe he could find some work if they get here soon.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
I hate to say it but in the financial world when it comes time for lay offs there is A LOT of redundancy and cost saves in middle management (which is what it sounds like he was). But the good news is, a lot of companies will go through massive lay off's and a few months later go on a hiring splurge in a different area. Makes no sense to me, but I've seen it happen.

I wish him the best of luck. There's rumors of GMAC heading down to Charlotte too... maybe he could find some work if they get here soon.
Thanks, yes, you are right. As mom, the "planner" of the family, I was awake for most of the night trying to figure this out....

Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
How awful - and what a terrible way to have it all come down. I am so so sorry. He is going to have to take some time to even absorb what has happened and to get over the shock. It is a terrible blow and no way to quickly rebound emotionally/mentally. It can be quite paralyzing at first. I am glad he can talk to you about how he is feeling.
Yes, I know. I am going to have to get him on a plan...he is not a good planner...to give him the push to get over this.....

Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,776 times
Within a few days he should get his resume updated and out to potential employers.

Also, the FBI is going through a massive hiring spree right now with over 3000 jobs. It probably won't pay near what he was making before, but a job is a job... and a job with the government has some sweet perks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte