Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 06:21 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,931 times

Advertisements

Well Helloooooooooo everyone! I missed you guys!!!! We had a house full of company till Monday night and I've been sick since Tuesday. Had a stomach bug for a couple of days and woke up today with chills, aches and a sore throat. I thought I was better yesterday so this must be a new thing. I guess I'll start my new year on Monday?
So........looks like Brian is finally going to get to give someone the chair? Good for him, I know he was secretly dying to do that.
Party Poodle is living here now? Is that right? Congratulations and WELCOME!!!
Ani, I was thinking of you while my trees were swaying. I was sure you were going to loose power and wondered if you'd get the generator out to protect those Stouffers. I'm sorry about your laptop. I had to chuckle when I read a post from your son. You are a TRUE addict.
I must say, I was a lil disappointed to read what has happened to the Lorenzo's thread. Ima gonna hafta go out dare!!!
Chi Cubs, I'm sorry to hear your son was let go in such a horrible way. I'm glad you still have a job, though.
Sunny, the pics of your nephew stole my heart.
I'm not sure what else I missed, but I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and am wishing you all a very fine 09. Brrrrrrr

Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
hi, everyone!

welcome back, Ani...sorry to have missed you at Ri Ra's...

to those that were at the party...yes, I am STILL GAINFULLY EMPLOYED!!!!!!!! YEA!!!!!
I'm so glad to hear that "chica" I thought about you off and on all day yesterday, hoping this would be the outcome!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
I'm good thanks! In 2 hours I am going to contribute to the CLT economy and BUY a house. Believe it or not. Strange, isn't it to be buying into this market.
Not only that it's not for flipping it's for me. (well at least for now).
Hope I'm not making a mistake that I can add to the other 456 mistakes I mad in my life.

Talk you you guys later when I reach NY
john

Old 01-09-2009, 07:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I'm good thanks! In 2 hours I am going to contribute to the CLT economy and BUY a house. Believe it or not. Strange, isn't it to be buying into this market.
Not only that it's not for flipping it's for me. (well at least for now).
Hope I'm not making a mistake that I can add to the other 456 mistakes I mad in my life.

Talk you you guys later when I reach NY
john
John - you have meshed so well w/ the scene here . . . thrilled to know you are buying something for yourself. We need every businessman and entrepreneur we can recruit to come to this city and help us build our economy. Okay . . . so I guess you are a carpetbagger . . . I so enjoy what you have added to this forum and am really glad you want to be part of Charlotte. Thank you for choosing US!!!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Doorway - get to feeling better, honey! Nasty stuff goin' round . . . plus taking care of guests. Dear me. We gotta get you back to 100% Doorway!!! Missed your posts . . .

Yes, I miss CD when I can't get online! And the bigger issue is - I can't transmit any of my work, get my data in, etc!!! So I am LOST when the power goes out. Now, if there is adequate light, I will just write stuff and transcribe it on the computer later. But when it gets dark - such a big hassle . . . hard to even read a journal (or a fun novel, for that matter!). They keep telling me that they are fixing things so my part of the grid is more robust. And it is newer - plus underground!!! But when "feeder" lines go down around me . . . well . . . I'm just left in the dark, as it were.

Glad you are back, Doorway!!

And CHI - been holding my breath. So glad you are employed. One day at a time . . . stay optimistic yet realistic (one can do that!!!)

Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,659 times
Ani, you should invest in a verizon/sprint data card as a backup for work. If you have a laptop, you could still send out some information using the cellular network while the battery holds out. Or if you have a generator, just plug the laptop or computer to that.

And remember, to get internet, during an outage, if you plug your router/modem into the generator the signal will still be coming through the cable line or DSL pair.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Ani, you should invest in a verizon/sprint data card as a backup for work. If you have a laptop, you could still send out some information using the cellular network while the battery holds out. Or if you have a generator, just plug the laptop or computer to that.

And remember, to get internet, during an outage, if you plug your router/modem into the generator the signal will still be coming through the cable line or DSL pair.
I am so ignorant about the data cards. My DSL is w/ AT&T and I want an iPhone . . . thought that may help my situation as far as consistency. (Is that right or am I on wrong track there????)

I figured if power outage is widespread, I wouldn't be able to pick up a signal w/ a data card but are they via satellite maybe? I know I sound ignorant - b/c I AM!!! I sooo appreciate learning more so I can make better decisions.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am so ignorant about the data cards. My DSL is w/ AT&T and I want an iPhone . . . thought that may help my situation as far as consistency. (Is that right or am I on wrong track there????)

I figured if power outage is widespread, I wouldn't be able to pick up a signal w/ a data card but are they via satellite maybe? I know I sound ignorant - b/c I AM!!! I sooo appreciate learning more so I can make better decisions.
No worries. If you have DSL/Phone with AT&T you should be able to get discounts if you start a wireless contact with them (iPhone). If the power outage is wide spread, then most likely it will affect the radio towers that hold the cellular antennas. But I'm guessing that at least 80% in our area have diesel backup generators on site that automatically kick in to keep service running, so as long as your laptop has power, you should be able to find signal.

As far as those cards using satellites, that is incorrect. Most data cards work on some sort of 3G network which uses Cellular towers as connection points to the backbone. (3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I hope that helps

Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
No worries. If you have DSL/Phone with AT&T you should be able to get discounts if you start a wireless contact with them (iPhone). If the power outage is wide spread, then most likely it will affect the radio towers that hold the cellular antennas. But I'm guessing that at least 80% in our area have diesel backup generators on site that automatically kick in to keep service running, so as long as your laptop has power, you should be able to find signal.

As far as those cards using satellites, that is incorrect. Most data cards work on some sort of 3G network which uses Cellular towers as connection points to the backbone. (3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I hope that helps
It helps me a BUNCH! I know what I gotta do . . . re-work a contract w/ AT&T and get myself set up so that I can transmit data during outages! DH was actually in a rather critical situation yesterday morning. A client needed DH's financial data and it was a HUGE hassle to relocate in order to finish up the project and then transmit the data. I guess I just need to do a cost analysis and move on w/ some decisions. Sadly, DH's company supports Blackberry but not iPhone.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It helps me a BUNCH! I know what I gotta do . . . re-work a contract w/ AT&T and get myself set up so that I can transmit data during outages! DH was actually in a rather critical situation yesterday morning. A client needed DH's financial data and it was a HUGE hassle to relocate in order to finish up the project and then transmit the data. I guess I just need to do a cost analysis and move on w/ some decisions. Sadly, DH's company supports Blackberry but not iPhone.
Not many companies support the iPhone. Compared to Blackberry, the iPhone's enterprise security standards suck. The iPhone still has a long way to go before it is ready for large scale enterprise deployments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte