Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 01:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
We are actually a sept of the keith clan the surname can be spelt I think 3 different ways and all are techinally correct.

The easiest spelling mistake to correct is Mac or Mc they are both the same and they both mean son of.
I know, & the name in question is a Mc name. So far no MacLachlans from Scotland are tested to compare & no MacLaggans, at all, last I checked. On the other hand, with the clans & septs, there's also the "adopted" members, who bring a different DNA, & then there's the rapes of the highland women, after Culloden. What a mess!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:55 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
Total mess and not easy to straighten out.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Total mess and not easy to straighten out.
That's for sure!

I realize that there are numerous accents involved, but would you mind if I DMed the surname to you, with the 2 other names testing with us, to see if you think that Maclachlan or MacLaggan might be the original name?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
Be my guest.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Be my guest.
Thank you so much!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:23 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Like Celtic Woman, they are a manufactured group which is heavily marketed on PBS. One of the men is from Scotland & another from the Republic of Ireland, but the rest are from Northern Ireland. This hits home with a large portion of US citizens as so many of us can trace our ancestry to Ireland, Ulster Province, or Scotland. LOL, 3 of them look like they could be members of my mother's family.

Try running the names of the individuals in the group past your mother. She is much more likely to know of one or two individuals than the whole group.

Some of the men have appeared in the local studio for one of the Philadelphia area PBS stations. They have heavy accents. While some places, Philly being one of them, have enough people speaking English with accents, that are not North American, that people will understand them, that is not true in all areas of the US. They might have been instructed to just "shut up & sing" for fear that if they started bantering, they would not be understood by the majority of people in the audience. Just a thought.

Sorry I can't believe the accent thing. One of the lovely things about Irish groups is their ability to tell a story about what they are singing about. If they did this and perhaps got the Irish dancer to dance more than half a step perhaps some of the Irish might go and see them LOL The Irish ones that saw them at the Cricket arena said never again.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,659 times
I'm sure that all you genealogists will know this but just in case, Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library on Tryon (downtown) have a fantastic lady there who is very helpful in the area of Scots Irish coming to North Carolina. I can give you her name if you DM me.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Sorry I can't believe the accent thing. One of the lovely things about Irish groups is their ability to tell a story about what they are singing about. If they did this and perhaps got the Irish dancer to dance more than half a step perhaps some of the Irish might go and see them LOL The Irish ones that saw them at the Cricket arena said never again.
Just a guess on my part as far as the accent goes. During one appearance on the local PBS in Philly one of them did comment that they had been at several PBS stations around the country for fund raising, & at some of them they were instructed to speak as little as possible, for fear of the audience not underatanding them.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM

290 posts, read 818,109 times
Quote:
In one of her books she is pictured with standing stones, the are actually in Callanish, Isle of Lewis.

The nearest "stones" to Culloden are Clava Cairns and they are burial mounds from 4000 years ago.

In case you are wondering I am from Inverness and my Sister lives in Culloden.
You know what Scotsman, I always thought she was at Stonehenge,DUH! It has been a dream of mine for a long time to be able to go to Scotland.. It is definitely on my future to do list.. How wonderful you are from there.. She stated on her website that there werent actually stones where she had placed them in Scotland.. What did she call them? Craig na Dun? Obviously you read the books.. did you like them? They are huge arent they lol

Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
So, what's on TV tonite, LOL.

Where did everyone go? I have not checked the forum for 4 or 5 hours and everything seems awfully quiet . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte