Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM

30 posts, read 385,969 times

Advertisements

OK, I already searched here on forum about this but still confused & have some questions. Hope someone will offer me some feedback/opinions.

I'm a female in my early 50s who permanently relocated here to Charlotte from NY State at the end of August 2008 when I finally gave up my NY apt. Not a property owner, just been renting here in Charlotte since March 2008. Also have never owned a car, probably will never own one, haven't really driven since I first got my license in 1984 (except for a few times practicing driving in early 2005) but have kept renewing my license all along just in case & to avoid having to pass a road test in the future! My NY Drivers License expires by my birthday in June this year (2009) so I need to renew it here in NC.

-- I didn't switch to a NC license within 30 - 60 days of my permanent move here (late Aug 08) but how would the DMV know about that?

-- Looked online at the NC Drivers Handbook & it's full of info but what specifically do I have to study to pass the written test? Just the Signals & Signs chapter? Or the whole thing? (Hey, if anyone can PM me with specific info about what's on the test so I know what to study, that would be great! Remember, I'm NOT driving a car, won't endanger you on the road-- I take public transit, walk or ride a bike, that's all!)

-- Barely passed the vision test the last time I renewed my drivers license in NY 8 yrs ago when I was 46. (at that time, passing a vision test was the only requirement for that renewal.) Till my mid-40s, always had perfect eyesight, never wore glasses till a few months before my license renewal, so did not bring the prescription glasses with me-- didn't realize I would have trouble with a vision test since I never wore these distance glasses except for watching TV or movies (& still only wear them for that.) Haven't updated my eyeglass prescription since 2001, probably need to do that before taking the vision test here in Charlotte, right?

-- Or can I just use my reading glasses to pass the vision test? (Just using cheap magnification glasses from drugstores.)

-- Since August 08, I've used a UPS store mailbox address here in Charlotte to receive my mail (also only used a UPS address in NY since 2005.) Have never used my actual home address here for my mail. Will there be a problem using my UPS address (it's NOT a PO BOX but a street address) when I apply to the DMV to renew license? Before anyone accuses me of being suspicious, a terrorist or something, I'm a US citizen, born & lived in NY state all my life till last year, no criminal background, no arrest warrants or anything like that. My main reason for not wanting to give the DMV my actual home address is that I'm trying to keep that info away from a family member who's been personally threatening me about a family conflict (an inheritance) since early 2005. I've successfully kept my address hidden from him since then by using a UPS address & don't want to make it easy for him to find me now & harrass me, show up at my door! Also, I've moved 3 times since living in Charlotte, always sharing a place with a roommate (currently sharing w/ a male platonic friend) so don't consider my current address as permanent, might not stay here much longer.

Hope there's someone helpful & nonjudgmental here who can offer me assistance with these questions-- Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,419 times
Test - it can be any combination of the rules of the road. Mine included things like following distance, when to turn on your signal before a turn, what are safe driving actions on icy roads, questions about how many points for a certain type of infraction... I can't remember much more as far as specific questions since it's been two years. And yes, it included a sign recognition portion.

Vision test - you can wear any glasses you want. Obviously, you want some that will improve your vision sufficiently to pass the test. Your license will then say that you must wear corrective lenses for driving, but since you're not going to use it it shouldn't make any difference.

I don't know about the address - you have to provide something like a bank statement that verifies your address, so I would think that if you're having that stuff sent to the UPS address no one is even going to ask you - I know they didn't ask me any questions about whether or not that was actually my residence.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:15 PM

415 posts, read 1,150,773 times
I don't think you will have any trouble with the 60-90 day issue. I moved here from Florida and did not get my license here until after I had been here about 2 years. Where you can have issues is at a license checkpoint - if they notice that you have NC plates, and a NY license, they will ask you about it. But, I didn't have any trouble at the DMV.

Regarding the eye test - bring your glasses, but try the test without them. When I took it, the eye test was ridiculously easy and I do not have any restrictions on my license.

As far as the actual test, just study the handbook (which is available online) and you should be fine. Take the practice tests that are in the online handbook.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook

I don't remember if I had to produce anything for the address or not.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:18 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
I didn't switch to a NC license within 30 - 60 days of my permanent move here (late Aug 08) but how would the DMV know about that?

They won't.

-- Looked online at the NC Drivers Handbook & it's full of info but what specifically do I have to study to pass the written test? Just the Signals & Signs chapter? Or the whole thing?

I seriously recommend you at least read through the whole thing at least once. I learned at least one "new" thing last time I read it.

But for the test, you can look at this. Some people have found it helpful:
Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam

The key, the lady at the DMV told me, is, "Don't over-think it." She was totally right.

-- Haven't updated my eyeglass prescription since 2001, probably need to do that before taking the vision test here in Charlotte, right?

I would just because it's not good for you to not be able to see, you know?? But yes, you will need to be able to see to pass the test.

-- Or can I just use my reading glasses to pass the vision test?

It's a distance vision simulation. Reading glasses may not work.

Will there be a problem using my UPS address (it's NOT a PO BOX but a street address) when I apply to the DMV to renew license?

You will have to provide proof of address per the guidelines on the DMV site, but they don't actually do anything to verify it further.

Hope there's someone helpful & nonjudgmental here who can offer me assistance with these questions-- Thanks!

Hope that helps.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM

314 posts, read 1,136,606 times
I JUST got my NC license in January. I moved here in August 2008 as well.

The sign test is part of the vision test. They check your vision, then have to give some road signs. There is a portion where you have to identify the type of sign with just the shape, which I found difficult. It's easy to identify a railroad crossing sign by the big X on it, but with no writing at all, a yellow circle doesn't scream Railroad to me.

The written test was all over the charts as far as what you need to know. I went through the handbook and skipped over a lot of it thinking it wouldn't apply, but it did. You need to know how to handle the car in bad weather, stop sign rules, such as who goes first when everyone arrives at the same time, what are the consequences to getting points on your license and what happens at various point levels, and what the state's laws for DUI are, such as at what point level are you considered intoxicated, what the penalties are, and so on. I thought it was just going to be on rules of the road, so to speak, but it covered much more. Study everything.

I have been living here longer than 60 days, but they didn't even ask really. He asked how long I've been living here, and I said a couple of months. He said "ok, I just have to make sure it hasn't been longer than a year." Not sure what happens at the year mark.

I'm also have a mailbox at the UPS store, and I'm renting a room from someone until I get a house. You have to prove residency with something addressed to you. I brought in a bank statement with my UPS Store mailbox address on it. Here's the kicker though. You can't have a mailbox as your address on your license. You have to have the address where you physically live. Since I had nothing with my name on it at that address, I had to give the address I'm currently residing and sign an affidavit stating that I am not lying about living there. That is the address that goes on your license. They have your mailing address different in the system though, so everything get mailed to the right place. Also, I had to pay $2 for the affidavit, which has to be cash or a seperate check from any other checks you write that day.

I hope that helps.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:03 PM

30 posts, read 385,969 times
Thanks to those who responded. I did a search on the North Carolina part of this forum & got some more helpful info. And to JStevens44, you said "You can't have a mailbox as your address on your license" again, this is NOT a PO BOX but reads like a street address. Think I'll take a chance with it-- don't think they'll question me & later if someone catches it, I'll just correct it. (Again, I won't actually be driving!) Basically, just don't want to make it easy for this family member to find me & harass me & no problem if he has access to my UPS store address.

ALSO, since my current NY State license expires on my birthday in June 2009, if I take the written test & switch to a NC license a few months before June 09, will I then have to actually "renew" that NC license again by my birthday in June? Confused!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
you can test your vision just by looking at this thread close one eye and if you can see the text you will be ok. I cant see the text in middle when I close my right eye just the outer edges and the lady ask if I use corrective lens and I said no ( I didnt know I got this bad off) and she passed me on it.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttw View Post
ALSO, since my current NY State license expires on my birthday in June 2009, if I take the written test & switch to a NC license a few months before June 09, will I then have to actually "renew" that NC license again by my birthday in June? Confused!!!!!!
Your NC license will be valid for a period of 5 or 8 years depending on your age. Ages 18 through 53 will be issued for 8 years. Ages 54 and older will be issued for 5 years.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
I think you have most of the info you need. I also took the test recently and also had a little trouble recognizing the blank signs as part of the vision test. I mean... what is a blank yellow triangle? Fortunately my wife had just quizzed me on the 5 sided sign (school crossing sign). I did miss a couple of the signs but it wasnt a problem. The written test is given on a computer and if you answer them all right they don't even let you finish the test. As soon as you "pass" they end the test. Likewise, I suspect if you miss too many and fail they will also stop the test.

One thing, in North Carolina you have to show your actual social security CARD. It is not enough to know your number, you must produce the actual card. So if you don't have one you will have to get it from the Social Security office.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Many states issue cards for ID purposes that look like a driver's license but isn't. It's for people who have to have an ID, like cashing a check, but who don't actually need to drive. Does NC have this? and would it help you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte